CFZ No more earning "Trust"

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I have always been a Jerry supporter. I have also believed that treating players as Jerry does couldnt but help us keep players that we want to keep. But after what just happened with Gregory, I hope our front office just learned a very valuable lesson that I actually learned about 20 years ago.

I coached club sports. I got along with my parents incredibly well and more importantly, my players did and most still do love me. I have been to 12 former players weddings and I have 2 more coming up in the next year. Players dont ask you to their weddings unless you mean something to them. One of the kids getting married this year, I havent coached since 2006.

That being said, we had a TREMENDOUS team and they were all age eligible to return to my team the following Summer. We would have dominated and had a legit shot at winning nationals. These parents all agreed they were going to return the following year. Then 3 "Gold," teams came calling. I wont explain it in detail, but these are older teams that were getting seen by colleges, even though my players were young. 3 of those players that were TREMENDOUS up and left me. It broke my heart, because, much like Jerry, I was more than just a coach. I loved those kids. In the end, those parents will always do whatever they feel is best for THEM. Screw the team and absolutely screw whatever relationship you think you have. I decided that year that I would NEVER allow myself to get that close to my players again as I couldnt take that stuff personally any longer, it was simply too emotional.

This is it for Jerry. Players will always do what is best for them.... the Cowboys better learn that and start doing the same. There is VERY LITTLE loyalty out there. Look how unhappy Rodgers was in GB. Remember when they drafted Love? All of the sudden it was about lack of respect and trust and Rodgers wanted out. 4 years and 200 million dollar contract later, the packers love and respect him again.....lol

Players dont give one crap about you Jerry. You shouldnt give on crap about them. This is why I never shed a tear when we boot a player. My loyalty has and always will be about the team and never the player. I actually spent 4 or 5 hours at a bar table watching college football and sharing drinks with Gregory 3 years ago when he was suspended, I actually remember telling that to his face. He was cool and gracious, and I wish him nothing but the best......but the team is my concern, not the player. Time to wake up Cowboys... you just got the shaft. Dont cry about it, learn from it.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry gets too attached to these guys.

Jerry has forgotten that it's a business and these players only like him for what he can offer them. Gregory schooled Jerry every step of the way and he's not the first to do it and he won't be the last.

If you need any proof that Jerry let's his attachment to guys interfere with the quality of product on the field then you need to look no further than Jason Garrett. Even after Garrett left Jerry said that "Garrett will win a Super Bowl as a head coach somewhere". Garrett can't even last 2 seasons as a offensive coordinator. Jerry is an old, out of touch fool that gets taken advantage of.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I have always been a Jerry supporter. I have also believed that treating players as Jerry does couldnt but help us keep players that we want to keep.

But after what just happened with Gregory, I hope our front office just learned a very valuable lesson that I actually learned about 20 years ago.

So did you learn it 20 years ago or after what happened with Gregory? :huh:

I've been trying to tell you about being a Jerry supporter, but it's your time and your money. I'm sure he appreciates your support.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So did you learn it 20 years ago or after what happened with Gregory? :huh:

I've been trying to tell you about being a Jerry supporter, but it's your time and your money. I'm sure he appreciates your support.

I learned to not get attached to my players and think those parents have an ounce of loyalty long ago. Has little to do with supporting Jerry, as I think they do a pretty decent job for the most part.

The Red Sox went like 725 years with no WS titles. It wasnt just because they had bad management.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there is one truth beneath all of this that we haven't really discussed and it relates to this part-time GM job of his, he is lazy. Oh, he'll go anywhere for exposure but the true nuts and bolts of being a GM in the NFL are not in his wheelhouse.

That is one tough job and it never stops because they have to constantly be prepared for anything as we saw with the Rams GM, Snead, this past season as well as the Bucs GM, Licht, the previous season.

A lazy GM announces his team ready and begins the sales presentation and a real GM is too busy and occupied to show off. Plus, he reports to an owner than expects a certain amount of time devoted to a high paying position, and one so critical to the success of his franchise.

Now, we get another look behind the curtain with this Gregory embarrassment. The owner delegates to the son and the son delegates to the contract negotiator, whom I did not know existed with that title, and they lose a prized possession of the owner. It seems this country club atmosphere just continues to grow.

Booger is a really bad GM because of the lack of respect he gives to the job of General Manager. He is just like I was when my Dad succinctly described the difference between a boy and a man. And I was a man's age at the time. He said "a boy does what he wants to do; a man does what he has to do". Booger is a boy in a man's job.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Red Sox went like 725 years with no WS titles. It wasnt just because they had bad management.

Titles are very tough to win. Many recent greats have one or none.

It's not about the lack of championships lately for me.....it's that we haven't won a damn divisional playoff game in 26 years.

People talk about "Super Bowl" when we haven't even come CLOSE since we all had pagers on our belt.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think there is one truth beneath all of this that we haven't really discussed and it relates to this part-time GM job of his, he is lazy. Oh, he'll go anywhere for exposure but the true nuts and bolts of being a GM in the NFL are not in his wheelhouse.

