Not running Zeke in final possession

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I don’t have a problem with that last series. Zeke got the ball well sweep that purse play. People griping about running him wide need to understand that the Eagles were looking for him between the tackles… And Cox in Ngata or too big tackles. Zeke read very well between the tackles all night, but in my mind, it doesn’t make sense to run right at them when they’re looking for it.

The screen pass was a very safe call. All Dak had to do was get the ball out of his hand quickly. It didn’t work, but there was no defender within 5 yards of the bowl when Beasley caught it.

The third day on call was a “give up“ called, to be sure. Even outside of the two minute drill, there’s not too many places and your offensive playbook for a third in 16 situation.

In the end, I still believe the Cowboys primary objective there was to get a first down, with the secondary objective up forcing the Eagles to use all three of their timeouts. Running the ball three times between the tackles wouldn’t have made much of a difference.

I agree there was nothing wrong with the calls, Dallas did try the screen with Beasley in hopes of popping it for a 1st given how Philly was bringing every one up on the run and putting themselves in a man on man outside. In the end Dallas still forced Philly to burn all time outs. I get it some fans have a call they would make and anything outside of their call is a bad call.

Pants

Reaction score
I am ok (although, not happy) with the calls, you have to expect the defense to win the game...Zeke was looking a little winded, so perhaps their cutesy nonsense was for that reason - the screen pass is normally a very safe play but MY GOD, at that juncture, too many things go wrong...pick-6, backwards pass that gets dropped for a fumble, in complete stops the clock, etc.....if that was incomplete and philly doesn't have to use that TO, do you think they would have been happy to have that in their back pocket inside the 10 with one play to go???

unnecessary nonsense...I think mrs pants actually asked me after the game "is your hair grayer now?"
"yes, m'lady, and I need to go change my shorts"

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I understand that. But zeke was bullying the eagles. And not running him was unacceptable.
This. Zeke was eating all day against stacked boxes. Force Philly to stop him and, if they do, tip your hat to them.

It's like the coaching staff has no situational awareness. Take the New England game in 2011 for example. We have the ball late in the 4th and run 3 straight times before punting. The team couldn't run the ball effectively all day but rely on it to burn NE timeouts. There was too much time left on the clock for NE to even care about having timeouts for their offense. We needed to get a first down instead of playing it safe in that game, against that offense, with our defense.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
how do you not run zeke on that final possession!? Throw a screen to Beasley !?

Love the win ! But seriously it’s time to fire Linehan.

Linehan likes to take COMA naps every once in a while during games.

Flamma

Reaction score
how do you not run zeke on that final possession!? Throw a screen to Beasley !?

Love the win ! But seriously it’s time to fire Linehan.

That was the perfect time to run Zeke straight up the middle 3 times. Who knows? They may get a first down. We've seen it happen on many occasions in that situation. The clock was on our side and they would have had to blow all 3 timeouts. A quick screen in that situation is one of the worst things you could do. They are expecting run and playing up close. They risk getting it picked off. Three run plays and let all players know that holding is not an option in that situation. We already lost one game because of that several seasons ago.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Three run plays and let all players know that holding is not an option in that situation. We already lost one game because of that several seasons ago.
That was Tyron holding against the Lions in 2013 when Detroit was out of timeouts.

conner01

Reaction score
Killer instinct is needed. Too many times in that position with bad results.
Pretend that's Aaron Rodgers on the other side. What would we do then?

We couldn't even gain a yard lol
We lost yards
They stacked the box so we threw on the edge
I get the idea of a safe pass to keep clock running
Personally I would have went play action on first down and went for the quick first down
That 10 more yards of field position could have been important and it makes them defend the pass which might open up a running lane

silvrNblue

Reaction score
JG and Linehan need to get these words printed in large letters and posted all over the locker room and their offices:

IT'S OK TO CALL THE EXPECTED PLAY IN THE RIGHT SITUATION.
NO, NO NO, I have it on GOOD authority, we are ALL wrong in these assumptions, Clapper and vanilla queens BIG finale was to force philly to burn all their time outs... and we all damn well know running the ball 3 straight times wouldn't have that effect... Of course I am joshing, WE all know it was a 3 straight run series, but a few on here seem to think other wise...

