Not much love for Witten

glimmerman

Reaction score
I get it and understand that Witten is long in the tooth and is not quite as effective as he was in his prime. But all this talk about getting him out. Cutting him or him retiring is crazy talk. He is still the best we have. And you can say that’s sad but there are teams that would love to have him today.

He needs to take a smaller role starting this year and let other TE develope. Should have started last year IMO but you can blame that on the staff. They are the ones keeping Witten out there and not utilizing others. Maybe because he is still the best we have.

Witten is solid, was never known for his speed. But blocks and catches everything. Always open. Whether it’s a 2 yard route or 7. Never known for his YAC. Never been a down field threat.

What we are seeing is a a TE that’s played with Romo and his best friend his whole career. These 2 roomed together and worked on secret plays together in there off time. He was a security blanket.

Now we have a new QB that’s trying to learn how to use everything at his disposal. He is new and leans on the run game. Even still he is finding Witten as a security blanket. Romo should have been hired and payed well as QB coach. No matter the cost.

But anyways I am not trying to argue with anyone who wants Witten gone. I am saying if he suddenly wasn’t there then we would be in bigger trouble than you think at that position. We have Rico who could be a talent but is developing and who else Hanna? He is pretty good but there is a reason he isn’t starting over Witten and it ain’t cause he is JJ favorite.

If it’s the SB and the game is on the line with 2 seconds left and 4th and 3 at the 3 yard line. Dez covered so no jump ball. Who would you throw to and trust to make that catch?
Cause you know our staff would throw it 4 times in a row instead of handing it to Elliot. We have seen that before. Lol. Sorry had to throw that last part in there.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I agree Witten still has a place. But his snaps need to go down about 50% and his pay needs to go down about 70%. Resign him to a deal that pays him $2m a year with a bonus for getting to the Super Bowl. He is just chasing a ring at this point. Saying that he is still our best TE indicates we need to get better at the spot.

Zordon

Reaction score
I think a new approach from the offensive staff could lead to to a resurrection for Witten this year. Probably less targets but more impactful plays, more TDs. The over-reliance on him is what frustrates me. Also his 1000% cosign of the ginger idiot. It's time to shake things up.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree Witten still has a place. But his snaps need to go down about 50% and his pay needs to go down about 70%. Resign him to a deal that pays him $2m a year with a bonus for getting to the Super Bowl. He is just chasing a ring at this point. Saying that he is still our best TE indicates we need to get better at the spot.
Ranked 17th among the TE in the NFL. I think he is worth that. But agree we need to start working someone in his spot. Should have started last year.

RS12

Reaction score
Witten is Cowboy royalty but look at his YAC. It is a reason the offense can be easy to contain. We all get old.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think a new approach from the offensive staff could lead to to a resurrection for Witten this year. Probably less targets but more impactful plays, more TDs. The over-reliance on him is what frustrates me. Also his 1000% cosign of the ginger idiot. It's time to shake things up.
Don’t expect JG to do anything and I think Linehan is his puppet. Lol.

robjay04

Reaction score
He is only the best as have because he refuses to share the field. We never really know what we have.

I have read numerous times that Witten refuses to leave the field. He plays as many snaps as our offensive line.

I appreciate Witten but take less money and accept a role similar to Antonio Gates or get out.

robjay04

Reaction score
Witten is Cowboy royalty but look at his YAC. It is a reason the offense can be easy to contain. We all get old.

Yep

Watching a team featuring a young TE with quickness is a real eye opener.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He has never had YAC. He is solid for maybe 2 yards after the catch. Almost always tackled where he catches the ball.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Witten is the greatest Cowboy TE of all time. That being said his time has passed. It happens to all the greats.
Agree and if he isn't a first ballot Hall of Famer it is a joke. The durability, excellence over a long period of time and being an ambassador of the game should make him a shoe in.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He is only the best as have because he refuses to share the field. We never really know what we have.

I have read numerous times that Witten refuses to leave the field. He plays as many snaps as our offensive line.

I appreciate Witten but take less money and accept a role similar to Antonio Gates or get out.
Then we need to place that blame on the staff for having no control. And they should have been developing one last year. Rico is a project.

glimmerman

Reaction score
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. My god cowboys fans can't let anyone go even when they know there are better options.
Where? Is the option on our team now? I am not saying he shouldn’t retire. But when you have a staff that won’t change it, we have no options.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I feel dirty and cheap for saying this but Mike Gisicki TE Penn State in the 2nd round.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Where? Is the option on our team now? I am not saying he shouldn’t retire. But when you have a staff that won’t change it, we have no options.
Well there are options, just coaching staff needs to use them. There is Rico, Jake, Hanna. I really like Jake and Rico. Problem is that it doesn't matter who it is being that this team is too loyal to vets for their own good. According to the front office in past, Witten has "earned" his place and until he quits they will put up with lower production than what could be.