That is one tough job and it never stops because they have to constantly be prepared for anything as we saw with the Rams GM, Snead, this past season as well as the Bucs GM, Licht, the previous season.

A lazy GM announces his team ready and begins the sales presentation and a real GM is too busy and occupied to show off. Plus, he reports to an owner than expects a certain amount of time devoted to a high paying position. and one so critical to the success of his franchise.

Now, we get another look behind the curtain with this Gregory embarrassment. The owner delegates to the son and the son delegates to the contract negotiator, whom I did not know existed with that title, and they lose a prized possession of the owner. It seems this country club atmosphere just continues to grow.

Booger is a really bad GM because of the lack of respect he gives to the job of General Manager. He is just like I was when my Dad succinctly described the difference between a boy and a man. And I was a man's age at the time. He said "a boy does what he wants to do; a man does what he has to do". Booger is a boy in a man's job.
All so ego boy could step in and claim it was all him should things just happen to go right.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A lazy GM announces his team ready and begins the sales presentation and a real GM is too busy and occupied to show off. Plus, he reports to an owner than expects a certain amount of time devoted to a high paying position. and one so critical to the success of his franchise.

One of the best descriptions of our GM situation as I’ve ever seen. The absolute truth.

Bigdog

Reaction score
This has been this way in American culture for over 30 years. It happens all the time in corporations. It is not like our grandfathers or fathers culture that you move up the corporate ladder by being faithful to your employer but by horizontal to other companies and moving up. When I was in graduate school, I had to read this book called the Decline of the American Dream. Basically, it discusses that the corporations are not going to be loyal to the employer so why should the employer be loyal to the company. Unfortunately it is the world we live in and Jones needs to take note of it. He needs not to get too close to to the players. This is a business.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I learned to not get attached to my players and think those parents have an ounce of loyalty long ago. Has little to do with supporting Jerry, as I think they do a pretty decent job for the most part.

Yes, but they still made to multiple World Series and endless ALCS and Playoffs. They just didn’t win it all.

The fact they went from 1918 to 2004 winning it all doesn’t mean they had dysfunctional ownership or Mgmt. And they have won 4 times since with a total of 13 championships.

This franchise this era can’t get past divisional round. We have a distinct obstacle and handicap to overcome with our dysfunctional ownership and toxic atmosphere which undermines our coaching staff even when we do accumulate some talent.

It totally discounts any theory or analysis if you’ve bought into Jethro’s ways in any form. He is the one constant throughout our lack of success this era.

MyFairLady

Reaction score

A lazy GM announces his team ready and begins the sales presentation and a real GM is too busy and occupied to show off. Plus, he reports to an owner than expects a certain amount of time devoted to a high paying position, and one so critical to the success of his franchise.

This is a very well written an accurate description. I say the same thing here 10x per day but I use short childish jabs instead as it is easier and I am not getting paid for it. Thanks for taking the time to write it up properly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Real GM’s can’t get too attached to their players. They must always plan for worse case scenarios while hoping for the best.

GM’s aren’t celebrity football personalities. Most couldn’t name 5 in the NFL while they can probably make most Coaches.

Their HC’s are the face of their franchise. This is what really separates our football operations from most. And this is why Jethro parted ways with Jimmy who became the face of our franchise.

Unfortunately there’s really not room on the Cowboys for anyone else. It is what it is and why we are what we are.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not many critics bigger than me of Jethro but I’m really not surprised with Gregory departure.

And we just don’t have the kind of discipline in place to manage these problem type of players.

For a 2nd round risk pick however many years ago we received some return on him. Last year really was probably one of the best . But I have no issue moving on from him. And I don’t blame him for wanting to go to a legalized state without worry of arrest, suspensions or fines.

Unfortunately it is a loss of talent . But this is one I really don’t get all of the stink about it. He wasn’t one I had penciled in we’d keep.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Real GM’s can’t get too attached to their players. They must always plan for worse case scenarios while hoping for the best.

GM’s aren’t celebrity football personalities. Most couldn’t name 5 in the NFL while they can probably make most Coaches.

Their HC’s are the face of their franchise. This is what really separates our football operations from most. And this is why Jethro parted ways with Jimmy who became the face of our franchise.

Unfortunately there’s really not room on the Cowboys for anyone else. It is what it is and why we are what we are.
Sad but true....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not many critics bigger than me of Jethro but I’m really not surprised with Gregory departure.

And we just don’t have the kind of discipline in place to manage these problem type of players.

For a 2nd round risk pick however many years ago we received some return on him. Last year really was probably one of the best . But I have no issue moving on from him. And I don’t blame him for wanting to go to a legalized state without worry of arrest, suspensions or fines.

Unfortunately it is a loss of talent . But this is one I really don’t get all of the stink about it. He wasn’t one I had penciled in we’d keep.
You don't have to look far for proof.

Booger decides to bring in one of the most volatile players in the history of the NFL in Owens and his HC tries to establish the territory with you are "the player" and I am "the coach" but Booger one ups that with "I am your breakfast companion". He not only takes on the risk but enables further risks.