Nussmeier Has a Championship Resume

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did they?

I recall a lot of drops and missed blocks
Considering the talent we got out of limited talent and experience I would say so. After Swaim got hurt all we really had was move TE who is a marginal athlete in Jarwin and a rookie in line TE in Schultz

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not that we haven't had some success with the current playbook.

I don't believe there's any concern really with the playbook per se. Some modifications, a few additions, a few subtractions, seems sufficient.

We've had completely average success with Linehan. Right in the middle of the pack during his overall tenure. But his offense declined for two consecutive years and he was shown the door. This despite having some of the biggest investments and known playmakers of any team in the league over his time here. Things either change or they don't, there's no half-waying it.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
......I completely forgot he was ‘Bama’s OC for their 2012 Championship Team. Who was the star WR on that squad? A freshmen with the last name Cooper. You ALREADY KNOW they’re gonna ask Saban for advice.
The more I think about Nussmeier as OC, the better a fit I think he would be to take over.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think the main reason ScottL was fired is because of the failure to score in the redzone.

_sturt_

Reaction score
It just makes little sense to separate w/ Linehan and not already have talked with Nussmeier and given him the job.

And to clarify...

That's why I'm among those who feel pretty dadgum positive that it's not going to be Nussmeier... nor, for that matter, any of the others on other fans' wishlists that aren't otherwise contractually-obligated right now and still coaching this weekend.

Last edited:

ghst187

Reaction score
......I completely forgot he was ‘Bama’s OC for their 2012 Championship Team. Who was the star WR on that squad? A freshmen with the last name Cooper. You ALREADY KNOW they’re gonna ask Saban for advice.

He’s probably have to take a big pay cut to leave Alabama and go to the NFL

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
They better not trot out the TE coach as the answer to our problems.

The team needs something NEW. We continue to rehash the same crap every year and not surprisingly, nothing changes
He has a long history as an OC and QB coach. Also don't knock him just because he's currently the TEs coach. It's his first stop in the NFL in over a decade and at some point he's likely going to work his way back into an OC position.

Also, look at Freddie Kitchens who's currently the Browns head coach. He was the TE coach here in Dallas during the Parcells era. He's been a TE and RB coach for the majority of his coaching career but once he got a chance to be the OC he hit a HR.

After Hue Jackson and Todd Haley were fired Baker Mayfield and the Browns offense took off. I watched a few Browns games and came away very impressed with the creativity of Kitchens' play calls. It was similar to the level of creativity that you see with the Rams.

So don't knock him simply because of the position that he's currently in.

Gaede

Reaction score
He has a long history as an OC and QB coach. Also don't knock him just because he's currently the TEs coach. It's his first stop and he's likely going to work his way back into an OC position eventually.

Also, look at Freddie Kitchens who's currently the Browns head coach. He was the TE coach here in Dallas during the Parcells era. He's been a TE and RB coach for the majority of his coaching career. But once he got a chance to be the OC he hit a HR.

After Hue Jackson and Todd Haley were fired Baker Mayfield and the Browns offense took off. I watched a few Browns games and came away very impressed with the creativity of Kitchens' play calls. It was similar to the level of creativity that you see with the Rams.

So don't know him simply because of the position that he's currently in.

It's not so much the position that he coached for us but that he coached for us. I think more is needed than a new play caller. We need a fresh face, perspective, and philosophy. I don't think we will get that from some one already on staff

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
It's not so much the position that he coached for us but that he coached for us. I think more is needed than a new play caller. We need a fresh face, perspective, and philosophy. I don't think we will get that from some one already on staff
But that's exactly what Kitchens gave the Browns....a fresh face and philosophy. He was completely different from Todd Haley.

Nussmeier has only been with the Cowboys for 1 year, so it's not like Linehan and Garrett's schemes are deeply ingrained in him. This man has his own philosophy and offensive system.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Bama plays football like they are in the stone age too.

You can get away with that in college when your roster is way better then everyone else’s.

Rosters are too similar in the NFL to just ignore schemes.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I'd give him a shot...if Campbell decides to remain with the saints...I'm good with it.
Linehan needed to go after the atlanta game.
Im open to just about anyone at this point...except maybe mike mccoy...it hasnt seemed to work any where he's been.

Gaede

Reaction score
But that's exactly what Kitchens gave the Browns....a fresh face and philosophy. He was completely different from Todd Haley.

Nussmeier has only been with the Cowboys for 1 year, so it's not like Linehan and Garrett's schemes are deeply ingrained in him. This man has his own philosophy and offensive system.

Good point

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
No thanks I want new ideas. Nussmeier is a Scott guy and would just continue the Scott JG offense. Scott was Nussmeier’s OC in college then Nussmeier was the QB coach under Scott with the Rams. Got to be a young offensive mind out there who can design an offense to fit Dak heck I wouldn’t even mind going to college to get someone.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Most likely they will. Good catch.

Not sure if I want Nussmeier as OC though. I just have a feeling it will be the same old playbook. Unless he can remove some of the plays and add new ones.
Not be so predictable.

But just can't see it at this point. However, still great there will be someone different calling the plays.
While reading your post I was just thinking about that scene in the movie Waterboy, when the playbook was pulled from his hands.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
We've had completely average success with Linehan. Right in the middle of the pack during his overall tenure. But his offense declined for two consecutive years and he was shown the door. This despite having some of the biggest investments and known playmakers of any team in the league over his time here. Things either change or they don't, there's no half-waying it.
Detroit would agree, his previous resume had me SMH as to why he was ever hired in the first place.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I think they need and OC that will integrate his playbook with the old one to speed up the overhaul. I think a complete teardown will cause some growing pains, if the new OC keeps some of the old and puts in new stuff with a goal of a new plan by year two the team will benefit.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Until the playbook is changed it’s just a different guy calling the same plays.
Yup. That 2-page playbook, written in crayon, moseyed its way into this organization in 2007. Different play-callers have been handcuffed to it...maybe even added a play or two to it, but ultimately, that old Air Coryell-based relic needs to be finally burned by hellfire.