Noah Brown, The steal of the Draft?

Sydla

Reaction score
I think you're projecting.

I have no "angst" whether Butler stays or goes. He's hardly enough of a factor either way to cause anyone "angst".

In all honesty, I hope the team can afford to keep 6 of them this year, considering the investment. At this point, given how little they have at TE and RB, I can see them doing it.

I don't know. Some of you seem to have an issue with my statement that Butler is likely a lock on the 53.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know. Some of you seem to have an issue with my statement that Butler is likely a lock on the 53.

I definitely disagree with it. But there's no anger or "angst" involved, especially when we're talking about the last or next to last wide receivers sticking around.

I was just curious as to your mindset in feeling strongly about Butler one way or the other.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I definitely disagree with it. But there's no anger or "angst" involved, especially when we're talking about the last or next to last wide receivers sticking around.

I was just curious as to your mindset in feeling strongly about Butler one way or the other.

I think we can all agree Bryant, Williams, Beasley, and Switzer are locks.

If they carry 5 WRs, I'd bet Butler is a lock. If Dez or Williams were to miss any time, they'd want an outside WR with size. Butler isn't great by any means, but he has experience. He's familiar with the offense. Brown has the size, but is extremely raw. Hard to see the team wanting to trot him out as as a significant contributor (in terms of snaps) if an injury occurred.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we can all agree Bryant, Williams, Beasley, and Switzer are locks.

I'd say no doubt about that.

If they carry 5 WRs, I'd bet Butler is a lock. If Dez or Williams were to miss any time, they'd want an outside WR with size. Butler isn't great by any means, but he has experience. He's familiar with the offense. Brown has the size, but is extremely raw. Hard to see the team wanting to trot him out as as a significant contributor (in terms of snaps) if an injury occurred.

I'm not sure yet, and I don't think anyone can say with any degree of certainty. Butler had a really bad finish to the season, and if Brown looks at all capable, it wouldn't surprise me if they value four years of Brown over one year of Butler.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's no lock at all. Switzer is a lock due to his return ability.

Butler and Brown will be battling for that 5 WR spot. Butler only signed a 1 year deal with only 300k guaranteed and his play has been iffy at best. His spot is far from locked up.

I agree. He was insurance, but not expensive insurance. He drops balls like he often does in camp, and he might not make the roster. Andy Jones did almost take his place early in camp last season. If he didn't choke when the lights came on, he probably would have.

Butler, at least before last season, used to have a reputation for caring more about the things football could give him than he did about football.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I agree. He was insurance, but not expensive insurance. He drops balls like he often does in camp, and he might not make the roster. Andy Jones did almost take his place early in camp last season. If he didn't choke when the lights came on, he probably would have.

Butler, at least before last season, used to have a reputation for caring more about the things football could give him than he did about football.

I bet Andy Jones thinks about those gamedays constantly. Hopefully he finds a fix.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Like his size and hands. Hoping somebody doesn't snatch him from the ps.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
And Brown will get a shot but I have doubts he's definitely going to beat out a vet the team clearly likes. I hope he does though. Because if Brown outplays Butler, it means our 4th or 5th WR is really good because Butler is a decent backup WR.
Brice sucks dude. And the team won't factor in his familiarity with the offense. If he gets clearly outplayed by a youngin he's gone. It's that simple. He's in a fight for his job, Switzer isn't

Sydla

Reaction score
Brice sucks dude. And the team won't factor in his familiarity with the offense. If he gets clearly outplayed by a youngin he's gone. It's that simple. He's in a fight for his job, Switzer isn't

LOL. Yeah he sucks.

You guys crack me up.

funkytown

Reaction score
Noah Brown has a chance to make this team. Watching highlights, I love the way he blocks. He's fierce. His size is something needed on this team, and he's still growing. Physically he reminds me of Dez or T.O.

The only thing with him is age and inexperience. 20 years old? Red shirt Sophomore who probably should have stayed in school. Given the time and reps this guy can give us what Butler gives and some.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Noah Brown has a chance to make this team. Watching highlights, I love the way he blocks. He's fierce. His size is something needed on this team, and he's still growing. Physically he reminds me of Dez or T.O.

The only thing with him is age and inexperience. 20 years old? Red shirt Sophomore who probably should have stayed in school. Given the time and reps this guy can give us what Butler gives and some.
I wonder why he came out early if he didn't get significant playing time and wasn't going to be a high draft choice? Any idea?

funkytown

Reaction score
I wonder why he came out early if he didn't get significant playing time and wasn't going to be a high draft choice? Any idea?
I read a quote where he basically stated that your football life is short. Due to injuries it can be taken away from you at anytime. So he wanted to get started with his pro career.

Maybe he's afraid of a Jaylon Smith situation or since he's from Ohio State a Maurice Clarett type injury. He's had injury issues in high school and college

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Butler is a near-lock, but they will like this guy Brown's blocking. They interview the WR coach on the radio the other day, and he is adamant about WRs blocking. Butler was not that good as a blocker last year. TWill and even Lucky were better blockers than him. Brown appears to love blowing up DBs with his blocks.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we keep 6 WRs

X: Bryant, Brown
Z: Williams, Butler
Slot: Beasley, Switzer

Yeah and 3 TEs. Witten, Swaim, Gathers. I think they move on from Hanna.

You can't keep 5 if 2 of those are Beasley and Switzer. They are limited players. They provide nothing for you outside. You'd have just one backup on the active roster for your starters. I think when you make the decision to draft Switzer you're either moving on from Beasley (highly unlikely) or you're keeping an extra WR on the 53. That could be Brown or it just as easily could come from roster cuts in the summer.

Last edited: