Officially the worst offseason ever?

Reaction score
While New England reloaded for another Super Bowl, I can't help but feel like this offseason has gone off the rails for us. I am trying to be optimistic, and I love our core, but I fear that the tumult of this offseason will result in a pretty big step back on the field this year. And it will take another year for us to reach our Super Bowl potential. In a nutshell:

1. Jerry misplays the Romo situation and we get nothing for a franchise QB who still can play.
2. We make no free agent signings of note and lose 3/4 of our starting DBs (which I was OK with) and 2/5 of our starting OL.
3. We miss out on all of the speed pass rushers in the first round of the draft (and allow Atlanta to leapfrog us for the last one) and draft yet another LDE.
4. Our most promising pass rusher and disruptor, David Irving, gets suspended 4 games, continuing a pattern set by D Law and Gregory.
5. Our starting SLB, and best coverage LB, Damien Wilson, assaults a woman with his car and pulls a rifle on her friends. No doubt, he'll be suspended for a long time.
6. Our franchise RB may be suspended, according to John Clayton.
7. Even our choir boy QB and leader is accused of fraud, for selling memorabilia he did not sign by hand.

On top of this, we have a very difficult first place schedule. I am excited for our future. But, in all honesty, I expect to be diaappointed this season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dallas is all about the draft.

We do the same thing every offseason and if we improve or not depends on how our draft was.

So we won't know what kind of offseason we had until we see the rookies and how they contribute.

It's hard to be patient and give a guy 3 years to develop with our team because we get talent from nowhere else besides the draft.

ALBIT

Reaction score
While New England reloaded for another Super Bowl, I can't help but feel like this offseason has gone off the rails for us. I am trying to be optimistic, and I love our core, but I fear that the tumult of this offseason will result in a pretty big step back on the field this year. And it will take another year for us to reach our Super Bowl potential. In a nutshell:

1. Jerry misplays the Romo situation and we get nothing for a franchise QB who still can play.
2. We make no free agent signings of note and lose 3/4 of our starting DBs (which I was OK with) and 2/5 of our starting OL.
3. We miss out on all of the speed pass rushers in the first round of the draft (and allow Atlanta to leapfrog us for the last one) and draft yet another LDE.
4. Our most promising pass rusher and disruptor, David Irving, gets suspended 4 games, continuing a pattern set by D Law and Gregory.
5. Our starting SLB, and best coverage LB, Damien Wilson, assaults a woman with his car and pulls a rifle on her friends. No doubt, he'll be suspended for a long time.
7. Even our choir boy QB and leader is accused of fraud, for selling memorabilia he did not sign by hand.

On top of this, we have a very difficult first place schedule. I am excited for our future. But, in all honesty, I expect to be diaappointed this season.

I would not got that far as worse offseason ever. I understand all your points. However I totally disagree with alot of Cowboys fans when they say this team will be great. I totally disagree. I think they will.struggle to miss the playoffs. However I feel great about the future of this team for the first time in a long long time. I just don't think we are as good as some thinks we are. I don't trust this defense at all. Not at all. Dak as much as love him and he will be a star in this league , there is just no way he will have the magical sesisn he had last year. He will be great. I know he will be. But he prob has a worst year ( which if not.compared to last year would be a good year for a second year guy ) Im not completely sold on Garrett as a head coach either. I hope he proves me wrong , but this team has a hard time stringing winning seasons together. So we will see. Im excited as hell for the season to start and I hope im wrong ( im wrong alot ). Also we pretty much stayed healthy all year, something that never ever happened with this team for many years. So keep our fingers crossed

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Hard to call it the worst off season ever (imo) but topping all this with the lack of preparedness in the playoffs yet again..I feel your pain. This Zeke crap isn't helping matters either.

