NY Giants and the Daniel Jones pick

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm saying Dak gets way too much flak as 4th rounder when scrubs like this get taken top10..my point could be worse, I can make it a Zeke thread take this dude or Zeke..? Zeke but oh no not RB even though the giants took SB earlier :)

I can make thisa Jones thread say what you will about JJ at least he didnt take Johny football but the giants took DJ

I can make this a ROMO thread at least he didnt get drafted... get it :)):lmao2::thumbup::popcorn:

Dak is no longer a 4th round QB. So it makes no sense to invoke what round he was picked in at this point unless of course there is a new rule in the league where you get bonus points in games if your later round player outperforms a higher drafted player.

Sydla

Reaction score
And I thought this zone was for discussion on the Cowboys...am I on the right website??

Provincial thinking.

The Giants are a divisional opponent so what they do or don't do are worthy discussion topics........... at least the should be for any rational, logical Cowboys fan.

And we don't need to turn every thread on the board into a Dak thread either.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak is no longer a 4th round QB. So it makes no sense to invoke what round he was picked in at this point unless of course there is a new rule in the league where you get bonus points in games if your later round player outperforms a higher drafted player.
I disagree wheres he selected has everything to do on how hes performing and the expectations the day his name was called which BTW was no where near where it is now and thats why the complaints hes not AR or Ben type game is why I brought it up..

J12B

Reaction score
And I thought this zone was for discussion on the Cowboys...am I on the right website??

This subject obviously has your attention.

Probably because the Cowboys are division rivals and how this pick will impact that rivalry for years to come.

It's worth discussing on a Cowboys forum

Sydla

Reaction score
I disagree wheres he selected has everything to do on how hes performing and the expectations the day his name was called which BTW was no where near where it is now and thats why the complaints hes not AR or Ben type game is why I brought it up..

It has zero bearing at this point.

Because he's now a veteran QB and the only discussion should be is he good enough to continue for years as our QB............ not his play weighed by what round he was picked in.

The complaints as to why he is not AR is because guess what? He's not AR. Or Tom Brady (who was picked in the 6th round). He's not as good as those guys. What rounds they were picked in doesn't matter anymore.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't watch any of day 1 of the draft and perhaps this has been a topic that has already been discussed, but wow, it seems that the Giants made a huge reach when taking Daniel Jones at #6 based on a good majority of the feedback regarding the pick.

Did the Gettleman and the Giants make an enormous mistake by taking Jones?

It sure sounds like it. So much doubt is behind Jones and now the pressure of being a #6 overall pick isn't going to make things easier for him.

I'm glad the Giants are in our division. This story is going to be fun to watch for the next few years, especially if he is a bust.

1. More QBs similar to Jones (Eli, etc.) have had NFL success than QBs similar to Kyler Murray. From a probability perspective Jones at #6 is probably safer than Murray at #1.

2. The draft media is historically terrible at evaluating QBs. Jones was on a team that lacked talent around him which makes it hard to evaluate him.

3. QB success most often determined by their mental make-up which is something media/fans can't really evaluate.

4. Knowing what you know now, would you have drafted Eli Manning with the 1st pick in 2004 if given the choice? If yes, then you would likely draft Daniel Jones at #6 in 2019.

Jones had the same college coach (oc and hc) as Eli and Payton Manning. The Giants likely know as much or more about him than any NFL team and definitely more than the media; although being too close to a player could could their judgement.

5. Jones will need a good team around him. The Giants have not put a good team around Eli in a long time. I don't know if they can put one around Jones or not.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The whole overdraft thing gets a bit crazy. If Jones was their guy you take him just like if hill was the guy everyone liked we take him at 58 and not try to trade down and possibly lose him. Would Jones had fanned to them later, no one knows for sure. You draft by your board not anyone else's.

kumizi

Reaction score
There is a 80% chance they made a huge reach for a QB and Gettleman is a moron.

There is a 20% chance he becomes a starting QB and everyone thinks Gettleman is a genius.

Such is life in the NFL. Every team is desperate for a QB and reaches or overpays. If anyone really knew how to evaluate QBs, that person would be rich as hell.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Pretty sure they could've had Daniel Jones AND another 1st round pick (2nd at worst)
But if they truly think he is a real franchise QB, then I get it.
If they have any doubts, you have to trade down there
They could’ve had the Allen kid from Kentucky and a QB. They overthought it.

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
If they wanted a QB they should've drafted Haskins.

And I'm not saying that because I'm a Skins fan, I'm just saying it because he's obviously the better QB talent. He's better in the pocket, under pressure, with a much better arm. The only thing Jones has over him is mobility.

Flamma

Reaction score
I didn't watch any of day 1 of the draft and perhaps this has been a topic that has already been discussed, but wow, it seems that the Giants made a huge reach when taking Daniel Jones at #6 based on a good majority of the feedback regarding the pick.

It sure sounds like it. So much doubt is behind Jones and now the pressure of being a #6 overall pick isn't going to make things easier for him.

I'm glad the Giants are in our division. This story is going to be fun to watch for the next few years, especially if he is a bust.

Bust or hall of famer it's still a bad pick. Why? Because they could have drafted him with the 6th pick in the 2nd round. The Giants could have drafted either Allen or Oliver with that pick. Along with Dexter Lawrence they could have then picked that goofy QB. Lock was available too I think. I'm just really glad the Giants didn't go that route. Those two defensive lineman would have been giving us fits for years to come.

kskboys

Reaction score

When drafting a QB, teams are generally forced to make a choice between physical tools and mental ability. In this case, the Gnats took the guy w/ the best mental game in the draft. The only question remaining is whether his arm is good enough. Oh, and whether he can shorten up that delivery.

He's a film room junkie w/ good mobility and has experience playing in a pro style O. In a very poor QB class, they took the guy who is the best upstairs.

kskboys

Reaction score
Been discussed since the met it happens, unless h surprises every one he looks at best a bortles or Tannehill type ceiling..at worst hes bust ..every dak hater out there who rip him every moment even after a solid 3years and a 4th round pick needs to look at all the busts and reaches in 1st round QBS..
No, he doesn't look like Bortles or Tannehill at all. Those guys are polar opposites of what Jones is. If he busts, it's because he doesn't have the arm, very simple. It's more a question of whether he's Tom Brady or Steve Walsh. He appears to be at least a decent starter.

Techsass

Reaction score
Football smarts is very important for a QB. Montana didn't have the best arm, but he sure knew how to use what he did have. We'll see how Jones turns out soon enough.

Right now I prefer to think that NY totally screwed up their draft...again.

kskboys

Reaction score
It really doesn't. Not any more.