Not talking me into this being a good pick, sorry

blindzebra

Reaction score
Mocking me @zrinkill ?

No surprise, I suppose that its easier to take that route than to actually do a little internet research.

• Draftek = #30
  • CBS Sports = #27
  • Mayock = #20
  • NFL Draft Geek = #50
  • USA Today = #30
  • Pro Football Focus > #25 (... only lists the top 25, then goes to positional rankings)
  • Hero Sports = #18
  • NFL Draft Countdown = #23
  • SI = #23
  • Fantasy Pros = #27
  • DraftBlaster > #25 (... only lists top 25, then goes to positional rankings)
  • Sporting News = #31
  • NFL Draft Scout = #19
  • Football Dungeon = #33
  • NFL Draft Days = #20
  • Kiper > #25 (... I don't have Insider, maybe others do, but there's an ABC News story that lists his top 25)
  • Draft Analyst = #12

Is that enough?

17 googled, and how many of those have him at #19 or better? How many have him something below #25?

Talk to me.
When were they updated? The bogus spinal injury story came out a few days ago and many people dropped him several spots because of what turned out to be a complete non-issue.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Mocking me @zrinkill ?

No surprise, I suppose that its easier to take that route than to actually do a little internet research.

• Draftek = #30
  • CBS Sports = #27
  • Mayock = #20
  • NFL Draft Geek = #50
  • USA Today = #30
  • Pro Football Focus > #25 (... only lists the top 25, then goes to positional rankings)
  • Hero Sports = #18
  • SI = #23
  • Fantasy Pros = #27
  • Sporting News = #31
  • NFL Draft Scout = #19
  • Football Dungeon = #33
  • NFL Draft Days = #20
  • Kiper > #25 (... I don't have Insider, maybe others do, but there's an ABC News story that lists his top 25)
  • Draft Analyst = #12

Is that enough?

17 googled, and how many of those have him at #19 or better? How many have him something below #25?

Talk to me.
OK so averaging out those grades is 24.17. Your in a snit because instead of taking him at 24 we drafted him where were at 19.
Really? What one of those teams between took him or what if the Cowboys tries to move down but couldn't.
I'll place my faith in McClay over 17 paper boys any day. Realyl five slots and your vamping.?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Mocking me @zrinkill ?

• Draftek = #30
  • CBS Sports = #27
  • Mayock = #20
  • NFL Draft Geek = #50
  • USA Today = #30
  • Hero Sports = #18
  • SI = #23
  • Fantasy Pros = #27
  • Sporting News = #31
  • NFL Draft Scout = #19
  • Football Dungeon = #33
  • NFL Draft Days = #20
  • Draft Analyst = #12

Is that enough?

Talk to me.

Whoa there! Save some *** for the rest of us

_sturt_

Reaction score
OK so averaging out those grades is 24.17. Your in a snit because instead of taking him at 24 we drafted him where were at 19.
Really? What one of those teams between took him or what if the Cowboys tries to move down but couldn't.
I'll place my faith in McClay over 17 paper boys any day. Realyl five slots and your vamping.?

I do try to be fair, and I'll agree, it could be a helluvalot worse.

But yeah... I'm not happy about it (obviously). Averaging is one thing... but again, count how many actually had the player valued as the #19 or better... or to my point, there were more who saw him as less than #25 than those who valued him in their top 25.

So yeah, absolutely, there was better value, and I suppose I'm just not one of those so bought-into the mantra that we had to have a LB first and foremost.

We can make up for it, from where I sit, on Day 2. We'll see.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Again I'll trust McCall's grade but something I read said that this pick set up the rest of their picks because
it relieved them of the LB problem [just a thought]. Day two is very big your right.
I've read your past post and you are a thoughtful poster.

vig454

Reaction score
Let's face it folks. Most of us here are not professional scouts , heck there might not even be one in the whole group. :D We are simply voicing by text our opinions on how our Cowboys should have drafted. I find it amusing how some that are happy with the Boys pick reply to the rest that don't agree with the pick. It's like , "how dare you even question me or the front office" ! Me the forum God! and I will strike you! :D Just an observation

