Numbers: Claiborne vs. Diggs

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s not revisionist history. A trade up is ridiculously stupid when you have many needs and are dealing with 4 year contracts. It was fools gold then and that hasn’t changed 12 years later.
Naw I have no issue with that. I’d rather trade up and get the player I want then to rather settle for someone I don’t. I’m not big on trading up but not for settling for a inferior player. And if Mo was the best prospect they’ve seen since Deion? I get it.

Big_D

Reaction score
Naw I have no issue with that. I’d rather trade up and get the player I want then to rather settle for someone I don’t. I’m not big on trading up but not for settling for an inferior player. And if Mo was the best prospect they’ve seen since Deion? I get it.

You talk like there aren’t quality football players up and down the draft. You dont have the talent on the rest of the roster. A roster that was in serious need of an upgrade and one player wasn’t going to fix it. This is Jerry thinking he’s outsmarting everyone else, but he never actually does.

I could understand taking a chance if he didn’t just trade 3 picks for a crap WR a few years prior. He’s just compounding stupidity with more stupidity. Poor decisions on a regular basis snowballed into a desperate situation and it’s no surprise it amounted to nothing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You talk like there aren’t quality football players up and down the draft. You dont have the talent on the rest of the roster. A roster that was in serious need of an upgrade and one player wasn’t going to fix it. This is Jerry thinking he’s outsmarting everyone else, but he never actually does.

I could understand taking a chance if he didn’t just trade 3 picks for a crap WR a few years prior. He’s just compounding stupidity with more stupidity. Poor decisions on a regular basis snowballed into a desperate situation and it’s no surprise it amounted to nothing.
Like I said above, if there's a guy you want and you don't feel you can get that guy when you pick? Trade up for him. Looking at what was around when we picked? I don't see them going DE but there was Engram and Chandler Jones after we picked.

And I may not be remembering well but I seem to remember them thinking they wanted to retool the secondary and did it with Carr and Mo. .Failing on Roy Williams shouldn't stop you from making trades. You win some you lose some. .They lost on Mo unfortunately.

Loso86

Reaction score
“Our scouts graded him (Claiborne) the highest of any DB we’ve scouted.” — Jerry after trading up to draft Mo Claiborne 6th overall in the 2012 Draft

Claiborne
85 games (74 starts)
7 INTs
49 passes defensed

Diggs
31 games (30 starts)
15 INTs
41 passes defensed
Sometimes it just doesn't work out

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm not blaming our FO for wiffing on Claiborne, the whole league did.

I'm too lazy to back up with stats but it seems the no1 consensus CB drafted for years hasn't worked out (2016 Ramsay being the exception).

Even Ramsey is on his second team, and I have a hunch that he may move again in a few seasons.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
My favorite morris claiborne plays were when he was 3 yards out of position and he would make a giant 2 yard dive towards the reciever and land in the middle of nowhere

eromeopolk

Reaction score
“Our scouts graded him (Claiborne) the highest of any DB we’ve scouted.” — Jerry after trading up to draft Mo Claiborne 6th overall in the 2012 Draft

Claiborne
85 games (74 starts)
7 INTs
49 passes defensed

Diggs
31 games (30 starts)
15 INTs
41 passes defensed
Claiborne - 1 Super Bowl Ring
Diggs - 0 Super Bowl Ring

Emmitt Smith - 3 Super Bowl Rings
Barry Sanders - 0 Super Bowl Ring

Lets get back to Dallas Cowboys football which is Super Bowls not comparing players Jerry Dumbo GM Jones let go that went to Championship games after he let them go..

RonWashington

Reaction score
Joseph and Wright taken with premium picks so far little return . That grabbing the face mask as the receiver was going by Joseph , extended a Giants drive that would have been 4th down instead typifies the snaps he gets . They didn’t draft him round 2 for only ST contribution . And Wright can’t even get on the field .

