Nothing new but Strahan did nail it on Fox Show

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
That cowboys have no heart. Which lot of us have been Whining about anyway. Yep, I know lots of people blame Wade for it, but conviniently forget, it was the same thing during Bill Parcells era.

Which also reminds me what Irvin said last year, that Giants told him, that they never seen a team scared like Cowboys. Basically Giants said in 2006, they thought Cowboys easily got intimidated. That was BP era.

I am hoping they prove everybody wrong, but I just don't see it happening, wether cowboys win today or not. Its not matter of jumping off bandwagon or not, but so far its the reality.

khiladi

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2420092 said:
That cowboys have no heart. Which lot of us have been Whining about anyway. Yep, I know lots of people blame Wade for it, but conviniently forget, it was the same thing during Bill Parcells era.

Which also reminds me what Irvin said last year, that Giants told him, that they never seen a team scared like Cowboys. Basically Giants said in 2006, they thought Cowboys easily got intimidated. That was BP era.

Well, if it is true, Wade's coaching philosophy as of late is playing right into it..

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
The only reason it hurt so bad when I was listning was because it was coming from someone I can't stand and it's true.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
khiladi;2420094 said:
Well, if it is true, Wade's coaching philosophy as of late is playing right into it..

Yeah Ok, like BP's team didn't lay down for the worst team in NFL in 2006, getting beat like a drum at the end of season.:rolleyes:

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2420095 said:
The only reason it hurt so bad when I was listning was because it was coming from someone I can't stand and it's true.

Yep :hammer:

khiladi

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2420099 said:
Yeah Ok, like BP's team didn't lay down for the worst team in NFL in 2006, getting beat like a drum at the end of season.:rolleyes:

Parcells philosophy played right into it as well. We played to protect the deep pass. We weren't attacking the QB and blitzing. Both coaches both play read-and-react. Wade hardly blitzes on 3rd down it seems. He rushes only four. You very rarely see press coverage and man-to-man. Wade and Parcells didn't like to play rookies, even though the talent level of the rookie was significantly better. Proctor, Ellis and Henry are the biggest examples for Wade. We are not an attacking team, even with our huge offensive line.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
"Heart"

I'm not sure if that has any coherent meaning. That is, that anyone that can find fault with this team can chalk it up to a lack of heart. How doesone measure this? If you can't then how can any definitive conclusions be drawn from this?

It's an overly-used word and as such tends to lose significant meaning over time.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
khiladi;2420110 said:
Parcells philosophy played right into it as well. We played to protect the deep pass. We weren't attacking the QB and blitzing. Both coaches both play read-and-react. Wade hardly blitzes on 3rd down it seems. He rushes only four. You very rarely see press coverage and man-to-man. Wade and Parcells didn't like to play rookies, even though the talent level of the rookie was significantly better. Proctor, Ellis and Henry are the biggest examples for Wade. We are not an attacking team, even with our huge offensive line.

Dude, its been about 14, years now, that that Mantra has been repeated by fans of Cowboys. First it was Campo and then Zimmer, and now Wade Phillips.

At some point, its no longer coaching. Coaching is overrated. At some point, it all come down to players. Without Players, no matter the coaching, it will fail. Coaching only works when you have players who can play.

Cowboys players are overrated, especially when it comes to heart and toughness, especially Mental Toughness. We can keep beating this drum about coaches on and on.... though just to fool ourselves and hope somehow to keep making coaches....

Temo

Reaction score
That's funny, because "heart" never seemed to trouble Strahan when he picked the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl this year.

"Hey this talented team is underperforming, what will we comment on?"

"You know, the usual... question their leadership, their 'heart', their 'moxie', all the good stuff"

"Sounds good... I'm getting paid for this mail-in job, right?"

"Yep."

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Temo;2420122 said:
That's funny, because "heart" never seemed to trouble Strahan when he picked the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl this year.

"Hey this talented team is underperforming, what will we comment on?"

"You know, the usual... question their leadership, their 'heart', their 'moxie', all the good stuff"

"Sounds good... I'm getting paid for this mail-in job, right?"

"Yep."
Exactly. "Heart" is just a buzzword, devoid of any substance.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
I think we do have a lack of heart, as when things go right on the field the team has no problem playing. When they get punched in the mouth first, they seem to quit. I also don't think this team prepares very well as if what Jacobs and Portis says is true, the defense seems to not know where they are supposed to be on any given play. And the last thing that kills this team is the lack of focus for an entire 60 minute game. We have not played a full game this season where we played all 60 minutes and did not have stupid penalties like off side, illegal procedure, holding....we have tons of talent, but that does not make a TEAM, which is what the NY Giants have and the reason they are much better than us so far this season.

