Not sure why we didnt move up in the 3rd to get a RB

BigD_95

Reaction score
Makes no sense we didn't move up in 3rd round to get Duke Johnson or Coleman. We could have had one of the best drafts ever. Instead we take a Swing Tackle. A Back up when we have no real RB on this team.

This talk about how good our O-line is will fade this season. We will become a passing team again. Also all those 3rd or 4th and short will become pass plays. Our biggest strength was pounding the running game. It took us to the playoffs. Now we just assume we don't need a top RB.

Come draft next year our biggest need will be RB.

1st 2 picks were an A
rest of draft D. We didn't need to draft all the LBers . Would have been better off moving those picks to get Duke or Coleman in the 3rd round.

Oh well we get to watch McFadden avg 3.3 yds a carry and wonder if he will play because he is always hurt.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Makes no sense we didn't move up in 3rd round to get Duke Johnson or Coleman. We could have had one of the best drafts ever. Instead we take a Swing Tackle. A Back up when we have no real RB on this team.

This talk about how good our O-line is will fade this season. We will become a passing team again. Also all those 3rd or 4th and short will become pass plays. Our biggest strength was pounding the running game. It took us to the playoffs. Now we just assume we don't need a top RB.

1st 2 picks were an A
rest of draft D. We didn't need to draft all the LBers . Would have been better off moving those picks to get Duke or Coleman in the 3rd round.

Oh well we get to watch McFadden avg 3.3 yds a carry and wonder if he will play because he is always hurt.

So are you under the impression that Murray gains 1,800 yards with the Raiders?

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
McFadden with a rookie QB averaged 3.4 yards a carry on the year, but by the end of the year, was averaging over 4 yards per carry.

for his career, McFadden has averaged 4.1 yards per carry.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

1st 2 picks were an A

This has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads.

The Cowboys like the RBs on the the team much more than the fans do. They know Randle, Ryan Williams and Dunbar really well. McFadden is a perfect fit in the Cowboys Zone scheme and still has terrific physical ability based on 2014 game footage. Think about how Murray looked in 2012 when the OL struggled. McFadden had that type of OL most of his career and at least the Cowboys had a passing game to back the defenders off of the line which Oakland never had.

lostar2009

Reaction score
They said once the mid rounds came along they did not think any of the backs available was better than what's on the roster. I agree that after Gordon and Gurley there was a drop off. But since Randle cases was completely clear they might want to stick with who they got and see if any of those guys can do something.

DBOY3141

Reaction score

1st 2 picks were an A

would of had to give up our 4th, 5th and a pick next year to move up to 73 to take Coleman and 4th, 5th to move up to 77 to take Duke.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What I don't get is why people think Coleman, Johnson x 2, or Ajai are "real" RBs.
Are they "real" RBs because they ran well in college? So did every RB on our roster. Could any of those guys have done better than Randall did in his limited carries? Don't confuse our use of RBs last year with how we value them; the bottom line was we were riding Murray....then we were riding him for his team record and slim chance at 2,000; then we were riding him into the playoffs; then we were riding him into the ground because we weren't bringing him back unless no one wanted him.

You can't watch college RBs tear it up in their divisions against those defenses and compare them to our backup RBs in the NFL.

Parnell was much more than a swing tackle; he played a lot of TE in short yardage and goal line....we needed another guy who can do that and who can start in case of injury without ruining our season. That's important! You can go from being the best OL in the game and center all your moves and philosophy around that, but without a solid backup plan, you are one high ankle sprain from struggling to run the ball and getting your QB hammered or having to max protect all the time.

Yes, it was a deep RB class, but is anyone other than Gordon likely to start on opening day? I'm curious to see what McFadden can do, but I have a lot of confidence that Randall can get the job done. I don't see him being as physical as Murray (neither of the guys you wanted to move up for are either), but I do see him breaking some long runs regularly.

Murray had an NFL league leading season last year due to the OL, the team commitment to running, and his talents. And while he had a decent run average the year before, did anyone in our fandom view him as even a top 5 RB in the league? There were plenty of questions about his durability, his vision, his loss of speed. I'm not saying anyone on our roster will lead the league in rushing, but I'm willing to bet Murray won't be close to that in Philly either.

BigD_95

Reaction score
They said once the mid rounds came along they did not think any of the backs available was better than what's on the roster. I agree that after Gordon and Gurley there was a drop off. But since Randle cases was completely clear they might want to stick with who they got and see if any of those guys can do something.

they also would have pick Duke had he still been on the board. So

tyke1doe

Reaction score
As Mick Jagger sings, "You can always get what you want (a running back) (3x), but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need (an elite pass rusher)." :)

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Before last year, most of us viewed Murray at best as the 3rd best RB in our own division behind McCoy and Morris.
Maybe these RBs can get it done; maybe they can't, but I would not argue that Coleman or Johnson or Ajai were anything near guarantees to get it done either.

robjay04

Reaction score
After the draft, I think it is evident that the team wants Randle or Williams to earn this job. McFadden is really just an insurance policy if neither of them work out.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We didn't move up to get anybody at any position at a spot where RB might still have been a target.

Last edited: