Noah Brown, The steal of the Draft?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
hardly. A Jerry Rice type is a once in a decade player - or greater - you don't need to find that high of a player to be the steal of the draft

To save you the trouble of reading further for my point, I'll explain my comment:

1. This is a very, very deep draft in which players expected to contribute and make a career for themselves is very deep.

2. In order to be THE STEAL of the draft, the player must be one who makes the greatest contribution or has the greatest career compared to any one taken after him.

So, for example, if Jamal Adams and Xavier Woods have stellar careers, win Super Bowls and are voted to the Hall of Fame, obviously, Xavier Woods (if no other player drafted below him accomplished as much) would be THE STEAL OF THE DRAFT based on where he was taken, even in comparison to where Adams was taken.

3. The above two points being the case, a player like Noah Brown would have to have a stellar career (I said Jerry Rice, but I was using hyperbole to stress how great he would have to be to become the steal of the draft in such a deep draft) to even be considered the steal of the draft. Of course, this assumes that no other player from this deep draft does as much as he does.

The classic example of this is Tom Brady. He was taken with the #199 pick in the sixth round in the 2000 NFL Draft. His resume includes 7x Super Bowl appearances, 5x Super Bowl wins, 4x Super Bowl MVP, 2x NFL MVP, 12x Pro Bowls.
Two other players came from that draft who were picked low: Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (5th round, #149) and Dante "The Human Joystick" Hall (5th round, #153). Both made the Pro Bowl.

But there is NO DOUBT that Brady was THE STEAL OF THAT DRAFT. I would imagine that Noah Brown would have to come somewhere close to a Hall of Fame career -unless the other guys stink it up - to be THE steal of the draft.

Now, if we're talking A steal of the draft, then that's another matter. :)

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
To save you the trouble of reading further for my point, I'll explain my comment.

1. This is a very, very deep draft in which players expected to contribute and make a career for themselves is very deep.

2. In order to be THE STEAL of the draft, the player must be one who makes the greatest contribution or has the greatest career compared to any one taken after him.

So, for example, if Jamal Adams and Xavier Woods have stellar careers, win Super Bowls and are voted to the Hall of Fame, obviously, Xavier Woods (if no other player drafted below him accomplished as much) would be THE STEAL OF THE DRAFT based on where he was taken, even in comparison to where Adams was taken.

3. The above two points being the case, a player like Noah Brown would have to have a stellar career (I said Jerry Rice, but I was using hyperbole to stress how great he would have to be to become the steal of the draft in such a deep draft) to even be considered the steal of the draft. Of course, this assumes that no other player from this deep draft does as much as he does.

The classic example of this is Tom Brady. He was taken with the #199 pick in the sixth round. His resume includes 7x Super Bowl appearances, 5x Super Bowl wins, 4x Super Bowl MVP, 2x NFL MVP, 12x Pro Bowls.

There is NO DOUBT that Brady was THE STEAL OF THE DRAFT. I would imagine that Noah Brown would have to come somewhere close to a Hall of Fame career -unless the other guys stink it up - to be THE steal of the draft.

Now, if we're talking A steal of the draft, then that's another matter. :)
tyke. You said: "2. In order to be THE STEAL of the draft, the player must be one who makes the greatest contribution or has the greatest career compared to any one taken after him."

I think you meant drafted before him?.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
tyke. You said: "2. In order to be THE STEAL of the draft, the player must be one who makes the greatest contribution or has the greatest career compared to any one taken after him."

I think you meant drafted before him?.

May I should have said before and after. I chose after because if a player chosen before him has a greater career, then that player becomes the steal of the draft by default. See my Adams and Woods examples.

If Adams has a greater career than Woods and anyone chosen after him (Adams) then Adams (not Woods) becomes THE STEAL of the draft.

How can you be the steal of the draft when everyone picked ahead of you is expected to achieve more than you will?

Or looking at it another way, in the 1989 draft, Aikman (1st overall), Barry Sanders (3rd), Derrick Thomas (4th) and Deion Sanders (5th) were taken in the top five picks and each of them are Hall of Famers. But the steal of the first round was Steve Atwater (20th) because he accomplished more than anyone after him. I say this because not only was he a consistent Pro Bowler, but he's being considered for the Hall of Fame, something no one else picked lower than he is being considered for. Aikman, the Sanders boys and Thomas can't really be considered the steal of the draft because they were expected to accomplish great things based on how high they were taken.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Noah Brown is flying under the radar because of all the other great draft picks but I think he could eventually be the best pick the Cowboys made in this draft. He has good hands and raw talent that can be coached up to be a descent WR. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress he makes in training camp.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Noah Brown is flying under the radar because of all the other great draft picks but I think he could eventually be the best pick the Cowboys made in this draft. He has good hands and raw talent that can be coached up to be a descent WR. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress he makes in training camp.
He sounds a lot like a raw Dez Bryant. Could be interesting in a yr or two.