Not talking me into this being a good pick, sorry

waving monkey

Reaction score
Lemme try:

First lets agree. At 19 LVE is a reach strictly in terms of BPA unweighted toward need. Leighton Vander-Esch is older than Evans, has less experience than Evans, amd played against weaker competition. However, strictly in terms pf over all draft value, and strategy to get as many big contributors as possible days 1 and 2. And with the gap between rd 3 WRs and rd1 in this draft instantly the value is heavily weighted towards LB. So lets talk strictly player. At 19 Leighton was the most versatile LB on the board by far. You can line him up at any spot in any scheme and he has the athletic ability to not only contribute, but flourish. He is really very good at sifting through garbage on the line and stopping the run. He also has great diagnosis skills in short zone coverage. He will be a starter day 1, and will be an immediate impact because Vander Esch is big. LVE is athletic. LVE is a hard worker. These three things are what got him drafted here. His presence in the run game made DT of lesser value to the team (not that they needed much help there) which opened us up to being able to take Williams, and Gallup, and even Shultz instead of a DT. Take all this and now remind yourself that he is a one year starter and improved on each of those attributes week to week and you are looking at a high ceiling comperable to Kuechly. The Bobby Carpenter numbers scare me too, and Im not as big of a fan of boise as Dallas is, but this pick was actually a really good well thought out move that really maxed the value of the draft as a whole, and has really given options as to the lineup. Whereas an Evans pick gives you 3 starting LBs that are all arguably best at Will, and provides a slightly better floor for a much worse ceiling.
Leighton Vander Esch (born February 9, 1997
Rashaan Evans (born November 8, 1996)
More teams then then just the cowboys thought LVE was a long term better player.
THe first year Evans will look better after that assumtions are that LVE will be a PRO Bowler.
But I agree with most of your post