Temo

Reaction score
JakeCamp12;2420131 said:
I think we do have a lack of heart, as when things go right on the field the team has no problem playing. When they get punched in the mouth first, they seem to quit. I also don't think this team prepares very well as if what Jacobs and Portis says is true, the defense seems to not know where they are supposed to be on any given play. And the last thing that kills this team is the lack of focus for an entire 60 minute game. We have not played a full game this season where we played all 60 minutes and did not have stupid penalties like off side, illegal procedure, holding....we have tons of talent, but that does not make a TEAM, which is what the NY Giants have and the reason they are much better than us so far this season.

Can we just separate stuff like 'heart' and being prepared and disciplined? I'd never say this team is very smart or disciplined, but I'd also never say they lacked heart too. Those are two entirely separate things.

I've been saying how disorganized this defense has looked all season, until the last couple of games. If Strahan had commented on their lack of preparedness and what not, I'd never have a problem with it.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
heart is important, sure.

having a healthy starting QB is important too...

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
they have no heart.... been saying that all year already. nothing new.

today the season turns around!

my boy romo is back and now its a new beginning. we have nothing to lose. everybody is already counting us out.

lets go cowboys!:star:

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I didn't know that some of the Giants players said the Cowboys were scared.

Again, there is a clear pattern being shown with regards to the toughness of the Dallas Cowboys.

We have had two coaches at the opposite spectrum of each other, with regards to coaching style and both struggled to get something out of this team.

Fans must start to accept the reality that it is the players that are the main problem with this team.

This group has been together for quite a while and I still don't know who the leader of this team is.

ndanger

Reaction score
So, I'm guessing, if the Cowboys beat the skins like a rented mule, win out the remaining games, go on the road in the play-offs, make it to the Super Bowl & win it, would mean that everyone who bought into some verbal diarrhea spewing from the gap between Strahan's front teeth were wrong. Didn't he say last year the Cowboy's were by far the toughest team they played in route to their improbable Super Bowl title? So which is it ? They have no heart or they were tough or could it possibly be Strahan trying to make his mark as a talking head ? Me , I'll wallow around in my eternal optimism and enjoy tonights game. It's what keeps me coming back year after year for better than 40 trips around the sun and counting now. Gloom and doom is for fans of fear and loathing.:cool:

cowboyed

Reaction score
How about the 2007 Cowboys. How could the juggernaut Giants allow themselves to be beaten by the wussie Cowboys in two regular season games and barely beat us in the playoffs. I tell you that Giants team is absolutely spineless and jelly legged.

But on a more serious note the Giants team fortified itself as the season ended and the Cowboys become overconfident and ambivalent thanks to Coach 13 and whatever...

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
RCowboyFan;2420119 said:
Dude, its been about 14, years now, that that Mantra has been repeated by fans of Cowboys. First it was Campo and then Zimmer, and now Wade Phillips.

At some point, its no longer coaching. Coaching is overrated. At some point, it all come down to players. Without Players, no matter the coaching, it will fail. Coaching only works when you have players who can play.

Cowboys players are overrated, especially when it comes to heart and toughness, especially Mental Toughness. We can keep beating this drum about coaches on and on.... though just to fool ourselves and hope somehow to keep making coaches....

does your philosophy not strike you as odd? Same can be said about players as it has coaching then. We have not had the same players as we did just a few years ago, but yet same attitude.
Is there some kind of entity living surrounding the Dallas orginization that comes and steals that "heart"? Do players come into town and say "Thank god I can leave my heart at home because I am a Cowboy now?

The one constant we have had over the years is poor coaches, and up until the last few years we also had poor players at key positions. So lets talk today, shall we?

Look at all we have read and heard from Wade. Tell me please how players would not take on the attitude of the coach. It has been said by the players themselves that Wade has never attended a defensive meeting, the defense has been confused in their assignments and displayed that on the field enough to where the opponent (such as Washington and NYG) has called it.
week after week analysts (and myself) have questioned why our cb's play 10 yards off the receiver and THEY STILL DO IT! This defense plays soft.

Heart does not come from a bunch of individuals, but rather a team as a whole and it is the coaches who are responsible for bringing that out IMO. Do you see Wade very inspiring?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ndanger;2420155 said:
So, I'm guessing, if the Cowboys beat the skins like a rented mule, win out the remaining games, go on the road in the play-offs, make it to the Super Bowl & win it, would mean that everyone who bought into some verbal diarrhea spewing from the gap between Strahan's front teeth were wrong. Didn't he say last year the Cowboy's were by far the toughest team they played in route to their improbable Super Bowl title? So which is it ? They have no heart or they were tough or could it possibly be Strahan trying to make his mark as a talking head ? Me , I'll wallow around in my eternal optimism and enjoy tonights game. It's what keeps me coming back year after year for better than 40 trips around the sun and counting now. Gloom and doom is for fans of fear and loathing.:cool:

I liked last year's team and think this year's team "is" even better, but you have to admit that our defense last year was soft as well. Our offense just made winning easy because we could counter and offset our defensive weakness. This year is a different story.