No plan B, by Leighton Vander Esch

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I know I’m in the minority here but I’ll throw it out there: am I the only one bothered by the fact that this kid hunted wolves?

I’m an NRA guy and generally have no problem with hunting, but wolves and bears? Seriously? Why would anyone want to hunt down endangered species?

It’s the one thing that’s been bothering me...

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the whole “Plan B” thing.

I mean, you hear people all the time be like, “If what I really want to happen doesn’t work out, I guess I’ll go with Plan B.” And I get it. I really do. But sometimes, there’s no room for a Plan B, you know? Sometimes in life it’s just gotta be Plan A or bust.

Like: No alternatives. One path. Period.

That was definitely my mindset growing up (more on that in a bit), and — now that I think about it — that do-or-die, go-for-broke mentality is one this Cowboys team ended up adopting earlier in the season.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/leighton-vander-esh-enter-the-wolf-hunter

That was a cool read. Thanks for posting blog post.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
the op's opening gave the impression they were his thoughts

I gleaned. I did not infer.

If you say he gave the impression, then there wasn't much gleaning going on.

infer
verb

in·fer | \in-ˈfər \
inferred; inferring
Definition of infer

transitive verb

1: to derive as a conclusion from facts or premises

The facts were he was posting the opening to the article. Lots of people post the opening to an article as a lead in to get people to click. Granted, they usually will add a read more to indicate this. But that isn't relevant when you also add in the text of yours that he gave the impression, which means you inferred his meaning. Otherwise you would have worded it in a way that showed you were not assuming his thoughts by an IMPRESSION.

Words have meaning.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the whole “Plan B” thing.

I mean, you hear people all the time be like, “If what I really want to happen doesn’t work out, I guess I’ll go with Plan B.” And I get it. I really do. But sometimes, there’s no room for a Plan B, you know? Sometimes in life it’s just gotta be Plan A or bust.

Like: No alternatives. One path. Period.

That was definitely my mindset growing up (more on that in a bit), and — now that I think about it — that do-or-die, go-for-broke mentality is one this Cowboys team ended up adopting earlier in the season.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/leighton-vander-esh-enter-the-wolf-hunter
While I can congratulate those that are determined enough (along with lucky enough) to succeed with their "Plan A", there is no such thing as "Plan A or Bust" mentality. There are too many undefined variables and uncontrollable situations to say with any certainty that Plan A will work out.

Taking "Plan A or Bust" literally, if we as humans lived by that mentality, the chances of humans as a species existing today would be slim to none.

Example, what is LVE going to do if he suffers a major injury in the next year or so? Is he going to kill himself as that is what the "or Bust" implies. Or is he going to move on and attempt to be successful in the next chapter of his life? I really hope he is able to move on when (there is no if there) needed.

Again, I'm not saying don't do everything in your power to reach your ultimate dream and Plan A, but for 99.9999999999...% of humans that have ever existed in the history of mankind, they have to go on past "Plan A" to survive. Then looking at some of the most successful people to ever live, it was because they learned from their Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, .... failures and found out how to truly succeed.

No disrespect to anyone, but just pointing out a serious fallacy with the "Plan A or Bust" mentality.

cern

Reaction score
If you say he gave the impression, then there wasn't much gleaning going on.

infer
verb

in·fer | \in-ˈfər \
inferred; inferring
Definition of infer

transitive verb

1: to derive as a conclusion from facts or premises

The facts were he was posting the opening to the article. Lots of people post the opening to an article as a lead in to get people to click. Granted, they usually will add a read more to indicate this. But that isn't relevant when you also add in the text of yours that he gave the impression, which means you inferred his meaning. Otherwise you would have worded it in a way that showed you were not assuming his thoughts by an IMPRESSION.

Words have meaning.
I gleaned from his impression. you inferred from my gleaning.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I know I’m in the minority here but I’ll throw it out there: am I the only one bothered by the fact that this kid hunted wolves?

I’m an NRA guy and generally have no problem with hunting, but wolves and bears? Seriously? Why would anyone want to hunt down endangered species?

As a wildlife photographer, my initial and visceral reaction was negative.

That being said.... I have to attempt to understand the perspective of the people who live in the places where these animals roam freely. Many of them have their livelihoods based on livestock production. Bears and wolves are threats to their investments and income.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
If my life is on the line, those beasts are meeting their maker

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
LOL. I bet she did. She's a classy person. :thumbup:
:lmao: I'm sorry, but , that " duct- taping of the left front fender of her hi-way speed CHARIOT " story She'd once imparted upon us,,,:lmao2:,,,,far surpasses the mere terminology of CLASSY:thumbup:

according to my categorized casing-liner of qualifiers:lmao2:

* I've always just finished "yanking them off the rest of the way& the devil hisself be dammed" & kept on toolin' thruo_O

* true story ,as I'd snagged the handle of a 2" gate valve on the wellhead tree of an oil well once in a little red ( ,,,er,,,77? :huh:)Mazda mini-pickup truck,as the land owner of the lease it was on was being a "Richard Head" & had disc'd up my access road , so ,I ( being a RICHARD HEAD MYSELF)was doing about 42 hi-speed laps around that oilwell to reestablish an level work environment ,,,ER,,,and steered in a bit to close,,,SHEESE! talk about teaching yerself a lesson? It took me about two hours to replace that gate valve that I'd bent the stem on:confused:

:laugh::lmao::laugh:

ThreeandOut

Reaction score

He’s not hunting an endangered species. That would be illegal.

pancakeman

Reaction score
While I can congratulate those that are determined enough (along with lucky enough) to succeed with their "Plan A", there is no such thing as "Plan A or Bust" mentality. There are too many undefined variables and uncontrollable situations to say with any certainty that Plan A will work out.

Taking "Plan A or Bust" literally, if we as humans lived by that mentality, the chances of humans as a species existing today would be slim to none.

Example, what is LVE going to do if he suffers a major injury in the next year or so? Is he going to kill himself as that is what the "or Bust" implies. Or is he going to move on and attempt to be successful in the next chapter of his life? I really hope he is able to move on when (there is no if there) needed.

Again, I'm not saying don't do everything in your power to reach your ultimate dream and Plan A, but for 99.9999999999...% of humans that have ever existed in the history of mankind, they have to go on past "Plan A" to survive. Then looking at some of the most successful people to ever live, it was because they learned from their Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, .... failures and found out how to truly succeed.

No disrespect to anyone, but just pointing out a serious fallacy with the "Plan A or Bust" mentality.

"Plan A or Bust" stories from the people living out their Plan A are inspiring.
But remember, "Plan A or Bust" stories from the people who busted don't get written.

jrumann59

Reaction score

As a wildlife photographer, my initial and visceral reaction was negative.

That being said.... I have to attempt to understand the perspective of the people who live in the places where these animals roam freely. Many of them have their livelihoods based on livestock production. Bears and wolves are threats to their investments and income.
He’s not hunting an endangered species. That would be illegal.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/09/03/wolf.hunt/index.html