Now DIggs is the opposite end of the spectrum . Perfect compliment to the steady play Anthony Brown provides . The Diggs INT ended any Giants hope of “ going for 2 “ again like DaBoll did when they beat Tenn .

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Claiborne
85 games (74 starts)
7 INTs
49 passes defensed

Diggs
31 games (30 starts)
15 INTs
41 passes defensed

I really did not think Claiborne was special. He was 3rd round talent at best. His 40 time was nothing special and was too rigid.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Claiborne was not a bad player, but he needed to be great to justify the draft capital used to obtain him.
Could not stay healthy either.

This is true. He struggled at first, but by his third season, he was playing very effectively when healthy. However, staying healthy was tough for him. He was close, but no cigar.

Big_D

Reaction score
Like I said above, if there's a guy you want and you don't feel you can get that guy when you pick? Trade up for him. Looking at what was around when we picked? I don't see them going DE but there was Engram and Chandler Jones after we picked.

And I may not be remembering well but I seem to remember them thinking they wanted to retool the secondary and did it with Carr and Mo. .Failing on Roy Williams shouldn't stop you from making trades. You win some you lose some. .They lost on Mo unfortunately.

They don’t win some at all. when you look at the team they’re finally assembling today, it’s from staying put on draft day. That whiff on Roy Williams carries over. It’s not just a one and done thing. That constant rotation of improving took a hit and then another hit. Without such ridiculous decisions that secondary could’ve already been handled. Then he goes for the home run and strikes out. and still has a large roster full of holes on top of it.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not sure why we expect scouts and others to be infallible - remember during the draft that Kiper and Mayock stated Claiborne had the best ball skills of any CB he'd seen in the past 10-12 years so it wasn't like we were up in the night. Many on this very forum were very excited about him.

Not like Diggs wasn't highly thought of as well and I'm glad we have him, but no team bats 1.000.
Mo has ball skills. That's why he was so overrated. What he lacks is coverage skills. And from what I read predraft, it was not an unknown fact. His burst and lateral agility and speed were only average for the position.

Think about this, we gave up valuable resources, giving up our future, to draft a CB strictly because he can catch. Never mind any of the other facets about his game, he can catch.

kskboys

Reaction score
They don’t win some at all. when you look at the team they’re finally assembling today, it’s from staying put on draft day. That whiff on Roy Williams carries over. It’s not just a one and done thing. That constant rotation of improving took a hit and then another hit. Without such ridiculous decisions that secondary could’ve already been handled. Then he goes for the home run and strikes out. and still has a large roster full of holes on top of it.
Traded up for MO and left a much better player on the boards in Fletcher Cox. Gawd was I POed that day.

You are basing your future on one player, and a CB to add insult to injury.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah I’ll never knock for that. They signed the best corner in free agency and he best corner in the draft. That should’ve showed up our secondary….it didn’t sadly.

People have revisionist history on Mo but Mo’s first couple of years didn’t have a training camp. Rookies need that and preseason. Then he battled injuries.
Absolutely zero revisionist history here. I was screaming mad at the trade up. Mo's scouting report read like a 3rd round talent. I have no idea how and why so many fell for the hoopla about him. The ONLY trait he had coming in was ball skills, that's it. Coverage be dammmed.

Big_D

Reaction score
Traded up for MO and left a much better player on the boards in Fletcher Cox. Gawd was I POed that day.

You are basing your future on one player, and a CB to add insult to injury.

And considering what Jerry did between 2007 and that point makes that decision even more ridiculous. It was a clueless move from a GM with no answers.

kskboys

Reaction score
Naw I have no issue with that. I’d rather trade up and get the player I want then to rather settle for someone I don’t. I’m not big on trading up but not for settling for a inferior player. And if Mo was the best prospect they’ve seen since Deion? I get it.
Thinking MO was like Deion was just ignorant. That is some bad scouting. (Not pointing that at you, BTW.)

Mo was a playmaker, but lacked coverage skills. As a CB, if you can't cover, nothing else matters.