Numerous Major Rule Changes To Be Considered at NFL Meetings

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It does make it harder on the refs. A big part of the problem is that different refs enforce rules differently. Take the rule about not hitting a defenseless WR. Does that include after he catches the ball? Clearly some refs think so, others do not. The rule book in the NFL is like the tax code. It's all over the place and very hard to keep track of, and it shows during the games.

True because often rules are not exactly black and white, they tend to be judgement and just as we see with calling balls and strikes in baseball all one can ask for in the game is that it is called consistently within the game and for both teams. If Dallas has to contend with refs who are calling it close then call it close for both teams. I can accept that.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Sky Judge is dumb.

I don't see how you can have "sky judge" review a play, because they're probably going to find a penalty on each time. It's stupid to me for them to review, say, Pass Interference, but not at the same time review the OL to make sure there was no holding.

Just call less
College football does it every week.....no problems and very fast.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess what bothers me is when I hear people in the league and those who cover saying they need to do this because people want to see these high scoring games. Myself I just want to see a good football game be it a defensive battle or and offensive shoot out.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The NFL doesn't need any more rules except expanding the rosters

Let all 63 players dress for each game

Post of the day here. For a league so concerned with player health and safety it is amazing the rosters have not expanded. They MUST do that before considering expanding the season (a real bad idea in my opinion). Expanding the rosters has to happen.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
This is a good quote from John Harbaugh.

“Look how tough it is for these officials, all right. I know as a coach, what’s the worst spot to watch the game from? Sideline. You see the least amount form the sideline. That’s why you put coaches in the box,” Harbaugh said. “OK. So we’ve got all this technology and the fans actually have a better view of the game from an officiating standpoint than the officials do"​

So I wish the "officials hate us" and "we wuz robbed" crowds would understand that there's no way officials can see everything that goes on to flag it and that every missed call isn't some deep-seated bias from a childhood Buffalo Bills fan still bitter about getting beat twice by us back in the 90's.

HungryLion

Reaction score
This is a good quote from John Harbaugh.

“Look how tough it is for these officials, all right. I know as a coach, what’s the worst spot to watch the game from? Sideline. You see the least amount form the sideline. That’s why you put coaches in the box,” Harbaugh said. “OK. So we’ve got all this technology and the fans actually have a better view of the game from an officiating standpoint than the officials do"​

So I wish the "officials hate us" and "we wuz robbed" crowds would understand that there's no way officials can see everything that goes on to flag it and that every missed call isn't some deep-seated bias from a childhood Buffalo Bills fan still bitter about getting beat twice by us back in the 90's.

You seem to feel like it’s your life’s mission to defend the refs at every step. Are you married to one or what?

An equally important aspect of Harbaughs quote is that due to current circumstances, referees often make bad calls. But you go into a diatribe whenever somebody calls out those bad calls too.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
One simple way to help with blown/missed calls is to just make every play reviewable, including judgement or non calls. That alone will alleviate most of the "bad calls" we generally see.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
as long as the penalties called or not called are accurate who cares
Well if all penalties were caught and flagged, even accurately, the game would be a disaster as it almost is now with all the calls. Need to remove alot of penalties from the books and let the players play the game. NFL needs to stop trying to trivialize the game, make football great again

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
They should do something. Some of these call and non calls are costing teams games. Sometimes the refs let the players play and sometimes they call everything. Consistence would be nice.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine...and not because I officiated a different sport (basketball). Calls ARE NOT costing teams games. The officials in football don't miss tackles, don't miss blocks, don't fumble, don't miss wide open receivers, don't drop passes that hit them in their hands, don't jump off-sides, don't line up in the neutral zone, don't make stupid play calls inside two minutes that keep stopping the clock when the team could run out the clock and kick a game winning FG, etc.

As long as you have humans officiating sporting events there are going to be missed calls, bad calls and consistency problems. What is a crew supposed to do if they want to "let the players play" at the start of the game but things start getting chippy? Just let it go until a melee breaks out, then toss a bunch of players or "tighten things up"? A honest coach will tell you, the team needs to be good enough to overcome a bad call/no call. Over the course of a season the calls almost always even themselves out. Take the LA/NO game. People are still having cats over the PI no call. What about the no call when the Saints grabbed Goff's facemask the previous possession. That would have given LA first and goal. They may have scored a TD if that call had been made rather the kicking the FG.