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
Not going to try, we just gift wrapped the division to the Giants, once they get a motivated Dez after the draft it's a wrap.it's between them& Philly for the division. We had certain players we like somewhat fall into striking range& we didn't strike.smh.. Now get this they're going to be posters who pumps up the pick& claim he's Brian Urlacher 2 but anybody who knows football knows he is " Bobby Carpenter 2" mark my words 7-9 last place in the division

Bro are you serious about the Giants? They obviously suffered huge injuries to their offense but Eli is average at best and getting worse every season. Barkley might be a great RB but who is he going to run behind, the great E. Flowers? If one of these QB's the Giants passed on turns out to be great while they are scrambling in a year to find a scrub to take Eli's spot consider me a happy dude.

kumizi

Reaction score
I still can’t believe they didn’t trade up for James or Edmunds. SMH

clap clap clap

dallas72

Reaction score
Bro are you serious about the Giants? They obviously suffered huge injuries to their offense but Eli is average at best and getting worse every season. Barkley might be a great RB but who is he going to run behind, the great E. Flowers? If one of these QB's the Giants passed on turns out to be great while they are scrambling in a year to find a scrub to take Eli's spot consider me a happy dude.
Why is everyone thinking Barkley is so great? Hes just a combine monster...ok Zeke had 2 1800 yard seasons.... Barkley 1 1200. 1 1100...Barkley averaged 3.1ypc vs top 25 teams ..hes Reggie Bush at best....doesnt run up the middle..EVERYTHING is a bounce outside....only had 3 100 yard games lol...

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Mocking me @zrinkill ?

• Draftek = #30
  • CBS Sports = #27
  • Mayock = #20
  • NFL Draft Geek = #50
  • USA Today = #30
  • Hero Sports = #18
  • SI = #23
  • Fantasy Pros = #27
  • Sporting News = #31
  • NFL Draft Scout = #19
  • Football Dungeon = #33
  • NFL Draft Days = #20
  • Draft Analyst = #12

Is that enough?

Talk to me.

You do not understand the difference between mock drafts and player evaluation

He was a top first round talent by almost everyone ........ idiot mockers thought Dallas would go WR

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
Yes I'm serious& why don't u think the giants can win? Because they had a down season mainly due to injuries. See man this Homer attitude Cowboys fans get puzzles me because unlike Philly & Ny we don't win jack $#:+. We have lofty record breaking seasons (14,16) but cannot win a playoff game so why 2nd guess NY because they went 3-13& got the best RB if not player in the draft& get this Motown they've recently done this so yeah I don't know what u believe is possible but I know the NFC East & with what the other teams have added versus what we have added, Bobby Carpenter 2 is not going to be effective because of his obvious limitations. I'll say it again. If they get Dez which I'm thinking they are, their going to be a problem. A tough out& we sure won't sweep them as we did last year so I'll advise u to stop thinking Dallas does everything right & their the only good team in this division because that's not reality. Check in with me during the season & we can revisit this topic

roughneck266

Reaction score
Define "respected."

He has been mocked to the Cowboys by several, but that's characteristically a reflection of what the mocker believed the Cowboys would do, not what they necessarily thought of the player... and sure, there's been consistent buzz around this guy for weeks.

For the most part, I've seen him rated in the 25-35 range.

Having said that, to be fair, I'm intrigued that both James Daniels and Will Hernandez are still on the board... if we somehow land one of those guys tomorrow, I'll feel relieved.
Mayock had him at #20. Not that he is the be all end all, but he is a respected authority on the subject.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Mocking me @zrinkill ?

• Draftek = #30
  • CBS Sports = #27
  • Mayock = #20
  • NFL Draft Geek = #50
  • USA Today = #30
  • Hero Sports = #18
  • SI = #23
  • Fantasy Pros = #27
  • Sporting News = #31
  • NFL Draft Scout = #19
  • Football Dungeon = #33
  • NFL Draft Days = #20
  • Draft Analyst = #12

Is that enough?

Talk to me.

When your determination of a player's value is based on comparing internet mock drafts you have no business talking prospects or the Draft.

It's absolutely comical when people post scouting reports, reference mock drafts as some sort of indisputable evidence.

If you like football, you watch college football. If you're knowledgeable you know what to look for to draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Mike Mayock says:

19. Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Dallas Cowboys

Understand this dude is 20 pounds heavier than the rest of the upscale linebacker class, In the pass game, I think he's special. He's got eyes everywhere. Just an outstanding football player.