Offensive - PPG Will Rise In 2019

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
I personally believe we are about to see a nice shift in Offensive Output here in 2019. Here is my thought process why !

Cowboys Offensive Output Past 3 Years:

2016 - 26.3 PPG Avg Regular Season 13-3 Zeke 15 TD'S --- 4 Receiving Threats - Dez, Witten, Beasly, Williams

2017 - 22.1 PPG Avg Regular Season 9-7 Zeke ( 10 Games Only ) 7 TD'S - 4 Receiving Threats - Dez, Witten, Beasly, Williams

2018 - 21.2 PPG Avg Regular Season 10-6 Zeke 6 TD'S - Zeke, Cooper , Gallup , Beasly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how our 2019 opponents ended 2018 Ranked Via PPG Allowed Defensively:

Bears: #1 PPG Allowed - 17.7 - They gonna be good

Cowboys #6 PPG Allowed - 20.2 ----- Well Wanted to Show where we stood in comparison !

Pats #7 PPG Allowed - 20.3 - Belichek always gonna be a tough game just the way it is

Vikings #9 PPG Allowed - 21.3 - I expect a tough D

Eagles #12 PPG Allowed - 21.8 - Division games always on edge of seat

Saints #14 - PPG Allowed - 22.1 - tough game in NO

Commanders #16 - PPG Allowed - 22.4 - I personally expect them to be better but they are the Commanders

Lions #16 - PPG Allowed - 22.5

Bills #18 - PPG Allowed - 23.4

Rams #20 - PPG Allowed - 24 - I think they will remain the same personally

Packers #22 - PPG Allowed - 25 ---- After Draft and Free Agency I expect to be better But new coach so who knows

Giants #23 - PPG Allowed - 25.8 ---- Rebuilding We should score points

Dolphins #27 - PPG Allowed - 27.1 - I expect them to be same or worse

Jets #29 - PPG Allowed - 27.6 -- I expect them to be better as well but new coach and all who knows

Of course some of these teams have done a lot to improve defensively or think they have since last year so of course this is very subjective and hard to predict especially since there are bound to be some key losses for teams to Injury or just things not coming together as expected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cowboys Positives Going Into to 2019 which lead me to my conclusion:

Offensive Line is Deep and Frederick Coming back hopefully !!!!! WOW our run game is gonna be a nightmare for defenses to handle - as long as Zeke does not get a suspension for that incident i fully expect his TD totals to rise drastically this upcoming year i am thinking 12-15 TD's somewhere in that range from rushing he may even add in a couple more receiving since his catches went up dramatically to 77 receptions in 2018 that was good for 3 TD's..... His receptions in comparison 2016 - 32 and in 2017 - 26 ---- big jump the year Witten was gone. Add to that what Pollard could bring to the table IF USED suffice it to say i am excited.

Receiving Corp far better & add to that more familiarity with - Cooper , Gallup , Cobb , Zeke , Austin ( Stays Healthy ) , Pollard ( if used right ) , Witten and Rest of TE's ( This will be interesting to see if the TE guys eat away at Zeke's Receptions - Not to mention the stand outs we are hearing so much about in camp ! with the O-Line firing on all cylinders and the run game causing headaches defenses will need to pick there poison sort to speak. Our passing game should benefit .

Kellen Moore adding in wrinkles to disguise and scheme our players open more efficiently is also gonna add to the headaches defensive coordinators will have game planning for this O. For sure there will be some growing pains i am sure this season but overall it should be a positive

And Finally our Defense:

Wish we had Gregory to start the season but OK I like the look of young hungry swarming, aggressive defense - adding Hill oh and did i mention my excitement to see Lee ( I for one am so happy he is back dude is so smart he will worth having here IMO ) , LVE, and Smith out there together when it happens is gonna be awesome to watch. They were fun to watch last year and hopefully will build on that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Conclusion I personally feel we will be looking at somewhere in the range of 25 - 27 PPG on offense this year for about a 3-5 point Increase over the previous 2 years & being more in line with our 2016 campaign. I doubt that will translate to a 13-3 record like that year since we do have some tough games this year ! but there are some others that may in fact not turn out to be as hard as expected BUT of course this is the NFL.

Games i really hope we win outside of the division in order of my hatred LOL because this will tell the tale if this team is ready to take the next step :

Packers #1
@Pats #2
@Saints #3
@Rams #4
@Bears #5 -- I don't hate them like i do the above teams -- just a good measuring stick LOL

Your Thoughts ? How many points per game do you think we will average in 2019 ?

