Numerous Major Rule Changes To Be Considered at NFL Meetings

HungryLion

Reaction score
So are you officially saying "we wuz robbed" too?

Of course bad calls happen. So do missed calls. Neither of those has to do with a pre-meditated agenda for or against another team and Harbaugh's quote is one of the reasons why. If I support or criticize an official's decision, I do so with video precisely to counteract the mouth-foamers and their conspiracy cries. And that STILL doesn't do much. Some value reality more than creating fantasy opposition to them getting their own way. If the truth offends, it offends.

No I’m not saying that. But your first sentence proves the point I was making.

You’re just hell bent on proving other people wrong that you’re taking a quote from Harbaugh and twisting it to suit only the point you want to make, and ignoring the fact that it actually points to serious issues that affect the referees ability to correctly and consistently make accurate calls.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'd want bigger practice squads, maybe larger rosters, but not larger game day actives.

Converting the current roster reserves to game day actives would change the game and your rosters. It's a big change.

Now instead of injury reserves, you're going to tilt those spots toward game day production. I'd expect rosters to keep more defensive players, and the offense to get an extra gimmick player or two. You're not going to wear down a dline with the run game anymore.

But it would be a way to give the defense a little boost after so many years of tilting the rules toward the offense.

I'd rather expand the roster so teams don't have to go scrounging for players midseason as much. More injury reserves through the season, but not more players at the game.
that stuff doesn't bother me one bit

99% of Practice Squad guys never play a down in the NFL

I would rather see them be a Special Teams taxi squad.... you didn't read the part about activating them in my follow up post

ghst187

Reaction score
The rule is like to see is for every new rule they add, they have to get rid of another one.

The second rule is like to see is where anyone whose name rhymes with dodger goodbell would instantly be fired and removed from the league.

Love to see a balanced budget amendment too...wait which sport is this?

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Kinda random, but do you guys remember when T.O got flagged for spinning the ball after a play? Never seen that called ever again, lol.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
that stuff doesn't bother me one bit

99% of Practice Squad guys never play a down in the NFL

I would rather see them be a Special Teams taxi squad.... you didn't read the part about activating them in my follow up post

Changing the nature of the game bothers me. Physically wearing down a defense with the run game has always been a fundamental part of the game. It wouldn't be anymore.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
A sky judge may make calls more accurate, but will also lead to more penalties.
Now maybe if you make it that penalties have to be called on the field by field judges only, then after being told by use of technology the sky judge can help rule if the call is correct or not correct.

But the absolute last thing this league needs is more rules more penalties.
Maybe Dallas would actually get holding calls then haha

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The league knows they have to do something because of the blown call in the NFCCG.

Cant ignore it like it never happened. They have to put something in place to make sure something like that doesn't happen again.

Easiest solution is to give each team 3 challenges and you can use them to review any play, doesn't matter if a penalty was called or not, you can challenge any play to be reviewed. But you only get three and once you use them up, too bad. That way the games will not be significantly longer and teams have control over a bad call or a no call costing them the game.

Regardless, they are going to have to implement something for next season, cant pretend like the Saints debacle never happened.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
They would improve it if they just enforced the rules like illegal OL downfield or "legal" pick plays, as they're called today. The targeting rule was a joke as I see that in every game not called.

The NFL has a tough call to make. One of the complaints and reasons for viewership drop from where it used to be is the length of the games and too many stop downs. Now, they're considering adding more?

Harbaugh makes some good points but his reference to fans leaving the stadium knowing they'd seen a fair game does little to address the real challenge, fans with remotes in their hands. When I feel a game is jerky or slow moving, I exit and find something else. Attention spans are not expanding, they're shrinking and more rules and more stops, regardless of the justification, is just asking for more tune out.
I never tune out , I just get up and do something for minute or 2, the problem is they spend too much time on the review!
The way I see it , it should take 30 seconds or less look at each angle once and make a call.
if it is so close you have to look at it 30 times then the call on the field should just stand.

any call that is clearly wrong should be quick decision, and at same time have someone else already working on if overturned,
where the ball is spotted and clock time. That should already be done by time they over rule it.

