No more running down the middle

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That would be ideal but if his College play is indicative of his Pro play he'll pretty much just clog the middle. From what I can gather he didn't have a lot of stops and didn't show much ability to push the pocket either. BUT, the good news is that is enough for us. We have other guys to do those things. As we all know, we desperately need someone to keep OL off of our LBs because they can't shed blocks for crap and we added a couple more in the draft that can run like the wind but also have trouble separating once engaged. I think if this kid works out it will be a big step in the right direction.

Yup, with Parsons on the team, just clogging the middle should be sufficient for us. I think the days of teams getting 8 yards per carry on us are over. They might get 3 at best now.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s going to take more than one fat guy to fix this matador defense. Hope is a good thing. But at this point, that’s all it is.

Aven8

Reaction score
Maybe he will turn into a Gilbert Brown type.

Man I forgot about him! I remember he would have to take a break for a minute because he couldn’t breath but would come back out and wreak havoc. He use to do that shovel dance like he was digging. I hope he’s half as good!

J-man

Reaction score
I would like to think we're going to be much better against the run with or without him inside. This team obviously did it's best to upgrade the run defense by going out and getting run defenders both in FA and in the draft.

Urban and Watkins are better run defenders than pass rushers. Parsons is a beast against the run. Odigi is very tough inside and Bohanna, well he's just massive.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It’s going to take more than one fat guy to fix this matador defense. Hope is a good thing. But at this point, that’s all it is.

Not sure anyone is saying he alone will fix it. However we needed the big man up the middle, we signed Urban and Woods, we have Gillamore and now Odighizuwa. We have added LB incluing Parsons. I think all of those are big addition to help shut the run game out that was killing us so badly last season. Cowboys had the fewest passes thrown against them because teams did not have to throw when they could run at will. Bohanna alone you are right but those other parts can make a big difference

Big D

Reaction score
I think we have a better unit than whats perceived. We ended the previous season full of optimism thinking we had one of the brightest young LB combos in the league. And tried last season to bolster the DT spot but it was the perfect storm of events that did our defense in.
  • Fatboys McCoy and Poe never played a snap
  • new coordinator and system
  • no time together to install or practice said system (Covid)
We'll be much better off this season.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't take the hype bait on this one. If he ain't playing nickle defense he will be used mostly on short yardage defenses which will be maybe 30% of the plays. That means the other 70% of the time other guys have to step up for the run D to actually get better.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I would hope not. We just need him to clog up the middle, push the pocket, and stuff the run. A few sacks would be nice, but simply clogging the middle, pushing the pocket, and stuffing the run is what he can do.
nah i seen guys just like him similar to snacks but closer to ex packer i believe names gilbert or whatever his name is and Vince wolfork comes to mind,

all had huge roles at NT for a long NFL career..we finally have at least prospect to eat space and he enjoys doing it,.,this isnt some fat player we are trying to convert..this is payer that knows his role and takes pride in doing it well..

Turk

Reaction score
Don't take the hype bait on this one. If he ain't playing nickle defense he will be used mostly on short yardage defenses which will be maybe 30% of the plays. That means the other 70% of the time other guys have to step up for the run D to actually get better.
I am always amused by people that think they are experts.
And those that think if you cannot rush the passer you should be shot.
Apparently Joe King is one of them.

lockster

Reaction score
I think we have a better unit than whats perceived. We ended the previous season full of optimism thinking we had one of the brightest young LB combos in the league. And tried last season to bolster the DT spot but it was the perfect storm of events that did our defense in.
  • Fatboys McCoy and Poe never played a snap
  • new coordinator and system
  • no time together to install or practice said system (Covid)
We'll be much better off this season.
Poe never played a snap? Then who was I watching getting pushed all over the field like they were on skates?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
nah i seen guys just like him similar to snacks but closer to ex packer i believe names gilbert or whatever his name is and Vince wolfork comes to mind,

all had huge roles at NT for a long NFL career..we finally have at least prospect to eat space and he enjoys doing it,.,this isnt some fat player we are trying to convert..this is payer that knows his role and takes pride in doing it well..

I'd be so happy if Bohana becomes the next Vince Wilfork.

lockster

Reaction score
If you don't have two men on him, you will see his rush. Right up the middle, walking all over just one offensive lineman. A true NT, has two men on him , because one man can't stop him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If you don't have two men on him, you will see his rush. Right up the middle, walking all over just one offensive lineman. A true NT, has two men on him , because one man can't stop him.

Exactly, and then you factor in Parsons, and we can now blitz effectively. We can stop the run. We can sack the QB and, maybe even, force fumes while sacking the QB.