I had a player start whining about a no-call I made in the 3rd quarter of a game. As we went up the floor his coach yelled "Start shooting above 20% and his no-call won't matter." I promise you, 90% of the time, the only people at the game that do not care who wins are the ones officiating the game. Players, coaches and fans watch the game with their heart...officials watch it with their eyes.

I'll get off my soapbox now...carry on.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You seem to feel like it’s your life’s mission to defend the refs at every step. Are you married to one or what?

An equally important aspect of Harbaughs quote is that due to current circumstances, referees often make bad calls. But you go into a diatribe whenever somebody calls out those bad calls too.

So are you officially saying "we wuz robbed" too?

Of course bad calls happen. So do missed calls. Neither of those has to do with a pre-meditated agenda for or against another team and Harbaugh's quote is one of the reasons why. If I support or criticize an official's decision, I do so with video precisely to counteract the mouth-foamers and their conspiracy cries. And that STILL doesn't do much. Some value reality more than creating fantasy opposition to them getting their own way. If the truth offends, it offends.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nobody seems to want to address the real problem here. The problem is the fear of legality with concerns to injuries. It's a rough game. We all know it. Anybody who ever puts on pads understands that you can and probably will suffer a significant injury if you play long enough. That's it, that's the deal. The NFL has to embrace that and just have it out once and for all or they are, IMO, going to die a death of a thousand cuts. The game is not being improved. The game is being made lessor and it's because of all these ridiculous rule changes to begin with. QBs, you put on pads and like it or not, you are going to get hit. Special Teams, you are a part of the game so guys running down a thousand miles an hour and getting nailed on a peal back, get used to it. That's the way the game is played. Punt or Kickoff returners, same deal, you are going to get hit and people are going to do nasty things to you under the pile, that's the way the game is played. Get used to it. WRs, enough with this waiting till you have caught the ball and landed before you can get hit. regain a healthy fear of going over the middle, as it should be. This is the game, if you don't want to play the game, then don't play but this is the game. NFL has to deal with this and move on IMO.

Enough with the changes and the BS calls and all the rest. It's ruining the game of football, plain and simple IMO.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The NFL doesn't need any more rules except expanding the rosters

Let all 63 players dress for each game

I'd want bigger practice squads, maybe larger rosters, but not larger game day actives.

Converting the current roster reserves to game day actives would change the game and your rosters. It's a big change.

Now instead of injury reserves, you're going to tilt those spots toward game day production. I'd expect rosters to keep more defensive players, and the offense to get an extra gimmick player or two. You're not going to wear down a dline with the run game anymore.

But it would be a way to give the defense a little boost after so many years of tilting the rules toward the offense.

I'd rather expand the roster so teams don't have to go scrounging for players midseason as much. More injury reserves through the season, but not more players at the game.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
In no sport but the NFL do players, fans, coaches and general managers annually debate the rules of the game, advocating ways to make pro football better, safer, fairer.

Officiating is especially a hot topic around the league after a blown call late in the NFC championship game pretty much cost the New Orleans Saints a trip to the Super Bowl.

That capped a season that began with the long-awaited clarification of what constitutes a catch and then was marred by widespread confusion over what exactly is a legal takedown of the quarterback.

While defenders learned new ways to tackle to avoid flags for even glancing blows to the helmet, they complained about O-linemen illegally blocking too far downfield in the run-pass option craze that has successfully seeped in from the college game.

Giants owner John Mara hears the cries to change the NFL’s replay review system after officials failed to flag the blatant pass interference penalty and a helmet-first hit by the Rams’ Nickell Robey-Coleman deep in Los Angeles territory in the NFC championship match. The non-calls helped Los Angeles force overtime and eventually win the game to reach the Super Bowl, leading to widespread displeasure with the current system regarding coaches’ challenges.

https://www.westernjournal.com/wc/a...YOdEk_sNL4HWs3o93xsF0xF1CUyeSSa2FZ9m0t7C7eGzI
I am so tired of hearing about the Rams NO non call when no one mentions that horrible BAD call in the Chiefs NE game, when a DL's fingers grazed Bradys shoulder pad over a blocker and got called for roughing. That wasnt a missed call that was an irresponsible horrible made call, that shouldnt have been made, yet I havent heard one person bring it up again