RELEASED Official Cowboy Cuts Discussion Thread

Sydla

Reaction score
Sydia, we often agree and at times disagree. Garrett and our backfield coach love Heath. No one has been able to beat him out cause he makes plays and
gets turnovers. He's going to start the season again this year as Jerry calls the shots and Heath is still standing. Have some patience with the guy.

Oh he's going to start because there really is zero competition for him unless Wilson continues to impress and they have no choice but to get him on the field.

Heath has been here years, so why would we need patience with him? He's not going to get better. He is what he is............ a backup S who is a really good special teams guy. I don't want him off the Cowboys. I want him in his role and not the starting SS where he graded out as a bottom half of the league SS.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He's really not a play maker, by any rational or logical measure. No one outside of the Heath fanboys call him that. He's been heavily criticized by multiple analyses such as Football Outsiders, etc.

They had a discussion about Heath a few months ago on NFL network and they were calling him playmaker. Jerry, Garrett and Broaddus have called him a playmaker. You’re probably one of those who were on the IIoka bandwagon. Lol

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So two running backs and a fullback?

One hasn’t even signed

That's what I was predicting. No reason to keep Chunn and Weber on the 53 over someone we'd lose on waivers. We'll be able to get one or both of them back for the practice squad.

Altestic

Reaction score
Oh he's going to start because there really is zero competition for him unless Wilson continues to impress and they have no choice but to get him on the field.

Heath has been here years, so why would we need patience with him? He's not going to get better. He is what he is............ a backup S who is a really good special teams guy. I don't want him off the Cowboys. I want him in his role and not the starting SS where he graded out as a bottom half of the league SS.
Wilson is tremendous competition for him. They can't keep this stud off the field. Wilson is a potential future pro bowler in the making.

Altestic

Reaction score
I think his speed is the issue. I agree that he earned a spot, though. Wise is the head scratcher for me.
Richard Sherman had the exact same speed, upside, ball hawking ability, and haircut.

Meanwhile Byron Jones can't get an interception if it stared him in the face.

Altestic

Reaction score
Per Bobby Belt, they supposedly went light on offense except at OL. So with Devin Smith making it as WR #5, maybe Wilson did not...
OL? How many did they keep? Jeez... hope no JAGs. Maybe McGovern made it after all?

Altestic

Reaction score
I thought he had too. Every cut down, there are always 2 or 3 players that are cut that I think a lot of people scratch their heads over. Olumba and Wise are 2 of those for me.
the year they kept JJ Wilcox was a head scratcher for sure, but they didn't really have enough depth to justify cutting him back then... this year is a lot different.

Sydla

Reaction score
They had a discussion about Heath a few months ago on NFL network and they were all calling him playmaker. You’re probably one of those who were on the IIoka bandwagon. Lol

Who called him a playmaker?

Writing the Cowboys' biggest hole piece is one of the easiest jobs we have here at Football Outsiders. We have now used that opening paragraph in three straight seasons, and it still rings true -- the Cowboys' defensive backfield has needed major help for years. The good news for Cowboys fans is that 2018 saw Dallas take several strides to fixing their eternal secondary issues. Byron Jones moved back to corner, which better fits his skill set, and sophomore Xavier Woods represents a new day at free safety. That's half the starting secondary sorted, meaning they just need to fix the other half.

Jeff Heath can not tackle. We noted last year in this space that Heath had more missed tackles (11) than defeats (six). The problem got worse in 2018, as Heath's 22 broken tackles were the second-most allowed in the league. Heath just isn't a starting-caliber strong safety; he's a quality special teams player who has been promoted beyond his skill set. Bringing in a new safety -- either strong or free, as Woods would do just fine moving into the strong safety position -- would help a defense that ranked 19th or worse when covering tight ends, running backs, or third wideouts.

You know who had the second-most broken tackles in the league this year? Cowboys fans do -- it was Jeff Heath, with just one fewer missed tackle than Riley. Heath is a liability in open-field tackling -- if perhaps a skosh better than Riley -- but he also pairs that with a limited ability to cover opposing tight ends

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
the year they kept JJ Wilcox was a head scratcher for sure, but they didn't really have enough depth to justify cutting him back then... this year is a lot different.

Exactly. We do have the depth to where it's somewhat understandable. I just wonder who made it over Wise. I hope he clears waivers because I think he'll be back if he does.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
especially Frazier.

My worry is they're going to go long at stupid positions like LB (for a 4-3 team), OL (keeping extra JAGs) and keeping 6 WRs wouldn't make sense either.

Maybe they want Jalen Jelks on the roster not on IR?
Why wouldn't keeping 6 WRs make sense? You really are annoying, eagles fan.