Numerous Major Rule Changes To Be Considered at NFL Meetings

Doomsday77

Reaction score
In no sport but the NFL do players, fans, coaches and general managers annually debate the rules of the game, advocating ways to make pro football better, safer, fairer.

Officiating is especially a hot topic around the league after a blown call late in the NFC championship game pretty much cost the New Orleans Saints a trip to the Super Bowl.

That capped a season that began with the long-awaited clarification of what constitutes a catch and then was marred by widespread confusion over what exactly is a legal takedown of the quarterback.

While defenders learned new ways to tackle to avoid flags for even glancing blows to the helmet, they complained about O-linemen illegally blocking too far downfield in the run-pass option craze that has successfully seeped in from the college game.

Giants owner John Mara hears the cries to change the NFL’s replay review system after officials failed to flag the blatant pass interference penalty and a helmet-first hit by the Rams’ Nickell Robey-Coleman deep in Los Angeles territory in the NFC championship match. The non-calls helped Los Angeles force overtime and eventually win the game to reach the Super Bowl, leading to widespread displeasure with the current system regarding coaches’ challenges.

https://www.westernjournal.com/wc/a...YOdEk_sNL4HWs3o93xsF0xF1CUyeSSa2FZ9m0t7C7eGzI
In college basketball for example (not sure about pros) they go to a review when over "flagrant" fouls making it a 1 or flagrant-2.

In college football they can make a determination whether a hit was flagrant enough to eject someone.

In the NFL aren't they already making these determinations on certain acts of personal fouls? Let the sky judge examine only those plays when it comes to replays...

droopdog7

Reaction score
The NFL doesn't need any more rules except expanding the rosters

Let all 63 players dress for each game
There is a VERY GOOD reason all players don't dress. If every player dressed and was eligible, teams would have a different number of players available on game based on injuries. So the extra players are a buffer so to speak.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
There is a VERY GOOD reason all players don't dress. If every player dressed and was eligible, teams would have a different number of players available on game based on injuries. So the extra players are a buffer so to speak.
That is not a good reason........that is gobbledegook ..... expanding to 63 men eliminates any disparity as an issue....... for example- 61 vs 56 available is so what?

Pee Wee teams dress more than 46 and we talk about Player Safety with a straight face

droopdog7

Reaction score
That is not a good reason........that is gobbledegook ..... expanding to 63 men eliminates any disparity as an issue....... for example- 61 vs 56 available is so what?

Pee Wee teams dress more than 46 and we talk about Player Safety with a straight face
Yeah, I don't think a difference of 61 vs. 56 is so what. Not even close to a so what.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Sky Judge is dumb.

I don't see how you can have "sky judge" review a play, because they're probably going to find a penalty on each time. It's stupid to me for them to review, say, Pass Interference, but not at the same time review the OL to make sure there was no holding.

Just call less

Yep. There are multiple penalties on every play of every game. It's the blatantly bad calls at key moments that cause everyone to overreact and open up to the idea of more regulation.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
No thanks. Under no circumstances should a field goal be worth the same amount as a touchdown.

Are you kidding??? Just think of it this way.....

How many kickers actually can make that kick??? It's a low percentage/high risk situation. Who doesn't want to see that??? and if he misses...then your giving up field position.

But if he makes it....It's a huge boost.

I think it would create all kinds of possibilities for increased scoring.:rolleyes:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Just read they are going to start replays on pass interference....get ready for 5 hour games. :popcorn:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
And just to throw some gas on the fire....:popcorn:

Eagles have proposed a rule change that would maintain Detroit and Dallas playing on Thanksgiving, BUT have one of the two on the road each year. So the Cowboys and Lions would alternate who was home each year.

Fire407

Reaction score
The problem is that there are probably infractions committed on every play. Obviously some are more egregious than others, but you review the pass interference and decide that it was and move the ball way down the field, while there might have been holding on the offensive line that wasn't called. I don't want every single play scrutinized because the penalties would paralyze the teams. For those of you that want the rules changed because of the Rams/Saints game, what happens if the coach is out of challenges and it happens with 2:05 left in the game so there can't bet a booth review? Then you will have people wanting to expand the rules even more. It was a horrible non-call that went against the Saints, but it's the only play in my memory that caused such an outrage. So one play in over 50 years of me watching football deserves the rules to be changed, where there will still be controversies and a whole lot of other penalties called.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You seem to feel like it’s your life’s mission to defend the refs at every step. Are you married to one or what?