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree there was nothing wrong with the calls, Dallas did try the screen with Beasley in hopes of popping it for a 1st given how Philly was bringing every one up on the run and putting themselves in a man on man outside. In the end Dallas still forced Philly to burn all time outs. I get it some fans have a call they would make and anything outside of their call is a bad call.
Quit using hindsight!!!!!!!!!!!

If that pass is incomplete, the Eagles get the ball at the 5 w/ 10 seconds left.

Your last sentence is completely off as to what I'm seeing in this thread.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Quit using hindsight!!!!!!!!!!!

If that pass is incomplete, the Eagles get the ball at the 5 w/ 10 seconds left.

Your last sentence is completely off as to what I'm seeing in this thread.

Screen to Beasley is a high percentage throw and given the fact Philly was crowding the line I don't think it is a bad call at all, you whine about playing it to safe not playing to win? then pull this BS? Had Dallas ran 3 straight times with Zeke and fail to get the 1st you guys complain about that claiming they went into a shell. Fact is people here love to complain even after a win.

Lastly hindsight? you are the one using the "If" he had dropped it, he did not drop it so take your own advice

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Linehan did exactly what I wanted to do, used the whole field and kept them guessing.(for the most part)

As long as he builds on that strategy I'll be fine with him and we'll live long and prosper. However, at some point he will likely revert back to his base offense, and I'll ask the Manster to go down there and break him in half.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fact is Elliott got the carry on that 1st down and lost yards. Philly brought everyone up to the line of scrimmage with one thing in mind, key on Elliott. The quick pass to Beasley was an attempt to get the ball out quickly to try give him the opportunity to pickup the yardage with his quickness, Douglas played it well to drop him for the loss then Dak taking it on QB keeper. In the end Dallas did get Philly to burn up timeouts leaving them with little time.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not gonna lie I flew out of my chair with that stupid bease screen play
why? I think actually that was a good safe call. one that worked through out the game...there was too much time left on the clock with philly having 3 TOs....you knew, everyone knew that Philly is going to stack the line to stop the run, because dallas wanted to run out the clock and they had three time outs....so you have no chance of running against them, when all they do is going to focus on stopping the run.....the screen play, to the outside, would/could provide a 1:1 opportunity...it would be a safe play, either it won't work like the run wouldn't (and didn't) or we gain a few yards and the defense has to now worry about another screen.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you just wanted to get them to use timeouts, you don't throw a pass.
everyone calls out garrett for not gambling on 4th downs and not taking enough gambles...now, he is getting called because of it....it wasn't a contested pass down field....its like a long hand off, safe pass.....I think it was a good call actually...instead of predictably running to the middle of the line and philly calling a TO....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
why? I think actually that was a good safe call. one that worked through out the game...there was too much time left on the clock with philly having 3 TOs....you knew, everyone knew that Philly is going to stack the line to stop the run, because dallas wanted to run out the clock and they had three time outs....so you have no chance of running against them, when all they do is going to focus on stopping the run.....the screen play, to the outside, would/could provide a 1:1 opportunity...it would be a safe play, either it won't work like the run wouldn't (and didn't) or we gain a few yards and the defense has to now worry about another screen.

I agree it was a very high percentage throw, really nothing more that a pitchout to Cole

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That was well said, we won "in spite of our coaching on offense". Our last possession was an exercise in supreme stupidity.
I think it was the correct approach...I didn't think it was stupid...I think a lot of the fans are stupid to just try and jump on everything all the time and scrutinize it to death over nothing.....the coaching won the game....but yeah, lets focus on the last possession and one play in that possession because this arm chair coach, wanted to run the ball up the middle for no gain instead of a screen pass.