Nothing “free” in free agency

Kaiser

Reaction score
I dont understand the point behind this article. The cowboys are resistant to improve their team because they’d rather keep the money?

The point is you have to spend your cap dollars and draft picks wisely. Fans wanting to throw big money at the big names are wrong 9 times out of 10.

Whatever you think of Mickey, he gave you irrefutable examples of the Dolphins and Giants that used monopoly money and have terrible teams to show for it.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I do think we are at the point where we need to push all our chips in to the middle of the table for a Super Bowl run.

So to me that means maybe paying a bit more to get what we want. We have the flexibility to do it now. Dak's contract needs to wait. Make a splash with the money you save on him this year.
I think you've got some pretty good thoughts concerning the realities at this particular juncture in COWBOYS FOOTBALL.:thumbup:

*While "we've" already expended our first round 2019 draft pick( master stroke of a major score,IMO) & sitting out of the 1st rd. draft action kinda' has the feeling of some undue amount of restless anguish & trepidation going into this season, and at face value( what was scored with that #1 earlier) it really shouldn't,ya know?,,,er,,,but,with what's transpired within our defensive ranks since spending that #1?those low rumbling
" feelings " of unprepared dread could immediately be kicked up to that full fledged panic mode level should anymore ill tidings of bad news be delivered concerning the availability of any of our players currently on the rostero_O

Sydla

Reaction score
The point is you have to spend your cap dollars and draft picks wisely. Fans wanting to throw big money at the big names are wrong 9 times out of 10.

Whatever you think of Mickey, he gave you irrefutable examples of the Dolphins and Giants that used monopoly money and have terrible teams to show for it.

But the comparisons aren't fair comparisons.

The Dolphins and Giants didn't have young corps like we did, they had teams that they were desperate to try to squeeze something out of and used FA poorly to try to do it.

The Cowboys are in a position where they have a good base where one FA that backfires on them wouldn't kill them like it could with a team like NY.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

Whatever you think of Mickey, he gave you irrefutable examples of the Dolphins and Giants that used monopoly money and have terrible team to show for it.

I agree those aren’t the teams to copy, but that doesn’t necessarily default Dallas as being the team to copy. New England, Philly, St. Louis, Denver, NYG, Kansas City all seem to pick up big name players at crazy price tags every offseason... that make up the NFL’s top teams of this decade, including many of the last few Super Bowl participants. Yeah there are down years amongst that group, but they have massive payoff years too.

Dallas hasn’t had a scary DT in who knows how long. Hasn’t had a true star Safety since... Woodson? Why did you get knocked out of the playoffs? Because you gave up 300 freaking rushing yards, something DTs and safeties take care of. This was one of the best safety free agencies in NFL history and there were a ton of available DTs. But zero impact players were picked up.

There frugality and then there’s stubbornness. Not a lot of incomplete teams go all the way. Free agency can be used to fill the holes the draft does not. But if you refuse to do that, what are you really building for? 10-6 and more clapping?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
IMO, Spags is more tolerable than Broadus. I remember when Bryan first joined the group and went on an on about Bernadeau and some other O-line piece. Blew his load on that one. Spags is just super sarcastic of fans because his opinions of reality are a bit different than some fans. I would take his word as someone who actually comes in to work for the Cowboys over some couch potato who's reality is based on a bag of doritos and a mountain dew lunch. Sometimes he's pretty honest about the failings of the FO

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree those aren’t the teams to copy, but that doesn’t necessarily default Dallas as being the team to copy. New England, Philly, St. Louis, Denver, NYG, Kansas City all seem to pick up big name players at crazy price tags every offseason... that make up the NFL’s top teams of this decade, including many of the last few Super Bowl participants. Yeah there are down years amongst that group, but they have massive payoff years too.

Dallas hasn’t had a scary DT in who knows how long. Hasn’t had a true star Safety since... Woodson? Why did you get knocked out of the playoffs? Because you gave up 300 freaking rushing yards, something DTs and safeties take care of. This was one of the best safety free agencies in NFL history and there were a ton of available DTs. But zero impact players were picked up.

There frugality and then there’s stubbornness. Not a lot of incomplete teams go all the way. Free agency can be used to fill the holes the draft does not. But if you refuse to do that, what are you really building for? 10-6 and more clapping?

I tend to agree with the resident Eagles fan on this.

They actually didn't have to break the bank to upgrade DT or S and still have the draft to help supplement those spots.

But for some bizarre reason, they seem to think they are just fine at DT and S and only need to add depth players like the DT from the Texans.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Dallas hasn’t had a scary DT in who knows how long. Hasn’t had a true star Safety since... Woodson? Why did you get knocked out of the playoffs? Because you gave up 300 freaking rushing yards, something DTs and safeties take care of. This was one of the best safety free agencies in NFL history and there were a ton of available DTs. But zero impact players were picked up. One and done hasn't been their style

Ok Philly fan that's enough out of you :). Tell you what brother when the Gals do something like win another SB or two over the next 5 year and become something more than 1 we may copy the Philly approach. Yes, NE is a very worthy mentor.

