Twitter: Offensive coaching staff likely staying

jnday

Reaction score
You tell the coach which current staff members you think are quality and let him interview them if he wants along with other outside guys he might want. Make his own decisions on his own staff.

Anything else is meddling, forcing, and undermining.
Exactly. How can a coach do his job if he is forced to work with people that he doesn’t know? They won’t know his system or anything about what the HC wants from his staff or expects from them. Dallas is the only team that immediately limits the HC from having success. It is well known that McCarthy has his own staff that he wants to bring to his next HC job and it is not unreasonable for him want his own staff since he will be evaluated by how good of a job that his staff is doing. This has gone on for much too long. Jerry makes it impossible for this team to succeed. Jerry also makes it impossible to be an enthusiastic fan.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's hilarious watching homers try to defend the owner forcing assistants he likes on the new HC.

Any competent search would involve hiring the best HC one can find and then letting that HC decide on his staff, which could and should include interviewing existing coaches on staff. But that's it.

Anyone arguing that it's perfectly normal and fair and correct to force existing coaching staff members on a new HC is being silly. It also is an example of the dysfunction that exists in this franchise, where the owner basically decides who the HC can and can't hire on his own staff.

Lets hope this is just internet hysteria and rumor and not what is really happening behind the scenes.

Their spin is that it's "not forcing", it's merely "strongly suggesting". As if you can go into a job interview and the person hiring you asks you to do something, you say no and expect to get the job anyway, because that's how life works.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is more media speculation - much of which really isn't even speculation in the sense that there is even a shred of fact to support the speculation.

Is it possible some of the offensive staff remains? Sure it's possible.

Is it possible a media source is throwing this out to suck consumers into it's product? Sure, that's just as possible. And, fans never disappoint - they are always sucked in.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My own view is whomever the HC ends up being I think he should bring in the assistant coaches he wants and if that includes any coaches on the current staff fine but my view HC needs to be able to have coaches he knows and trust 100%

jnday

Reaction score
It means things are still as screwed up as they have been.
What is the point of changing coaches if the new coach has to follow the same rules as the last coach that was unsuccessful? Things will remain screwed up until Jerry is gone because he refuses to change. I will go ahead and say it, Garrett should have never been let go if the Jones rules are still in place. There is no reason to get excited about hiring a new coach because nothing is changing. No decent coach will come to Dallas when the situation is set up for them to fail. I don’t see how anybody can remain a passionate fan under these circumstances. This is really no surprise, but I think I would have enough common sense to see that my way is a failure if I was in Jerry’s position.SMDH

LittleD

Reaction score
Wait, so if Moore is still the OC does that mean my dream of seeing a different offensive playbook will not come to pass?

From what I saw this season, Moore is just warmed over "Linehan" in sheeps clothing. He has a lot to learn about how to win against great defensive teams.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Exactly. How can a coach do his job if he is forced to work with people that he doesn’t know? They won’t know his system or anything about what the HC wants from his staff or expects from them. Dallas is the only team that immediately limits the HC from having success. It is well known that McCarthy has his own staff that he wants to bring to his next HC job and it is not unreasonable for him want his own staff since he will be evaluated by how good of a job that his staff is doing. This has gone on for much too long. Jerry makes it impossible for this team to succeed. Jerry also makes it impossible to be an enthusiastic fan.

Its about loyalty, hierarchy, and team concept. Cant have a guy you didn't hire working the other side of the ball. You need guys loyal to you that are thankful that you hired them and are subordinate.

StylisticS

Reaction score
shan sharrif is on the radio here saying he has been told a couple of times that sanjay lal and amari cooper do not like each other and the reason for cooper being on the sideline a bunch is because of lal......he said he can't believe the offensive assistants are coming back.
If that is the case, Amari needs to do what he needs to do and tell them he is going to test free agency.

TheTruthIsOutThere

Reaction score
I guess Jerry bought into the empty numbers and thinks the offense was good which it wasn't when it mattered.

quickccc

Reaction score
It’s Slater so it’s probably not true but...

- there's already conflicting reports of who McCarthy is wanting as his assistants. Some are saying the WR, TE and RB coaches will be replaced with MM's handpicked group
while others are saying Brown will be kept along with Columbo, Kitna, and Kellen Moore.

- also hearing Keith O' Quinn could be moved to the scouting department

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
whining? You meaning making an accurate point? None of these guys have coached in McCarthy's offense which goes back to Paul Hackett's variation of Bill Walsh's offense.

So how is this the best use of that offense.

to your second point, most of his guys are available.

