Twitter: Offensive coaching staff likely staying

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
A year ago Sean McVay was the darling of the NFL and Dallas has a smarter version of him in Kellen Moore. You don't toss that away because you finished 8-8 in a season where you had 11-5 talent. They aren't going to force him on the new HC either, but it would be dumb to throw the baby out of with the bathwater.

If your serious about winning or starting anew, you let the new coach decide if he wants to retain the old staff.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I'm trying to think of anyone that's gone on from here for the better after they've coached here. Since the Jimmy days. Typically, it's either a demotion or never being heard from again isn't it?

Not really, most have stayed involved with football in some capacity, Only Chan Gailey got another coaching gig:

Switzer never coached again

Chan Gailey was the most successful, he head coached at Georgia Tech & Buffalo, also OC'd at the Dolphins, Chiefs, Jets and the Dolphins again next season

Campo coached at the U of Kansas and is now a "consultant" at USC

Bill Parcells had a stint with the dolphins in some capacity and is currently a courtesy consultant with the Clevland Browns

Wade Phillips DC'd at Denver & now LA

Garrett: TBD (I feel like he'll never coach in the NFL again, curious to see how this plays out)

Did I forget anyone?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The “hand held” thing with Riley is a complete figment of your imagination. There’s nothing to suggest he’s not ready for the job.

Yeah? How did Riley's defense do last time out? Record setting is the term I heard.

Pairing any head coach with a veteran defensive coordinator like Lewis is a good idea.

Certainly if it fits your agenda.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I have a bigger issue with morons who think not having access to every assistant you'd want means you must be strong armed into having your staff dictated for you.

But that's just me.

You have bigger issues for sure.

But yeah, let's fire guys under contract so a new guy has fewer options.

That's not strong arming, it is not being an idiot.

Don't expect you to get the difference.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not really, most have stayed involved with football in some capacity, Only Chan Gailey got another coaching gig:

Switzer never coached again

Chan Gailey was the most successful, he head coached at Georgia Tech & Buffalo, also OC'd at the Dolphins, Chiefs, Jets and the Dolphins again next season

Campo coached at the U of Kansas and is now a "consultant" at USC

Bill Parcells had a stint with the dolphins in some capacity and is currently a courtesy consultant with the Clevland Browns

Wade Phillips DC'd at Denver & now LA

Garrett: TBD (I feel like he'll never coach in the NFL again, curious to see how this plays out)

Did I forget anyone?

A few coordinators for good measure, like Garrett's brother, or Rob Ryan, or Monte Kiffin, and Scott Linehan. Anyone gone on to 'bigger and better things'? Non existent that I can remember. This is where careers come to die.

pansophy

Reaction score
Makes sense if you’ve been paying attention.
Offense was solid this year. Moore will be better. A lot of bad execution by players stalled drives. Biggest reason is that Dak looks to have turned the corner and we are about to commit to him long term. Doesn’t seem like the greatest time to change the offense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Offense was solid this year. Moore will be better. A lot of bad execution by players stalled drives. Biggest reason is that Dak looks to have turned the corner and we are about to commit to him long term. Doesn’t seem like the greatest time to change the offense.

Who's decision should that be?

BigWillie

Reaction score
"I'll draft the players you have to coach. I'll sign the players you have to coach. I'll make any roster move for any players you have to coach. I'll pick the assistant coaches you must have on staff. And when you don't succeed in 3-4 years, I'll fire you and blame you for everything bad that has happened."

tenor.gif

pansophy

Reaction score
Who's decision should that be?
Sure, but that is lower on my list of things I would want Jerry to give up.

#1. Stop trying to win like we did in the 90’s by having better talent than everyone else. Salary cap is designed exactly to eliminate that so the only way to do it is by paying for top talent and filling in gaps with high risk reward players who come cheaply. Problem is ever year several of those guys don’t see the field because of behavior, drugs, or injury and the guys behind them are substandard. We everyone is healthy and available we always look like world beaters and then a few guys go out and we can’t win anymore.

#2. Stop hiring coaches who don’t scheme and expect to win by great execution because the underlying assumption of that working is that better talent creates the advantage, which brings us back to point #1.

Sure #3 would be to get out of the way entirely and let the coach set the culture and hold guys accountable. Ultimately though everyone is accountable to the GM and owner. I could live with #3 if he’d stop the first 2.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If your serious about winning or starting anew, you let the new coach decide if he wants to retain the old staff.

Of course but Moore and Columbo are still under contract. Is the team supposed to fire them so the new HC has a completely blank slate? Or should the team tell the new HC they did a good job last year in their first year on the job, with potential to do better?

People are assuming Jerry is drunk and barking in interviews that Moore has to stay. In reality its just one of many parts of a discussion.

clff15701

Reaction score
Jerry just doesnt care at this point. Hes going to keep doing things his way.

clff15701

Reaction score
Of course but Moore and Columbo are still under contract. Is the team supposed to fire them so the new HC has a completely blank slate? Or should the team tell the new HC they did a good job last year in their first year on the job, with potential to do better?

People are assuming Jerry is drunk and barking in interviews that Moore has to stay. In reality its just one of many parts of a discussion.

Yes he eats Player contracts all the time. Eating a coach contract shouldnt be a big deal. The man acts like hes broke.

sideon

Reaction score
A year ago Sean McVay was the darling of the NFL and Dallas has a smarter version of him in Kellen Moore. You don't toss that away because you finished 8-8 in a season where you had 11-5 talent. They aren't going to force him on the new HC either, but it would be dumb to throw the baby out of with the bathwater.
How is Moore a smarter version of McVay?:huh:

khiladi

Reaction score
Why are people hating on Moore now? Weren’t they saying Garrett was forcing the playbook on him?

Kaiser

Reaction score
How is Moore a smarter version of McVay?:huh:

Moore had first year issues and Dallas still had a top five offense this year. Compare that to McVay's first year as OC when the Commanders were one of the lowest scoring teams in the NFL. Moore has been called a football genius since he was in High School. Dak has called him that as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nothing would shock me with the jones family.

if we end up with co head coaches who give simultaneous press conferences everyday at the same time on different ends of the same room I still wouldn't be surprised.

I think we end up with the ebony and ivory of futility. A duo of two failed head coaches, McCarthy to supposedly 'fix' the offense, with an outdated scheme that even Aaron Rodgers couldn't make work anymore, and Lewis to supposedly 'fix' the defense. I bet they'll agree to anything to get back in the league and make a nice payday that Jerry will inevitably pay.