Offense discussion

Smith22

Reaction score
Go back to the beginning of last season for a moment if you will.

The offense was inconsistent and struggled until Lamb exploded and demanded the ball. It seemed like from that point on the offense figured out some things, including using motion and the offense gained more explosiveness.

Fast forward to now. Why does it seem like our WRs seem to constantly run hooks or curls with very little variation. No motion, just dull play calling.

It seems to me we ignored everything we learned offensively from last season and started at ground zero again.

Side note, kudos to Mazi and Overshown. Much better performance

NDGAEDE

Reaction score

The offense was inconsistent and struggled until Lamb exploded and demanded the ball. It seemed like from that point on the offense figured out some things, including using motion and the offense gained more explosiveness.

Fast forward to now. Why does it seem like our WRs seem to constantly run hooks or curls with very little variation. No motion, just dull play calling.

It seems to me we ignored everything we learned offensively from last season and started at ground zero again.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Last year, we did no motion, couldn't get Ceedee the ball, and then people complained so much that they made big changes during the bye week. I may be misremembering, but I feel like we ended the season playing the vanilla offense as well.

Now, we've gone back to that pre-bye week offense for some reason. Mike and Schottenheimer just don't have the creativity for a modern offense. They rely on Dak to make plays from nothing.

Smith22

Reaction score
Mike and Schottenheimer just don't have the creativity for a modern offense. They rely on Dak to make plays from nothing.
This is my biggest gripe. Our WRs currently are amongst the worst in separation created, but when they are running constant hooks and curls with ZERO motion, how much separation can you be expected to gain?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

Bold: The offense needed to be dumbed down so that the highest paid player in NFL history could have a chance at completing some passes.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
The comeback routes are killing me. Sometimes it’s scramble drill, but very little creativity from MM

khiladi

Reaction score

You mean the lack of creativity and routes everybody was blaming Kellen Moore for?

Did we forget or did defenses catch on to what this team was doing? Dak finished the season with 5 picks and still couldn’t throw against the teams that played zone, particular quarter coverages. He sucked against the Cardinals and Chargers, even though their defenses were horrible. The Packers played quarter coverages and so did teams like Bills.

I didn’t watch the game last night, but more teams are rolling over extra coverage to Lamb and even when Dallas puts Lamb in motion, I’ve noticed teams just sit, meaning they are playing zone and a lot of cover 2 shell.

With no running game to push defenses to play man and no big leads to force defenses to get aggressive by trying to bring pressure, defenses just sit back and make the QB process the field.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The offense is putrid because management overrates its players starting with the “field general”.

Six points in the second half with three coming from a sixty-yard field goal is simply pathetic for the highest paid QB in the league.

Flamma

Reaction score
Don't worry, I'm sure our offense will look much better next week in Pittsburgh. :rolleyes:

khiladi

Reaction score
Ignorant take.

He had 4500 yards last season and 36 TDs.
8 of those TDs came against the Commanders, the 32nd ranked pass defense, by then had already traded their 2 best players and one of them, they were out of playoff contention and Dak didn’t even need to play. And the Cowboys defenses generated 5 TOs in those games to give them good field position.

Blackrain

Reaction score
This is not the game to have a discussion about the offense it cannot even be assessed close to accurately with the amount of penalties we had.

We were actually able to run the ball a little bit.

But no momentum or continuity could be achieved with the amount of penalties that were being assessed to us continually.

Sorry but you guys really need to learn to watch the game and understand the contributing factors that affect the offense.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Put him in a more advanced offense and see how he does. Dak isn't a Brady or Montana and will never be one. Put Cooper Rush out there and you will get the same results.
He’s played too. Compare the stats to make your claim. I’ll listen. Just tired of the nonsense. Make your claim and back it with facts.

Swagger

Reaction score
The lack of production in the run game and mobility by Prescott will be felt against better teams as it will result in drives stalling. Got away with it last night mainly due to a couple of big drops by Robinson and him failing to high point a ball for a possible touchdown to win the game.

khiladi

Reaction score
He’s played too. Compare the stats to make your claim. I’ll listen. Just tired of the nonsense. Make your claim and back it with facts.
Actually, it’s not the “same offense”. Dallas was intentionally playing conservative those games and Rush was more than able to put up points in the second half when they needed to move the ball downfield. And he was 5-1 with the same personnel and a noodle arm. Dak fanboys during his 4 game win stretch were sweating on this forum and they were saying as an excuse that Moore needs to run the “same offense” that he’s running with Rush, after Dak scrubbed against Tampa and they were proclaiming the season over

They also dumbed down the offense for Dak after he led the league in INTs in 10 games. They had him bail pocket early in his reads. That’s what the whole “Texas West Coast” hoopla was about and the plays were being called in early in the play count with Dallas trying to take advantage of personnel matchups. They were trying to give Dak a lot of time to make decisions, preferably early and to move through his options quickly if the defensive look wasn’t right.

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
8 of those TDs came against the Commanders, the 32nd ranked pass defense, by then had already traded their 2 best players and one of them, they were out of playoff contention and Dak didn’t even need to play. And the Cowboys defenses generated 5 TOs in those games to give them good field position.
So which was it? The great cowboys d or the bad commanders D? And doesn’t every QB play against bad teams? Have you looked at that or no? Did you subtract Mahomes or Burrows games vs San Diego and Baltimore when evaluating them? Does anyone do that?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Actually, it’s not the “same offense”. Dallas was intentionally playing conservative those games and Rush was more than able to put up points in the second half when they needed to move the ball downfield. And he was 5-1 with the same personnel and a noodle arm. Dak fanboys during his 4 game win stretch were sweating on this forum and they were saying as an excuse that Moore needs to run the “same offense” that he’s running with Rush, after Dak scrubbed against Tampa and they were proclaiming the season over

They also dumbed down the offense for Dak after he led the league in INTs in 10 games. They had him bail pocket early in his reads.
What are the numbers. Compare the numbers. Not your opinion of something like they were playing conservative. Because how do you really define that and how do you know they don’t do that (if true) because he’s not that good and needs a more conservative approach?

And if they dumbed it down for Dak former that mean he could’ve had more production too? Just like In your Cooper scenario that you’ve created?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Must be boring knowing you have to practice the curl routes every practice I'm so tired of seeing it!! Can we change it up maybe a stop and go, fade or something my gosh