No more overtime

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
For a while where I work, they said, "If you want to work any overtime, go for it." We were short on people, so they did that. I said, "Pfffft driving Uber, I'm going for this." And I stayed late on my shifts. I came in on the weekend and got extra bucks. That's come to an end. We all got an email this morning to the effect of "No more overtime." Bummer. I'm not mad. I understand it's about the bottom line and they need to do what they need to do. It was nice while it lasted. I didn't need a second job. I could just work more of the job I have and get paid OT for it. For a while I was planning to drive Uber, but as I've learned more about it, I'm having second thoughts.

Them

Reaction score
...So...your topic is about ..."working overtime?"...lol... Ok!...I can add nothing!:grin:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I'm not sure what sector you work in, but it's probably due to the oncoming economic slowdown. (well, and the high threat of a serious recession coming within the next 12 months) A lot of companies are starting to tighten their belts in preparation. (ignore what political and talking heads say, watch what real companies are actually doing. That is where the truth comes from) Sitting on the cash on hand rather than continuing what they've been doing for the last ten years is not a dumb thing to do at this point in time. While it might end your current overtime appetite today. Hopefully that will be the extent of it over the next couple of years if your company properly prepares.

Actually, I'm slightly concerned with my company. While they are very sound financially. We are talking about opening a new manufacturing / warehouse facility in the D/FW area in time for Oct 2020. That is a massive capital investment happening right at the doorstep of an economic downturn.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Overtime? OVERTIME???? Hell, I made sure that they didn't get a full 40 out of me. You give them that once and they'll end up expecting it all the time.

Hardline

Reaction score
I was thinking this thread was about football games ending after the fourth quarter even if it's a tie.

I been averaging 60 hours a week at my job . That's about all the overtime I want.
I wouldn't worry too much about the economy. Most of the news coming out is manufactured to create an economic panic before the election. The economy in Texas is literally booming.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I was thinking this thread was about football games ending after the fourth quarter even if it's a tie.

I been averaging 60 hours a week at my job . That's about all the overtime I want.
I wouldn't worry too much about the economy. Most of the news coming out is manufactured to create an economic panic before the election. The economy in Texas is literally booming.

More jobs open here than people to fill them.

That's the economic down turn.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Overtime? OVERTIME???? Hell, I made sure that they didn't get a full 40 out of me. You give them that once and they'll end up expecting it all the time.
:lmao2:ditto...I start sweating my last hour in angst to get the hell outta there

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I might work a second job if I can find something that gives me a lot of control and pays enough. I had considered driving Uber before we had our overtime boom, but now I'm having second thoughts. There's an online site where you can tutor foreign English speakers. I'm good at languages (I speak 3 of them), so I might do that.