News: NYPost: Ezekiel Elliott threatens to sue Sports Illustrated over story controversy

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Zeke is such a funny guy -- not too sure if it's funny ha-ha or funny peculiar, though!
Gee Willickers . . . I'm really getting more and more confused by the minute! :huh:
Well ga lee..

I think Zeke is probably a great dude to hang out with.

I am going to throw rocks now at my friend's.

Come on Zeke..let's take a tour of the Colorado dispensaries. I know this little shop over behind the Whataburger in Ft. Collins..

Zeke..do your impersonation of Garrett again for me? You kill me, bro...

:cool:

aria

Reaction score
It got the desired effect. SI changed the story and apologized. Not every lawsuit threat is about actually taking something to court.

SI's admission/change shows that its editorial staff knows that it was wrong to say something that was unsubstantiated. I have no problem with Elliott threatening to sue over speculation by a sports news entity that it should not have been making.

Are you telling me that if there was a police report in which you told police you were faded and my newspaper said you were high on dope when you weren't that you wouldn't want that corrected? Maybe you don't care about your reputation, but I'd demand a retraction.
Well thankfully they changed the title, I’m sure that really cleaned up his image. That must have been traumatizing for the poor guy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well thankfully they changed the title, I’m sure that really cleaned up his image. That must have been traumatizing for the poor guy.

I don't really understand why it is wrong or offensive for Elliott to complain when something wrong was written about him.

He can't win with some of you.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It got the desired effect. SI changed the story and apologized. Not every lawsuit threat is about actually taking something to court.

SI's admission/change shows that its editorial staff knows that it was wrong to say something that was unsubstantiated. I have no problem with Elliott threatening to sue over speculation by a sports news entity that it should not have been making.

Are you telling me that if there was a police report in which you told police you were faded and my newspaper said you were high on dope when you weren't that you wouldn't want that corrected? Maybe you don't care about your reputation, but I'd demand a retraction.

But here is the reality of it. SI got the desired effect from "misprinting" it. The damage is done. Apologies and corrections or not, it is out there. And you know the Zeke detractors on here will never believe otherwise even with proof given to them. They will run with it forever.

I have a friend, that is so pig headed, he cites Dak can't throw the ball over 10 yards. When I showed him the stats that Dak is one of the top passers throwing it 20 yards. He shuts up, but 3 days later he spews the same crap. It took me basically telling him that in front of everyone that could hear, as he has not said it in 2 weeks now. But he will eventually.

gimmesix

Reaction score
But here is the reality of it. SI got the desired effect from "misprinting" it. The damage is done. Apologies and corrections or not, it is out there. And you know the DakZeke detractors on here will never believe otherwise even with proof given to them. They will run with it forever.

I have a friend, that is so pig headed, he cites Dak can't throw the ball over 10 yards. When I showed him the stats that Dak is one of the top passers throwing it 20 yards. He shuts up, but 3 days later he spews the same crap. It took me basically telling him that in front of everyone that could hear, as he has not said it in 2 weeks now. But he will eventually.

I can't say that what the writer wrote was purposefully misleading. I think he made an assumption that he shouldn't have made. (Any assumption made by a so-called journalist is one he or she shouldn't have made because we're in the news business not the assumption business.) So I'm not going to assume that SI desired the effect.

I do agree that his detractors don't care about the assumption because they either assume Zeke is lying or that the truth doesn't matter because they don't like him. It's just like the assumption that he committed domestic violence when he was never charged with a crime and the NFL's lead investigator concluded the accuser was not credible and recommended no suspension.

People are going to believe what they want to believe. I try to hold myself to a higher standard as a journalist. If I can't prove it, I don't assume it and I don't report it. The exception to that is if someone considered to be credible or an authority says it, then it is reported and attributed to them. That still doesn't mean that I just assume it is true.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
But here is the reality of it. SI got the desired effect from "misprinting" it. The damage is done. Apologies and corrections or not, it is out there. And you know the Zeke detractors on here will never believe otherwise even with proof given to them. They will run with it forever.

Old memories are oftentimes pretty difficult to erase! As a small child, I went to a parochial school. Sister Superior there called me up to her class one day to explain why I was late to school. I made up a story about my alarm clock not going off, even though I didn't even own one. Evidently, she wasn't buying my creative tale and decided to rap my hand several times, really hard, with this thick ruler she kept handy. As I now recall, that was the only time I'd ever seen her smile! Anytime she comes to mind so many decades later, I have to smile, recalling how sinister that smile was! Old memories tend to stick! :D

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
I don't really understand why it is wrong or offensive for Elliott to complain when something wrong was written about him.

He can't win with some of you.
Why is it offensive? A lot of people who supported him said since smoking pot isn’t punishable anymore then it’s no big deal even if he was high and admitted it.

I also find it funny that he is crying about being the “victim” for once in his life instead of the other way around. This guy has done nothing to help his reputation, quite the contrary, and now he’s offended that someone said he was high after he walked into a pot store, admitted to doing drugs and announced to the public that he was “low key faded” which is also known having had alcohol and weed. Now his feelings are hurt? Please.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Why is it offensive? A lot of people who supported him said since smoking pot isn’t punishable anymore then it’s no big deal even if he was high and admitted it.

I also find it funny that he is crying about being the “victim” for once in his life instead of the other way around. This guy has done nothing to help his reputation, quite the contrary, and now he’s offended that someone said he was high after he walked into a pot store, admitted to doing drugs and announced to the public that he was “low key faded” which is also known having had alcohol and weed. Now his feelings are hurt? Please.

I don't know why it is offensive to ones like you who seem to be bothered that he's complaining about something he's saying is untrue being written about him.

I also don't think see why his past should have any bearing. If you admitted something in your past, should I assume that you are doing it today just because of a comment you made that could be interpreted several ways. The SI writer assumed something, Elliott called SI out for it. I can't see any reason to belittle Elliott for that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

No matter how many (relatively minor) wrongs a person does, he has the right to stand up for himself if he himself is wronged.

He definitely needs to grow up, but as others have said, I don't think he's a bad person.

aria

Reaction score
I don't know why it is offensive to ones like you who seem to be bothered that he's complaining about something he's saying is untrue being written about him.

I also don't think see why his past should have any bearing. If you admitted something in your past, should I assume that you are doing it today just because of a comment you made that could be interpreted several ways. The SI writer assumed something, Elliott called SI out for it. I can't see any reason to belittle Elliott for that.
It’s not offensive to me at all, I think it just shows his lack of maturity, decision making and common sense to announce to everyone that he is high and drunk with his history. Why draw more attention to yourself? He acts surprised every time he does something stupid and it gets attention. How many more times will it take for him to figure this out?

It’s real simple, a 5 year old could do it. If you can’t behave in public, don’t go out. If you can’t use social media without drawing negative or unwanted attention to yourself for being dolt, then don’t use social media.

Please don’t play naive, we all know what he meant. Everyone knows he smokes weed, so what, they called him out for what he admitted to and now he acts like his image is tarnished because of that? Hardly, most people already know he’s as dumb as a pile of rocks and most people don’t care about weed, it’s the fact that he was dumb enough to tell everyone he was high at the time.

And yes, if I had a history of alcohol abuse, then I do a live feed and say I was hammered, krunked, loaded, tanked, etc when I thought the camera was off and people assume I was drinking that would be a logical and safe assumption. I could crawfish and say “my buddies say plastered is when you drink too much water” or “I say tanked all time after I do a heavy set in the gym” but that would make me look even more foolish.

BTW, why did he act so surprised that the camera was still on if he didn’t mean he was high? Why didn’t he just say he was “low key faded” during his live feed if it didn’t mean he was high?

As I said, it’s not a big deal, it just shows how dumb he is and invites more scrutiny and unwanted publicity.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I tried to tell folks faded meant being drunk. He has a good case if he should decide to sue.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
What? SI writing what it did or Zeke suing?

Respected journalists should not have assumed that he meant he was high on dope just because he used the word faded. We're taught not to assume anything. Elliott was right to call SI out for that.

Posters on here meanwhile are free to always assume the worst, which many of them usually do.
suing is not "calling out"

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I tried to tell folks faded meant being drunk. He has a good case if he should decide to sue.
doubt it, its extremely hard to successfully sue for libel or slander. I didnt read it but I would guess they added the necessary qualifying language to show that they are making suppositions and dont know for sure therefore not it is not slanderous

glimmerman

Reaction score
Probly cried himself to sleep on his huge pillow. And lumpy mattress full of signing bonus money. What a terrible way to live.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I didn't realize Sports Illustrated was still around. I cancelled my subscription many years ago. It was really a bad sports magazine. I think the only think that kept is afloat were the swimsuit editions. I don't know if Elliott has much of a lawsuit with this. But reporters trying to stir up controversy is nothing new.
Peter King is their lead reporter.

He did a good interview with McCarthy when McCarthy threw his hat in the Ring for coaching again.

Other than that..