Twitter: Offensive coaching staff likely staying

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"I'll draft the players you have to coach. I'll sign the players you have to coach. I'll make any roster move for any players you have to coach. I'll pick the assistant coaches you must have on staff. And when you don't succeed in 3-4 years, I'll fire you and blame you for everything bad that has happened."

tenor.gif

Yep sounds about right......

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Yeah? How did Riley's defense do last time out? Record setting is the term I heard.

If that's what you believe about him, what's the issue with pairing him with an established defensive mind?

Certainly if it fits your agenda.

The agenda is to have a strong defense. Lewis is a great defensive mind.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
No shock.

Jerry has a new Garrett in Moore.

Let's do it all over again. Why not.
Yup, said that the other day - we'll know right away about the new HC - if he keeps Moore, then its Groundhog Day all over again.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Points hard to Marvin Lewis then. Just get a defense first coach who will let someone else handle the offense. If McCarthy is OK with this, he is just flat out desperate.

Good Lord, if Marvin freaking Lewis is named head coach...………...just no words...……..0-7 career playoff record

HC/DC Lewis
OC Moore

tenor.gif

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
A year ago Sean McVay was the darling of the NFL and Dallas has a smarter version of him in Kellen Moore. You don't toss that away because you finished 8-8 in a season where you had 11-5 talent. They aren't going to force him on the new HC either, but it would be dumb to throw the baby out of with the bathwater.
Says who.....Jerry.
I didn't see much this year to make me think Moore is the next great offensive mind.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I'm trying to think of anyone that's gone on from here for the better after they've coached here. Since the Jimmy days. Typically, it's either a demotion or never being heard from again isn't it?

Only two guys who ever were on staff here and left and had success were Sean Payton and Mike Zimmer.

Cant think of anybody else that was previously on staff and had success anywhere.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As soon as you thought things were looking up, we get slapped into remembering this team is run by two morons who will never relinquish control to a coach

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Except they aren’t even remotely comparable. Riley is an actual offensive play calling savant and has been to the college playoffs 3 years in a row for a major program. He also has tailored his offense to 3 different types of QBs while doing it. Jason Garrett had no real experience calling plays and no experience leading a team on his own.

If Lincoln Riley was your run of the mill coach, this wouldn’t even be up for discussion. His scheme is legit and he would turn Prescott into a top 3 QB. If that means pulling someone like Lewis in at DC, so be it.

His offensive mind is off the charts, I saw a tweet from Chris Mortenson and he said that "virtually every team in the NFL sends guys to Norman to learn from Riley".

Think Sean McVeigh on steroids just drawing up plays nobody has ever seen run before.

But yeah, you better have a dam good DC on staff because Riley knows as much about defense as you and me. That is why OU wins games 48-42 on a fairly regular basis. He is like, "ok defense, we just need one stop this game, just one. You can give up a TD on every other drive, I just need one stop".

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Says who.....Jerry.
I didn't see much this year to make me think Moore is the next great offensive mind.

If it's true they are indeed trying to push some offensive coaches during it's driven by a couple of issues IMO. First, Jones never likes paying off contracts w/o getting value, second, they could also feel it easier to keep at least a couple coaches close to Dak who can a good mediator between him and his head coach.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Same old crap.

Unreal, but I don't know what anyone expected.

I posted something years ago here about how he refuses to eat contracts of assistants.

He simply will not do it. They all work for him so everyone should get along.

Also so he can have "his guys" on the new staff to be his eyes and ears.

It's a terrible and dysfunctional organization and he created it. It's not changing because Garrett left. We are simply getting a new Garrett.
:hammer::clap:

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I guess that we can scratch Matt Rhule off the list. He wants full control of his staff and influence in personnel.

cern

Reaction score
That decision should be the purview of the next HC. I like sanjay lal. The rest, not so much.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
A year ago Sean McVay was the darling of the NFL and Dallas has a smarter version of him in Kellen Moore. You don't toss that away because you finished 8-8 in a season where you had 11-5 talent. They aren't going to force him on the new HC either, but it would be dumb to throw the baby out of with the bathwater.
That is if you think there is value in Moore. With the exception of one or two games, I didn't see anything special, actually more of the same.
I do agree about letting new coach take a look at them but in no way influence them to keep them.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like they are of the mind that they are grooming Moore in the long run....just spec on my part.

Oneiros

Reaction score
Seems like they are of the mind that they are grooming Moore in the long run....just spec on my part.
Speculation yes, but given the history it likely isn't far from the truth.

I'd love to see someone like Riley here and see what he can do with Dak since he's likely to be around for a while. That being said though we'd need a darn good DC.

fivetwos

Reaction score
we did that, and failed ooo lets do it again.
That's what this entire organization has been about and will be about until the owner is in a box...and quite possibly after.

It's very possible us older folks have had our day, and that's that.