Tom Clements his long time assistant in Green Bay is simply a qb coach in arizona.
Alex Van Pelt - another long time assistant is simply a qb coach in Cincinnati
Ben McAdoo - spent a decade with him is unemployed.
James Campen - long time O-line coach with him is the O line coach in Cleveland - New coach could fire him.
Jerry Fontenot his long time Tight ends coach is the head coach of LA's XFL team. I bet he would come to Dallas with him.
Joe Philbin - Long time mccarthy assistant - unemployed
Sam Gash - former Rb's coach in GB - currently unemployed
Zook - Former st coach and currently available

so explain to me how I am whining. When you hire a coach you are hiring him to change the program/culture/scheme. The best way to do that is to have him bring his coaches with him to speed up the process and so that everyone is on the same page. Tom Clements has been his right hand man, McAdoo and Philbin have been head coaches. If you are hiring someone you should do everything you can to help him succeed.

When Parcells came to Dallas he couldn't get any of his coaches out of contracts to come here and most were happy in new england. that meant on top of fixing the day to day operations, finding talent, handling all things media and actually coaching the players he had to coach the coaches because they had not worked with him before. When he went to new england his guys went with him, the jets, his guys went with him and that is how you do it.

Offering the job to McCarthy but telling him he cannot bring his offensive staff with him who are all pretty much available is insane.
ROFL. From whining to ranting.

No report out says any staff was forced on McCarthy or anyone else.
Any staff discussion would likely include, these are guys under contract that we like.

As to the rest, you want a staff of guys 65+ or guys who were just awful?????
Age next season: plus data.
Clements - 67
McAdoo - 42 Was a TE Coach in GB with 1 year as QB Coach. Might be a good TE coach if he would fall back to that role. Was truly awful however in New York.
Campen -- 55 unavailable at this second. Might be good OL Coach option though.
Fontenot -- 53 unavailable but possible. TE Coach only.
Philben -- 58. Very possible he gets added to MM staff. Not exactly great in Miami but who has been.
Gash -- was employed as a coach only 3 seasons. Thats a severe reach and we have a far better RB coach in place currently.
Zook -- 66. Are you suggesting Dallas forced a ST coach on MM? LOL.

I see 2 guys above I'd try to hire.
Philben if he wanted back in as some type of asst head coach/ QB Coach combo and Fontenot to coach TEs.
Campen I think underachieved in CLE and I'd prefer Columbo.
Gash had a short NFL spell and is out of NFL coaching. No way he's better than what we have in place.
Zook I'd be fine with I guess but not sure I wanna hire a bunch of guys 65+. We def need a ST coach from outside the org.

HC MM
OC Kellen
QB or WR plus possible AHC Philben
OL Columbo
TE Fontenot
RB Brown
WR -- someone new. route running improved under Lal but wayyyy too many drops.

End of day we finally got what we all wanted -- Garrett gone,. and dudes can't even take one day to celebrate and not complain... good lord.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I guess Jerry bought into the empty numbers and thinks the offense was good which it wasn't when it mattered.
Yeah only some on here that try to pump up Vanilla Ice as the qb of the future think this offense is some awesome unit. Against playoff type teams they had 2 out of 7 decent offensive showings

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
- there's already conflicting reports of who McCarthy is wanting as his assistants. Some are saying the WR, TE and RB coaches will be replaced with MM's handpicked group
while others are saying Brown will be kept along with Columbo, Kitna, and Kellen Moore.

- also hearing Keith O' Quinn could be moved to the scouting department
The KOQ thing supposedly already happened
And if he isn't part of coaching staff would make sense.
Allows him to keep living in Dallas and earn a paycheck plus who was hiring him to run special teams after last year??

Bigtommyb

Reaction score
We need a new beginning. More of the same won't do.

Bring in Troy Aikman as GM and let him build a team. You want a Cowboy to lead us to the next SB? Well. There he is.

Just because he was an ex player doesn't mean automatically he would be a great GM. Look around building the team hasn't been the problem. Talent is here. So I loved him as player but I'm not excited with him as a GM. Jerry is Gm and that's not changing PERIOD!.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Just because he was an ex player doesn't mean automatically he would be a great GM. Look around building the team hasn't been the problem. Talent is here. So I loved him as player but I'm not excited with him as a GM. Jerry is Gm and that's not changing PERIOD!.

Aikman loves Mike McCarthy. just said it on the fan. He said they need to allow him to be the coach and the guys come to him.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Why would not McCarthy not pick his own staff . Jerry is so stupid and hard headed .

DEA_dad

Reaction score
If you think Slater is inaccurate you might be on drugs.
She's as good as it gets.
I am on drugs but she’s been very hit or miss lately, I know it’s not an exact science though. No one is right 100% of the time in sports reporting