News: Now this is how you handle malcontents who don’t honor the contract they signed

Cowboys22

Reaction score
To clarify. That is how you handle a player you have decided you no longer want to sign long term because that approach basically severed the relationship. You can’t do that with a player you still want to re-sign. I don’t think Jerry ever got to that point with Zeke. If and when he does, he would do something very similar. It’s all you really can do at that point.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Again. The "honor the contract" thing is total garbage.

For example, we signed Hurns to a two year 12 mill deal. We cut him after a year.

Yet no one is crying about how the team didn't honor the contract.

Yeah but he sucked

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Damn, that's some hardball statement to make. Gordon would be better served to take that advice by finding another team willing to work a trade.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To clarify. That is how you handle a player you have decided you no longer want to sign long term because that approach basically severed the relationship. You can’t do that with a player you still want to re-sign. I don’t think Jerry ever got to that point with Zeke. If and when he does, he would do something very similar. It’s all you really can do at that point.
Also when you are a multiple time all pro like Zeke, you have more leverage then a pkayer like Gordon who has 1000 season on his resume

Hailmary

Reaction score
Damn. 330k a week. It would take me years to amass that much income. Add to the fact that his pay is modest compared to others. I get that the average career of a professional athlete is short, but compared to the average working stiff, it's hard to sympathize.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
There is a big difference between this and the Zeke situation. First the nobody cares about the Charges. If Jerry said this it would be the only thing on ESPN for the next 2 weeks. Also the Chargers are nowhere close to being a SB caliber team, That most people see the Cowboys as. Gordon isn't going to put them over the top the way Zeke has the potential to for the Cowboys.
Still it's refreshing to here a GM say enough is enough.

erod

Reaction score
Rivers versus Dak.

Quite a different scenario.

Not to mention Zeke is a far better and more complete running back than Gordon.