CFZ Noah, Dalton, Dorrance, and Cooper: The Guys You Didn't Want

plasticman

Reaction score
Every preseason there were numerous threads about how the Cowboys should get rid of these guys, how they were taking up a roster spot unnecessarily. They were fringe players, posters claimed, who were never going to amount to anything.

And, by the way, I'm not excluding myself. This isn't a "I told you so". This is just a small tribute to the blue collar players that typically don't get the accolades. Quite the opposite.

Why are they still on the team? The Cowboys should cut them to make room for "________".

"They are only keeping Dalton until Blake returns."

"All Noah can do is special teams."

"Dorrance Armstrong can't get in the same zip code as the opponent's quarterback."

"Get a real backup QB. Cooper Rush is just a warm body."

There are two concepts that I think many Cowboys fans don't take into consideration.

The first is familiarity. The longer a player remains on a team then the more he knows his teammates and usually the coaches. They know the system. They know their plays and their role on the team. They go to practice every day with their teammates. They form bonds.

The second is constant improvement when it comes to the quality of their play, their physical conditioning, and football education. They get better through constant practice. They get stronger through conditioning programs monitored by their coaches. They learn and acquire new skills and techniques.

I would say that the difference between the "fringe" players that make it and the ones that don't are their dedication to constant improvement. Coaches often consider their attitude and willingness to do whatever their teams need them for whether it is special teams or their preparation in the event they are needed on the field.

With the start of training camps these guys were considered "bubble" players almost every preseason. However, they were also in the top 300 college players at some point, the cream of the crop. In high school they were perennial All-State or All-City, the best in their school, perhaps even in their school's history. These are proud athletes.

We enjoy getting our 1st round draft picks and watching them make large contributions to their teams. It's easy to have those expectations, that's why they were drafted in the 1st round.

However, what is a major attribute on teams that consistently win? It is their ability to find players in the lower rounds or rookie free agency that make positive contributions. The Cowboys seem to be succeeding in that category despite fan perceptions that tend to judge players as final products out of college.

shabazz

Reaction score
I’m still looking for better talent at the Qb position than Rush and Prescott.

it is true that elite qbs don’t grow on trees but with the status quo we would need the 85 Bears, Legion of Boom or the Ray Lewis Ravens defense reincarnate to win a Super Bowl with either of these quarterbacks.

it’s a helluva lot easier to replace 1 Elite quarterback than it is to build an entire elite defense. Both of our present quarterbacks can win a division like the NFC East, but outside of it….not so much.

this is just one endowed man’s opinion……nothing more

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I have a problem with damn yeah every player on this team. Because I don't like the way the front office has built this team. I want us to be a dynasty again, but the front office hasn't dissected how dynasties are built. The blueprint to a dynasty is hidden in NFL history.

Of the players you've mentioned the only one I've advocated for is Noah Brown. Because I love big bodied WR. Shultz can't block to good and I want us to be a run heavy team. Armstrong is not bad, but he's not great either. I have no real deeply rooted problems with him. He's a solid player. And Cooper is a nice backup, but that's all he is. He is not the QB of the future, IMO. And he's not good enough to offer Dak competition for the starting job.

But these are my opinions and opinions vary. I'd don't expect anyone to agree with my opinions for they are mine to have and hold.

Creeper

Reaction score
Its a good thing the world doesn't turn as fast as some Cowboys fans opinions because centrifugal force would spin us all into space!

It was one game. Can we at least see them play a quarter of a season before we judge them? Guys who played well this week, we awful last week. I suspect some guys who played well this week might disappear next week.

CWR

Reaction score
Dorrance is is what 40% of the way to Gregory's numbers on less snaps than gregory played last year????

Hes development into a nice DE. He's not flashy, but he's the type to get you 6-10 sacks a season and play solid run defense.

He had what 6 last year, in a limited role?

It's crazy just because a guy doesn't flash an elite measurable we write them off.

CWR

Reaction score
Its a good thing the world doesn't turn as fast as some Cowboys fans opinions because centrifugal force would spin us all into space!

It was one game. Can we at least see them play a quarter of a season before we judge them? Guys who played well this week, we awful last week. I suspect some guys who played well this week might disappear next week.

Also a good point. Most everyone in the league is capable. The really good players put it together consistently.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score

it is true that elite qbs don’t grow on trees but with the status quo we would need the 85 Bears, Legion of Boom or the Ray Lewis Ravens defense reincarnate to win a Super Bowl with either of these quarterbacks.

it’s a helluva lot easier to replace 1 Elite quarterback than it is to build an entire elite defense. Both of our present quarterbacks can win a division like the NFC East, but outside of it….not so much.

