Nussmeier Has a Championship Resume

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The more I think about Nussmeier as OC, the better a fit I think he would be to take over.

I would be more comfortable with him than Campbell or Lombardi. I think Nuss knows how to call plays better than anyone in the team right now. The last game against the Giants was as different as an offense as I've seen the Cowboys play. From what I heard Nuss was involved with the playcalling.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I would be more comfortable with him than Campbell or Lombardi. I think Nuss knows how to call plays better than anyone in the team right now. The last game against the Giants was as different as an offense as I've seen the Cowboys play. From what I heard Nuss was involved with the playcalling.

This is where I am.....but I can also see them bringing his a new TE coach and maybe running or passing game coordinator.

Sheffielder74UK

Reaction score
If it was going to be Nussmeier why not just announce it?
If we are going to consider him, are we going to trial him at the Pro Bowl?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yup. That 2-page playbook, written in crayon, moseyed its way into this organization in 2007. Different play-callers have been handcuffed to it...maybe even added a play or two to it, but ultimately, that old Air Coryell-based relic needs to be finally burned by hellfire.
2 pages is giving it to much credit. It’s a index card with large easy to read lettering.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Detroit would agree, his previous resume had me SMH as to why he was ever hired in the first place.

Just like most hires - comfort. That's why Garrett was hired and continues to be employed, he allows Jones to be comfortable. Linehan did the same for Garrett.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Just like most hires - comfort. That's why Garrett was hired and continues to be employed, he allows Jones to be comfortable. Linehan did the same for Garrett.
Why I keep going back to the fact that staff salaries do not impact your cap.
If Jerry likes having Garrett around to hang out and shoot the crap with, maybe a few drinks, than fine, pay the man to be your buddy, just give him another title and get him out of the way.
A true innovative mind needs to be brought in that can devise a scheme that actually takes advantage of the unbelievable wealth of youth and talent that is currently on this team, but that talent fades fast, and wasting time utilizing contract talent in todays NFL is just wasting more opportunities for more Lombardis.
If Jerry really wants more rings, he needs to have an open wallet for this staff.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think this is going to be critical for success. If the Cowboys were to blow the thing up and institute a new scheme with new formations, plays, terminology, etc., it would have set them back. Tweaking what they have to better utilize Dak's running ability/threat and to change things up during situational playcalling are what I see as needed most.

Promoting someone already on staff that and giving them an opportunity to work closely with Garrett and figure this thing out is a smart move and I think gives them a good chance to make needed improvements. The talent is in place, just need to put them in position to win those situations like third and long and redzone that continually set them back.
I read a few article from different players, and some analysts as well. and the gist of the article was that most route trees, play designs, etc. are similar. its the combination of which that makes the difference and specially on game day. yes, pre-snap motions are part of the play designs everyone has, and I think we should use more. but how you call plays on game day is what separates good coordinators from the average ones. its how you call a play in 1st quarter to set up a play in the 4th quarter, how you assess defensive alignment and response against certain formations, and how you adjust you play calling as the game goes along and you discover how the defense is reacting and playing and you are finding the weak spots. will they use more dak rolling out. I hope so. I have argued since pre-season that Dak is more suited to a west coastish type of offense as he throws better on the move than from the pocket. that buys us some, it doesn't preclude the fact, that Dak absolutely needs to get better from the pocket. QB rolls and RPOs are also somewhat limiting if you can't execute the full spectrum of plays, because they will translate to tendencies that defenses can then counter.

with that said, I don't expect a fully revised play book. I don't think the play book is necessarily bad, but play calling is pretty bad. game planning offensively has lacked. and play design in terms of using the right combination of routes, pre-snap movements, alignments need improvement. and in the end of the day, it comes down to execution. nothing will ever beat that

Rayman70

Reaction score
THIS would be a bad hire and an opportunity missed. We have a chance to get Dan Campbell AND LOMBARDI!! Two guys that work well together and have a rapport with the players they coach.

khiladi

Reaction score
He was brought in by Linehan per Jerry. Sanjay Lal was also brought in by Linehan per Jerry. Dallas going out to get Cooper at have been influenced by these two guys who were with Cooper.

Centex

Reaction score
Here's a troubling factoid. Doug Nussmeier was a quarterback at Idaho as was Scott Linehan. Linehan was Nussmeier's offensive coordinator for three years at Idaho.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They better not trot out the TE coach as the answer to our problems.

The team needs something NEW. We continue to rehash the same crap every year and not surprisingly, nothing changes
BETTER NOT, what of they do, what are you going to do?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I read a few article from different players, and some analysts as well. and the gist of the article was that most route trees, play designs, etc. are similar. its the combination of which that makes the difference and specially on game day. yes, pre-snap motions are part of the play designs everyone has, and I think we should use more. but how you call plays on game day is what separates good coordinators from the average ones. its how you call a play in 1st quarter to set up a play in the 4th quarter, how you assess defensive alignment and response against certain formations, and how you adjust you play calling as the game goes along and you discover how the defense is reacting and playing and you are finding the weak spots. will they use more dak rolling out. I hope so. I have argued since pre-season that Dak is more suited to a west coastish type of offense as he throws better on the move than from the pocket. that buys us some, it doesn't preclude the fact, that Dak absolutely needs to get better from the pocket. QB rolls and RPOs are also somewhat limiting if you can't execute the full spectrum of plays, because they will translate to tendencies that defenses can then counter.

with that said, I don't expect a fully revised play book. I don't think the play book is necessarily bad, but play calling is pretty bad. game planning offensively has lacked. and play design in terms of using the right combination of routes, pre-snap movements, alignments need improvement. and in the end of the day, it comes down to execution. nothing will ever beat that
Nice!