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Offensive Line is Deep and Frederick Coming back hopefully !!!!! WOW our run game is gonna be a nightmare for defenses to handle - as long as Zeke does not get a suspension for that incident i fully expect his TD totals to rise drastically this upcoming year i am thinking 12-15 TD's somewhere in that range from rushing he may even add in a couple more receiving since his catches went up dramatically to 77 receptions in 2018 that was good for 3 TD's..... His receptions in comparison 2016 - 32 and in 2017 - 26 ---- big jump the year Witten was gone. Add to that what Pollard could bring to the table IF USED suffice it to say i am excited.

Receiving Corp far better & add to that more familiarity with - Cooper , Gallup , Cobb , Zeke , Austin ( Stays Healthy ) , Pollard ( if used right ) , Witten and Rest of TE's ( This will be interesting to see if the TE guys eat away at Zeke's Receptions - Not to mention the stand outs we are hearing so much about in camp ! with the O-Line firing on all cylinders and the run game causing headaches defenses will need to pick there poison sort to speak. Our passing game should benefit .

Kellen Moore adding in wrinkles to disguise and scheme our players open more efficiently is also gonna add to the headaches defensive coordinators will have game planning for this O. For sure there will be some growing pains i am sure this season but overall it should be a positive

The biggest positive for the offense this year - No Mo Linehan. Moore just has to be not awful to be a big improvement over Linehan.

And yeah, the oline is looking like a monster. I really hope McGovern is fully healthy for camp.

All the stars are aligned to make Moore look like the Football Genius he is reputed to be.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Wow Zeke had 15 touchdowns as a rookie. We must have had a real redzone receiving threat back then. Having someone else to keep an eye on can open the door for the guy they're supposed to be keeping an eye on.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Wow Zeke had 15 touchdowns as a rookie. We must have had a real redzone receiving threat back then. Having someone else to keep an eye on can open the door for the guy they're supposed to be keeping an eye on.

We had a great Oline and he simply rolled it in.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
His rookie year we actually ran him in the redzone. Seems like the past 2 years (6 game suspension also) we haven't ran him as much in the redzone. Dak is really good running down there as well......I know you don't want your QB running the ball like that but Dak is like a running back in those situations.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I agree that we certainly should score more this year. But let's also understand how putrid our ppg has been 2 of the last 3 years. In this era, you really should be in the 26-28 ppg range if you are a real contender. 3 teams were over 30 last year. If we made the plays that were available last year we would have been in the high 20's at least. I think we are a better team this year so I don't see any reason we can't be around 30 ppg. If Dak has truly improved & efficiently gets the ball into the hands of our playmakers, the league could be in for a rude awakening.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We have to turn it all the way up this year. I am hoping that Moore saves a wrinkle or 2 for the playoffs but other than that. Get this team cranked up. All signs point to a better team. Which is why I didn’t mind if we went ahead and signed Dak. All these things are going to make Dak look much improved. Likely driving his value higher.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
His rookie year we actually ran him in the redzone. Seems like the past 2 years (6 game suspension also) we haven't ran him as much in the redzone. Dak is really good running down there as well......I know you don't want your QB running the ball like that but Dak is like a running back in those situations.

As long as they're running the ball in the red zone and scoring tds, I don't care if the water boy is sneaking into the game and doing it...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I personally believe we are about to see a nice shift in Offensive Output here in 2019. Here is my thought process why !

Cowboys Offensive Output Past 3 Years:

2016 - 26.3 PPG Avg Regular Season 13-3 Zeke 15 TD'S --- 4 Receiving Threats - Dez, Witten, Beasly, Williams

2017 - 22.1 PPG Avg Regular Season 9-7 Zeke ( 10 Games Only ) 7 TD'S - 4 Receiving Threats - Dez, Witten, Beasly, Williams

2018 - 21.2 PPG Avg Regular Season 10-6 Zeke 6 TD'S - Zeke, Cooper , Gallup , Beasly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how our 2019 opponents ended 2018 Ranked Via PPG Allowed Defensively:

Bears: #1 PPG Allowed - 17.7 - They gonna be good

Cowboys #6 PPG Allowed - 20.2 ----- Well Wanted to Show where we stood in comparison !