An equally important aspect of Harbaughs quote is that due to current circumstances, referees often make bad calls. But you go into a diatribe whenever somebody calls out those bad calls too.
I'm in agreement here.
Ol' Marcus has a hard-on for criticizing peeps on refs.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
And just to throw some gas on the fire....:popcorn:

Eagles have proposed a rule change that would maintain Detroit and Dallas playing on Thanksgiving, BUT have one of the two on the road each year. So the Cowboys and Lions would alternate who was home each year.
Won't pass.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think you are reaching big time

That wearing out of the defense in the run game usually occurs in the 4th quarter. Add just two more dlinemen to the rotation, and you can push that getting worn down out into the 5th quarter or more.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Just get rid of replay already. We are quickly getting back to the invasive nonsense that cause it to be done away with in the first place. The ONLY reason.the NFL will approve a larger microscope on subjective calls, is because it means more commercials which means more money.

Just get rid of it.

erod

Reaction score
There are way too many rules and too much legal ramifications for a game to ever be called well again.

The sport is circling the drain.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
In no sport but the NFL do players, fans, coaches and general managers annually debate the rules of the game, advocating ways to make pro football better, safer, fairer.

Officiating is especially a hot topic around the league after a blown call late in the NFC championship game pretty much cost the New Orleans Saints a trip to the Super Bowl.

That capped a season that began with the long-awaited clarification of what constitutes a catch and then was marred by widespread confusion over what exactly is a legal takedown of the quarterback.

While defenders learned new ways to tackle to avoid flags for even glancing blows to the helmet, they complained about O-linemen illegally blocking too far downfield in the run-pass option craze that has successfully seeped in from the college game.

Giants owner John Mara hears the cries to change the NFL’s replay review system after officials failed to flag the blatant pass interference penalty and a helmet-first hit by the Rams’ Nickell Robey-Coleman deep in Los Angeles territory in the NFC championship match. The non-calls helped Los Angeles force overtime and eventually win the game to reach the Super Bowl, leading to widespread displeasure with the current system regarding coaches’ challenges.

https://www.westernjournal.com/wc/a...YOdEk_sNL4HWs3o93xsF0xF1CUyeSSa2FZ9m0t7C7eGzI

These refs should be investigated. I'm sure they bet on the game their calling and make these calls to change the outcome.

Some well say that can't happen. It happened to the NBA and it can happen to the NFL. There are no safe guards or studies to prove otherwise. Until then these refs use the official rulebook as a cover to make an extra few thousands bucks here and there.

Fire407

Reaction score
There are way too many rules and too much legal ramifications for a game to ever be called well again.

The sport is circling the drain.
The NFL is still king. It owns Sundays in the fall. The sport is still way more popular than other sports. Crappy preseason games and the Pro Bowl got bigger ratings than some playoff games in other sports. Judging by the popularity of the Boys even when they haven't won a championship, I would say the sport is doing extremely well. If ratings drop at all it's because people are starting to watch on other devices that aren't monitored by Neilson.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
These refs should be investigated. I'm sure they bet on the game their calling and make these calls to change the outcome.

Some well say that can't happen. It happened to the NBA and it can happen to the NFL. There are no safe guards or studies to prove otherwise. Until then these refs use the official rulebook as a cover to make an extra few thousands bucks here and there.

I don't think they do and I think any of us given that job would find it very difficult to get it right all the time. There are a number of times I watch games where at 1st glance I think the ref missed the ball only to see on replay they made the right call. No doubt I have also seen blown calls and some games that were just poorly officiated. Flip side I have seen teams go out and fail to execute and looked poor yet there are not accused of cheating they just sucked that day. It is called being human and as long as human play the game, coach the game and officiate the games there will be mistakes.