Rayman70

Reaction score
lyjS7z0.png
^^^THIS^^^ is why nothing he has said since ^^^THAT^^^statement above, is null and void. He has zero cred. I just can't take the guy seriously.Shut the hell up Mickey...go back to Jerry's cabin on the yacht.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I use to rag on Broaddus, but as of late, he's been REALLY objective and fair. I admire the guy for changing his mind and telling it the way it is. Not so much with Mickey Mouse.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
^^^THIS^^^ is why nothing he has said since ^^^THAT^^^statement above, is null and void. He has zero cred. I just can't take the guy seriously.Shut the hell up Mickey...go back to Jerry's cabin on the yacht.

Spagnola is actually a really nice guy in person. Friendly and accommodating in my experience. Having said that, he's the biggest homer shill covering the Cowboys, and everything that comes out of his mouth - or his keyboard - is a ready-made excuse for this organization. His opinions and "insight" are worthless.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Spagnola is actually a really nice guy in person. Friendly and accommodating in my experience. Having said that, he's the biggest homer shill covering the Cowboys, and everything that comes out of his mouth - or his keyboard - is a ready-made excuse for this organization. His opinions and "insight" are worthless.
WELL SAID. Maybe he is a good dude, I don't doubt it. But an unbiased reporter he isn't. He's so deep into Jerry's BVD'S that he can tell us what he had for dinner the night before. Use your imagination lol..

Kaiser

Reaction score

You are listing the Giants in the Pro and the Con groups.

New England is a special case, they are the exception to the rule. The ones you are listing as the smart teams I would disagree with.

The Chiefs gave Sammy Watkins 30 Million guaranteed for 40 catches, which is the production TWill gave us. Watkins has a cap hit of 19 Million dollars this year, is that something we should copy?

The Rams went all in on FA with Suh, Lemarcus Joyner and Talib and still didn't win the Super Bowl - which has suddently become the only metric for fans on this site. Suh is the DT you are citing as a success story and the Rams paid him 14.5 Million for 4.5 sacks. He wasn't a factor for most of the year.

If that is the model you want, can you tell what Dallas players you would cut for 10 Million in Cap Room if we had added Suh at DT? Because that's the reality of these decisions.

Kaiser

Reaction score

My only interaction with Spagnola was at Oxnard training camp. He was polite and patient with the fans asking him questions, even the ones that were jerks. And this will shock you, but JJ Taylor was a complete buffoon.

Mr_Strol

Reaction score
If you would pay attention instead of fester in your hate you would see that they ARE improving the team.

Fester in hate? Not sure what you are talking about there. I am festering in hate because I disagree with your premise?

How has the team improved? Randal Cobb is a downgrade from Beasley. The Dline got considerably worse with Irving departure. Please sir, explain how the Dallas Cowboys are better now.

Sydla

Reaction score
Fester in hate? Not sure what you are talking about there. I am festering in hate because I disagree with your premise?

How has the team improved? Randal Cobb is a downgrade from Beasley. The Dline got considerably worse with Irving departure. Please sir, explain how the Dallas Cowboys are better now.

You are wasting your time with Rockport.

One nit, I think Cobb, if healthy, is as good if not better than Beasley.

The DL is worse IMO unless they can bring in Quinn. Irving shouldn't matter because he wasn't even around last year. You can't knock them for a player they didn't have last year either.

Kaiser

Reaction score

#1 - the offseason isn't over. This website was saying all offseason that the team would get killed if Sean Lee got hurt in 2018. He did but LVE played very well.

#2 - The Rams game didn't happen because we didn't have talent at DT, it was a combination of a great scheme by the Rams coaches, great execution by their OL and the fact that Maliek Collins was playing on a knee that got worse and Antwuan Woods was completely gassed playing in his 20th game of the season. Signing Suh to play DT would have helped, but that takes you back to the discussion of where you cut 14.5 Million dollars off the roster to make room for him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My only interaction with Spagnola was at Oxnard training camp. He was polite and patient with the fans asking him questions, even the ones that were jerks. And this will shock you, but JJ Taylor was a complete buffoon.

Never would have guessed that...
:laugh:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You are listing the Giants in the Pro and the Con groups.

New England is a special case, they are the exception to the rule. The ones you are listing as the smart teams I would disagree with.

The Chiefs gave Sammy Watkins 30 Million guaranteed for 40 catches, which is the production TWill gave us. Watkins has a cap hit of 19 Million dollars this year, is that something we should copy?

The Rams went all in on FA with Suh, Lemarcus Joyner and Talib and still didn't win the Super Bowl - which has suddently become the only metric for fans on this site. Suh is the DT you are citing as a success story and the Rams paid him 14.5 Million for 4.5 sacks. He wasn't a factor for most of the year.

If that is the model you want, can you tell what Dallas players you would cut for 10 Million in Cap Room if we had added Suh at DT? Because that's the reality of these decisions.

I don’t think Suh would be as good a fit there as you don’t have Aaron Donald. But to clear up space, just extend Lawrence and get it done with. You have 20 million open and that would clear at least another 10 million. To let it drag out only really hurts your abilities in FA, because that money isn’t there when you need it, but it’ll be available in July when you finally extend him and all the FAs are gone.

For the chiefs, it shows they’re trying at least. They had the cap room to bring in Watkins, so why not? Worst case scenario he doesn’t work out and they cut him. But they didn’t sell the farm to get him, and they immediately made the AFC championship game with him as a contributor.

As for the Giants point, maybe that was a Freudian slip. They have 2 rings in 15 years, but 18+ disappointing seasons to go along with them. So it’s hard to say it’s the model to follow, but it’s even harder to say they haven’t had a pretty good decade and a half.