Pats #7 PPG Allowed - 20.3 - Belichek always gonna be a tough game just the way it is

Vikings #9 PPG Allowed - 21.3 - I expect a tough D

Eagles #12 PPG Allowed - 21.8 - Division games always on edge of seat

Saints #14 - PPG Allowed - 22.1 - tough game in NO

Commanders #16 - PPG Allowed - 22.4 - I personally expect them to be better but they are the Commanders

Lions #16 - PPG Allowed - 22.5

Bills #18 - PPG Allowed - 23.4

Rams #20 - PPG Allowed - 24 - I think they will remain the same personally

Packers #22 - PPG Allowed - 25 ---- After Draft and Free Agency I expect to be better But new coach so who knows

Giants #23 - PPG Allowed - 25.8 ---- Rebuilding We should score points

Dolphins #27 - PPG Allowed - 27.1 - I expect them to be same or worse

Jets #29 - PPG Allowed - 27.6 -- I expect them to be better as well but new coach and all who knows

Of course some of these teams have done a lot to improve defensively or think they have since last year so of course this is very subjective and hard to predict especially since there are bound to be some key losses for teams to Injury or just things not coming together as expected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Finally our Defense:

Wish we had Gregory to start the season but OK I like the look of young hungry swarming, aggressive defense - adding Hill oh and did i mention my excitement to see Lee ( I for one am so happy he is back dude is so smart he will worth having here IMO ) , LVE, and Smith out there together when it happens is gonna be awesome to watch. They were fun to watch last year and hopefully will build on that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Conclusion I personally feel we will be looking at somewhere in the range of 25 - 27 PPG on offense this year for about a 3-5 point Increase over the previous 2 years & being more in line with our 2016 campaign. I doubt that will translate to a 13-3 record like that year since we do have some tough games this year ! but there are some others that may in fact not turn out to be as hard as expected BUT of course this is the NFL.

Games i really hope we win outside of the division in order of my hatred LOL because this will tell the tale if this team is ready to take the next step :

Packers #1
@Pats #2
@Saints #3
@Rams #4
@Bears #5 -- I don't hate them like i do the above teams -- just a good measuring stick LOL

Your Thoughts ? How many points per game do you think we will average in 2019 ?

Differential PPG is all that matters.

If a team has a defense that requires the offense to score 30 PPG (on average) to win that offense will score more points than the same offense would if their defense only required them to score 20 PPG.

Head Coaches and most QBs will naturally become more conservative once they are ahead on the scoreboard. Obviously that does not start in the 1st quarter but the conservative approach is tied to points differential and that changes as the game progresses. A team might go conservative with a 21 point lead in the 2nd quarter but it might only require a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter for that team to become conservative.

Regardless of the specifics, the "need' for points in a game does affect the final points total by the offense on average over a full season.

glimmerman

Reaction score
NO!

Sick and tired of the "now he's here, now he's not, now he's hurt, now he's suspended, now he's getting sacks, now he's not" mess,

Wish he'd just quit the NFL and get his life straight, don't want him on the Cowboys...
I don’t think you will have to worry about the only hope that JJ has of having him on the field is if the NFL starts making exemptions on the pot rules. He apparently didn’t fail a test but missed one and it counts as the same thing. He is suspended indefinately for the second time. He will be 5 or 7 years in the NFL before he plays a full season. Lol.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
NO!

Sick and tired of the "now he's here, now he's not, now he's hurt, now he's suspended, now he's getting sacks, now he's not" mess,

Wish he'd just quit the NFL and get his life straight, don't want him on the Cowboys...
Trust me i am tired of that also but it would still be nice if he had straightened the ship but i hear ya

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
This is very true interesting stat is Dak has rushed for 6 TD's Every Year :thumbup:

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
We have to turn it all the way up this year. I am hoping that Moore saves a wrinkle or 2 for the playoffs but other than that. Get this team cranked up. All signs point to a better team. Which is why I didn’t mind if we went ahead and signed Dak. All these things are going to make Dak look much improved. Likely driving his value higher.

This is where Garret Needs to step up for sure ! Playoffs

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Differential PPG is all that matters.

If a team has a defense that requires the offense to score 30 PPG (on average) to win that offense will score more points than the same offense would if their defense only required them to score 20 PPG.

Head Coaches and most QBs will naturally become more conservative once they are ahead on the scoreboard. Obviously that does not start in the 1st quarter but the conservative approach is tied to points differential and that changes as the game progresses. A team might go conservative with a 21 point lead in the 2nd quarter but it might only require a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter for that team to become conservative.

Regardless of the specifics, the "need' for points in a game does affect the final points total by the offense on average over a full season.
Yup this is all very true i do think we will be better this year in Differential --- BUT then again we do face some tough QB's this year and some high powered offenses !Being able to possibly win a shootout might be the difference

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
The biggest positive for the offense this year - No Mo Linehan. Moore just has to be not awful to be a big improvement over Linehan.

And yeah, the oline is looking like a monster. I really hope McGovern is fully healthy for camp.

All the stars are aligned to make Moore look like the Football Genius he is reputed to be.
I agree moving on from Linehan should be a refreshing change when your players are talking about how predictable you are that is never a good thing LOL