Not running Zeke in final possession

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ah, but it didn't.

Unfortunately, how you win matters a ton. You don't care, and I understand that. However, the coaching staff has to care, because how you win matters a ton once/if you get to the playoffs. Many many teams have failed in the playoffs because what they did to win in the regular season did not work against the better talent you face in the playoffs.
don't worry, we won't make it to the playoffs....:huh:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it was the correct approach...I didn't think it was stupid...I think a lot of the fans are stupid to just try and jump on everything all the time and scrutinize it to death over nothing.....the coaching won the game....but yeah, lets focus on the last possession and one play in that possession because this arm chair coach, wanted to run the ball up the middle for no gain instead of a screen pass.

Right now the coaches are damned if they do and damned if they don't. In past games like this had we ran Zeke 3 times the same people claim it is being too conservative and playing not to lose.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They shouldnt even been in the Position to get the Ball again and almost beat us on 4th Down. The last 2 minutes have been typical Cowboys ***** Playcalling which almost cost them again.
what would you have done, with that much time left and philly having three time outs?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Just think if Dak throws that in the dirt...Eagles still have a time out..how big would that have been? Why even take the chance?
if Dak would have thrown that ball to dirt that would be on Dak. a simple throw like that!!!! yeah, if he did that, then Dak really sucks.......

the only mistake I think was to put Beasley out there....I would have thrown to cooper a bigger WR, with a chance to break the tackle. but I know they were thinking quickness with Beasley....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Right now the coaches are damned if they do and damned if they don't. In past games like this had we ran Zeke 3 times the same people claim it is being too conservative and playing not to lose.
exactly...they just want to complain about anything.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes we would have. Garrett doesn't know there's a possibility of the ball being dropped.

He was playing to win, you know the crap you guys accuse him of not doing. The throw is one of the highest percentage throws in the game to a sure handed WR. Did not work but nothing poor about the call. Now if you want to play the what if game that is fine, what if he gets past the defender? that becomes an easy 1st down game over.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
how do you not run zeke on that final possession!? Throw a screen to Beasley !?

Love the win ! But seriously it’s time to fire Linehan.

They should have thrown (and not a screen, but playaction - I've always thought this was the perfect time for a flea flicker) on first down. The conservative approach in that situation gets teams beat far too often.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He was playing to win, you know the crap you guys accuse him of not doing. The throw is one of the highest percentage throws in the game to a sure handed WR. Did not work but nothing poor about the call. Now if you want to play the what if game that is fine, what if he gets past the defender? that becomes an easy 1st down game over.
High percentage? In this offense? You need to show me those stats.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
High percentage? In this offense? You need to show me those stats.

Yes in this offense that quick pass to Beasley is a high percentage pass. You can go find the stat yourself but that is not a hard throw and given all the people Philly brought to the line it was not a bad call. other teams run it as well in those situations. I get it people need to complain about Garrett and I will not defend the season his team has had thus far, that falls on him but I will not B!tch just for the sake of it. Others can that is their choice

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes in this offense that quick pass to Beasley is a high percentage pass. You can go find the stat yourself but that is not a hard throw and given all the people Philly brought to the line it was not a bad call. other teams run it as well in those situations. I get it people need to complain about Garrett and I will not defend the season his team has had thus far, that falls on him but I will not B!tch just for the sake of it. Others can that is their choice
I don't remember many successful screens since Dak became the QB. Either he throws it three yards short, trying to add "touch" or there's a defender already tackling the receiver when the ball arrives.

BTW, I'm not one to just complain about JG for the sake of it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't remember many successful screens since Dak became the QB. Either he throws it three yards short, trying to add "touch" or there's a defender already tackling the receiver when the ball arrives.

The you must not be watching the games. Dallas has ran successful screens with Zeke, with Gallup which lead to a big play in this past game and quick throws to Beasley. Given the situation where Philly has brought up everyone to the line with the intent of keying Zeke I don't think it is a bad call at all. Funny part is had Dallas ran it 2 more times with Zeke the same people would complain about that as well. I know this because these situations have happened before and you guys call it playing not to lose. Dallas ran this play to Cole hoping to pick up the 1st given the attention being placed on Zeke, Douglas for Philly played it great, if he misses the tackle there is nothing in front of Cole

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The you must not be watching the games. Dallas has ran successful screens with Zeke, with Gallup which lead to a big play in this past game and quick throws to Beasley. Given the situation where Philly has brought up everyone to the line with the intent of keying Zeke I don't think it is a bad call at all. Funny part is had Dallas ran it 2 more times with Zeke the same people would complain about that as well. I know this because these situations have happened before and you guys call it playing not to lose. Dallas ran this play to Cole hoping to pick up the 1st given the attention being placed on Zeke, Douglas for Philly played it great, if he misses the tackle there is nothing in front of Cole
Don't lump me in with everyone who complains constantly.
I don't mind the idea of a quick pass, but a screen near our own end zone is too risky in that situation.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I don't mind the idea of a quick pass, but a screen near our own end zone is too risky in that situation.
I hate the idea of even a quick pass. Zeke was averaging 7.8 yards per carry against a defense stacking the box all game long trying to stop him. Give him the ball 3 straight times and if they can stop him then they deserve the ball back.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

They were at the 29 yard line, don't consider that by our own goal line. Again very high percentage in terms of completion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hate the idea of even a quick pass. Zeke was averaging 7.8 yards per carry against a defense stacking the box all game long trying to stop him. Give him the ball 3 straight times and if they can stop him then they deserve the ball back.

And it was a totally different situation in which Philly had not been brining that many up front, Zeke got the 1st play in that drive and was nailed for a loss, Philly was not going to let Zeke go anywhere. They were in a zero coverage knowing Dallas was not going to be throwing the ball down field.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
And it was a totally different situation in which Philly had not been brining that many up front, Zeke got the 1st play in that drive and was nailed for a loss, Philly was not going to let Zeke go anywhere. They were in a zero coverage knowing Dallas was not going to be throwing the ball down field.
And they weren't letting Beasley go anywhere either. Hand the ball off to your running back who has been carving up the defense and make them stop him. Trying to be cute with a quick screen pass behind the line of scrimmage was not smart.