So on close or unclear calls , let it stand as called.

Also stop making rules that require too much judgement, like make a football move , going to ground etc.

funny I thought the QB rule last year was a good rule, but most hated it including dummys like aikman.
Then when teams lose qb's same people whine about it,. especially if it is their qb.
There are not enough good qb's to go around now, so better we dont hurt or knock out the few that are playing.
Seeing a team play with their bkup qb is really boring to me.

The other thing is just the constant changing of rules, and I think that is more irritating than the rules themselves.
every year new rules that are not needed. As soon as we adjusted to the catch rule they changed it again,.
and even announcers dont know if it is a catch or not, and that is not good.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Please say you are kidding?
It would radically change the current dynamics of the game as to how it's played now & in it's planned scheme, now, a 55+ yarder made to be worth 4 points is an intriguing aspect to ponder upon,,,er,,,( my brief ponderations revealed to me that: league parity would soon be blown outta' the water, once some lvy league Head coaches/ivy league thought processing concerning the variable limitations involved in achieving a T.D. on any given offensive drive, were to latch onto a thunder footed booting footballer& just game plan to get the ball to within that midfield range) but hey gang!, Why the hell not? as the game is continually increasing it's headlong rush into the vortex of complete de-ballinization before our very eyes the way it is,ALREADYo_O

BigD_95

Reaction score
In no sport but the NFL do players, fans, coaches and general managers annually debate the rules of the game, advocating ways to make pro football better, safer, fairer.

Really? Then why has the NFL gotten worse and harder to watch every year that goes by?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It would radically change the current dynamics of the game as to how it's played now & in it's planned scheme, now, a 55+ yarder made to be worth 4 points is an intriguing aspect to ponder upon,,,er,,,( my brief ponderations revealed to me that: league parity would soon be blown outta' the water, once some lvy league Head coaches/ivy league thought processing concerning the variable limitations involved in achieving a T.D. on any given offensive drive, were to latch onto a thunder footed booting footballer& just game plan to get the ball to within that midfield range) but hey gang!, Why the hell not? as the game is continually increasing it's headlong rush into the vortex of complete de-ballinization before our very eyes the way it is,ALREADYo_O

I am calling it...post of the day. Thunder footed booting footballer might be the line of the year.

Brax

Reaction score
I agree I do think a difference I see it rules intended to protect players that tend to be judgement calls that was pretty hard to swallow last year. Some of the sacks especially early in the season did not look that bad yet players were getting hit with 15 yarders for them because they landed on the QB. Today so many of these QB are big, strong and athletic and if a defensive player does not wrap them up and take them down they will break free and make the play down the field.
I do not have any problem with safety rules but applied to the game properly. Incidental touching the helmet should not be called , a blow to the head should be called. Hitting the QB should be no different than any other player. All players should be above the knees and below the head. As for falling on the QB that has gone beyond the ridiculous, has there always been a unnecessary roughness penalty?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I do not have any problem with safety rules but applied to the game properly. Incidental touching the helmet should not be called , a blow to the head should be called. Hitting the QB should be no different than any other player. All players should be above the knees and below the head. As for falling on the QB that has gone beyond the ridiculous, has there always been a unnecessary roughness penalty?

I agree. I think it is not that hard to see the difference between an intentional roughing of the passer and a grazing of the helmet. I also think the landing on the QB making a clean tackle and trying to lift and bury a QB is not that hard to see the difference.

Brax

Reaction score
I agree. I think it is not that hard to see the difference between an intentional roughing of the passer and a grazing of the helmet. I also think the landing on the QB making a clean tackle and trying to lift and bury a QB is not that hard to see the difference.
I guess you and I and annalists along with millions of fans can see these problems but the league can't and will not address them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess you and I and annalists along with millions of fans can see these problems but the league can't and will not address them.

League in my view put such an emphasis on the QB they are willing to take away from the game itself. I'm all for protecting a QB from excessive hits but these touching the face mask or any part of the helmet drive me nuts