The problem is that Jerry and Stephen think they have an elite QB in Dakota; they don't know how to evaluate their own talent.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Both of our present quarterbacks can win a division like the NFC East, but outside of it….not so much.

It isn't your opinion alone. I caught the middle of a conversation about Dak vs. Rush on 105.3 yesterday and the hosts were kind of trashing Dak a bit. They said Dak has the ability to beat up on sorry teams but disappears against better competition or playoff scenarios. Rush only has 2 starts and 2 wins on his resume, but both games were against tougher competition that Dak normally struggles against. They said Rush seems to have much better accuracy, better reads, and releases the ball quicker.

All we ever see Rush play with is the scrubs in pre season games. The 2 times he has been able to play with the starters he has done a decent job. He's going to get a lot more playing time in the next 5 weeks, so we'll be able to get a better look at him. Will he be able compete better against the tougher teams that Dak crumbles against? That remains to be seen.

This wouldn't be a popular opinion with the Dak fans but I feel the competition at the QB position could end up benefitting the team. It might force Dak to start working harder knowing his job could be on the line.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

Have you really looked at how many highly drafted QBs don’t make it? Especially, to the Uber elite category it seems many here demand.

We’d all love Mahomes and Rogers and so would all that passed on them. Evaluating and selecting the best of the best is difficult. Even gettin one that is average is extremely hard. If you get a good one you’ve done well imo. Now build a team and a D.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

There was nothing elite about the Giants or Eagles when they won the SB. Or the Rams last season. The league is wide open.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Have you really looked at how many highly drafted QBs don’t make it? Especially, to the Uber elite category it seems many here demand.

We’d all love Mahomes and Rogers and so would all that passed on them. Evaluating and selecting the best of the best is difficult. Even gettin one that is average is extremely hard. If you get a good one you’ve done well imo. Now build a team and a D.
And look where Mahomes and Aaron were drafted…..after guys like Alex Smith and Mitch Tribusky. There’s a chance that quarterback you draft is as good or worse than what you have. Can you imagine if we did what people on this site wanted and drafted a quarterback instead of Micah?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

This. Come on you guys, let's wait for at least 6 games to be played until we start celebrating certain players. Last season was a good example why sometimes even that won't tell you anything about their development. Many things have to fall in place to perform on a constant basis.

The problem of this team has never been a lack of highlight reel material.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Every preseason there were numerous threads about how the Cowboys should get rid of these guys, how they were taking up a roster spot unnecessarily. They were fringe players, posters claimed, who were never going to amount to anything.

And, by the way, I'm not excluding myself. This isn't a "I told you so". This is just a small tribute to the blue collar players that typically don't get the accolades. Quite the opposite.

Why are they still on the team? The Cowboys should cut them to make room for "________".

"They are only keeping Dalton until Blake returns."

"All Noah can do is special teams."

"Dorrance Armstrong can't get in the same zip code as the opponent's quarterback."

"Get a real backup QB. Cooper Rush is just a warm body."

There are two concepts that I think many Cowboys fans don't take into consideration.

The first is familiarity. The longer a player remains on a team then the more he knows his teammates and usually the coaches. They know the system. They know their plays and their role on the team. They go to practice every day with their teammates. They form bonds.

The second is constant improvement when it comes to the quality of their play, their physical conditioning, and football education. They get better through constant practice. They get stronger through conditioning programs monitored by their coaches. They learn and acquire new skills and techniques.

I would say that the difference between the "fringe" players that make it and the ones that don't are their dedication to constant improvement. Coaches often consider their attitude and willingness to do whatever their teams need them for whether it is special teams or their preparation in the event they are needed on the field.

With the start of training camps these guys were considered "bubble" players almost every preseason. However, they were also in the top 300 college players at some point, the cream of the crop. In high school they were perennial All-State or All-City, the best in their school, perhaps even in their school's history. These are proud athletes.

We enjoy getting our 1st round draft picks and watching them make large contributions to their teams. It's easy to have those expectations, that's why they were drafted in the 1st round.

However, what is a major attribute on teams that consistently win? It is their ability to find players in the lower rounds or rookie free agency that make positive contributions. The Cowboys seem to be succeeding in that category despite fan perceptions that tend to judge players as final products out of college.

Wow! An “I told you so” thread. How original.

shabazz

Reaction score

agree but for the love of God, can we at least TRY drafting a quarterback in the 1st two rounds????

can we at least agree that the QB position may rate high enough to give it a shot?