Now that the big deal is done, the Cowboys are now setup for E.T. to phone home

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
@AsthmaField knows deep down inside he would be giddy if ET did indeed phone home.

I think we all would. Though, I do agree with him in the sense that we really should temper our expectations a tad. Yes, it'd be brilliant if we DO get him. But, if we don't, I could see Richard doing wonders with Xavier Woods. We shall see in that regard, won't we? Either way, I'd be thrilled if we do manage to bring aboard ET.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Oh, I'm willing to give Woods a chance if our FO can't work out a deal. I just think that if we do manage to acquire that him that our defense would be greatly improved. Wouldn't you agree?
I don’t have enough time to really get into it right now... but I likely don’t think he’d make as much of an improvement as you (and most) do. I certainly don’t see him as that important with the cost both in salary cap dollars and in draft capital.

Many here wanted to use a second to get Thomas. I’d much rather have Williams to groom along the OL for the next decade than to have Thomas on the backend of our defense for the next three seasons... and at close to the highest paid at his position.

That’s just me though.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

That would work for me as well, and we may have more options next year if ET decides to spurn us again. Plus, if we do it that way, then we save ourselves a draft pick. So, in that sense, I'd be fine with waiting as well. Plus, by the end of the season, we may realize that we have more in our secondary than we realized.

Billyd

Reaction score
I wouldnt mind it, i just dont see it for financial, and football reasons..Those are saying no!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don’t have enough time to really get into it right now... but I likely don’t think he’d make as much of an improvement as you (and most) do. I certainly don’t see him as with the cost both in salary cap dollars and in draft capital.

Many here wanted to use a second to get Thomas. I’d much rather have Williams to groom along the OL for the next decade than to have Thomas in the backend of our defense for the next three seasons... and at close to the highest paid at his position.

That’s just me though.

Actually, I was really standoffish about the idea of a 2nd for ET. I was thinking that maybe we could a 4th, which would be the highest draft pick that I'd give up for him in his current situation. I also do see the idea of letting him play out his contract, and signing him without a draft pick next offseason if we think we need him still.

conner01

Reaction score
Nope. Seattle can keep the Alien. Boys like Xavier.
I know ET is a great player. And if he was younger I’d like the idea. But he wants big money which means big years and I just don’t think what he can bring compared to what we have is worth the money
I know I’m in the minority but just don’t think it’s a smart deal myself
Let’s see what the kids can do

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I think we all would. Though, I do agree with him in the sense that we really should temper our expectations a tad. Yes, it'd be brilliant if we DO get him. But, if we don't, I could see Richard doing wonders with Xavier Woods. We shall see in that regard, won't we? Either way, I'd be thrilled if we do manage to bring aboard ET.
I look at it this way... Our Front Ofc isn't crazy.. they know we have to compete with and beat the Eagle first & foremost. So they are going to pull out all the stops in a smart measured way that doesn't place us back into cap hell. ET and his situation (which is increasingly becoming more friendly to us) falls into that "all stops" category.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I look at it this way... Our Front Ofc isn't crazy.. they know we have to compete with and beat the Eagle first & foremost. So they are going to pull out all the stops in a smart measured way that doesn't place us back into cap hell. ET and his situation (which is increasingly becoming more friendly to us) falls into that "all stops" category.

It would depend on the contract, for me. If we can get him reasonably, then no doubt would I be pleased for us to bring him in.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3rd & TWill. Done! Probably already offered.

Just say no to any Rico options. That's my pet cat. :D

I know you've probably mentioned it before, but how high are you willing to go in terms of contract and salary for Thomas?

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
The number you've dialed is no longer in service, please hang up and don't dare call here again!

Jerry calls and offers Seattle a 3rd round pick, this is what happened.