Reaction score
I would not got that far as worse offseason ever. I understand all your points. However I totally disagree with alot of Cowboys fans when they say this team will be great. I totally disagree. I think they will.struggle to miss the playoffs. However I feel great about the future of this team for the first time in a long long time. I just don't think we are as good as some thinks we are. I don't trust this defense at all. Not at all. Dak as much as love him and he will be a star in this league , there is just no way he will have the magical sesisn he had last year. He will be great. I know he will be. But he prob has a worst year ( which if not.compared to last year would be a good year for a second year guy ) Im not completely sold on Garrett as a head coach either. I hope he proves me wrong , but this team has a hard time stringing winning seasons together. So we will see. Im excited as hell for the season to start and I hope im wrong ( im wrong alot ). Also we pretty much stayed healthy all year, something that never ever happened with this team for many years. So keep our fingers crossed

Great post. My feelings exactly.

John813

Reaction score
1. Maybe he did misplay it, however, Romo had a huge cap hit and was coming off multiple years of being injured. As talented as he was, durability was a big concern for Romo. The few teams rumored for Romo started playing hardball too. Romo was also loyal to Dallas.
2. Nothing new
3. Still drafted a DE that has some measurables that can turn into something. Way too early to judge.
4. Sucks, luckily it's only for 4 games.
5. Luckily we still have our starters from last year and Jaylon.
6. May be. Nothing is in stone.
7. Allegations.

While it wasn't a great offseason, it certainly wasn't terrible.
Terrible is having one of your players die(a la Will Smith) and or getting an one year ban from the league.

Only bad points are the possible suspensions to Zeke and Wilson, outside of the confirmed 4 game hit on Irving. I think only Wilson gets suspended out of all of it.

Reaction score
How many consecutive years have you made this post?

How many years of near identical offseasons and subsequent successes will it take for you to discern the pattern?

That's right, the misbehavior, drug use, suspensions, and free agent dormancy is the CAUSE of our subsequent success... At some point, this catches up with you... please remember my screen name, and I will yours. And let's compare notes after the season.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How many years of near identical offseasons and subsequent successes will it take for you to discern the pattern?

"subsequent successes".

How delusional do you have to be to say that as a Cowboys fan?

How many more years of all this winning is it going to take before you get it, hater?!

This offseason has been terrible.

ALBIT

Reaction score
That's right, the misbehavior, drug use, suspensions, and free agent dormancy is the CAUSE of our subsequent success... At some point, this catches up with you... please remember my screen name, and I will yours. And let's compare notes after the season.

Not sure how you meant this so I apologize if I misquote you. But I am also so damn tired of every single for year losing guys ESP on the defense to suspensions. It's every year and to me that shows me players have no respect or fear for their jobs and I truly think that is a problem. I really think it's a country club here in Dallas. Has been since Jimmy left. We have not won since, but call me crazy they can't figure it out

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Once on, terribly off, then on is a legitimate pattern?

robjay04

Reaction score
Wow I loved the offseason.

In my mind, we will be a more talented team week one with far more upside.

Suspensions stink but we have players on the roster that can replace these guys.

I still don't believe Zeke misses any time.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I already recognize yours. It's the one that treats every free agency move as the next sign of the apocalypse.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Before last season Vegas had the NFC East as the lowest total over under wins for any division, think they ended up with the most. NFL is pretty unpredictable. Sky hasn't fallen yet.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
"subsequent successes".

How delusional do you have to be to say that as a Cowboys fan?

How many more years of all this winning is it going to take before you get it, hater?!

This offseason has been terrible.
When you said that last year it might have had some credibility but your actions since have turned you into an embarrassment.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
This whole "losing 2/5 of the OL" is so absurd. You act like we lost Tyron and Frederick/Martin. Collins will be just fine. Last I checked, Free and Leary were not the reasons why this OL was at the top of the league. That's what happens when your core 3 are so good and you have to make sure to keep them on the roster. Quit overreacting.

We did not misplay the Romo situation. Romo was either going to play with us or retire (for now). What else could we have did?

David Irving had some flashes of good play but overall, he's just another guy right now. He's not as important as you say and he was wildly inconsistent.

You do realize players have companies that handle their autographs in that instance, right? You really think Dak was sitting in his room with his autograph machine? Be for real.

But I get it. Everything in today's times is either the best ever or worst ever. Chill out.

Dwight

Reaction score

You have some very valid concerns and points.

The only thing I disagree with is your number two (2) concern and that is the secondary. We lost due to a lack of a pass rush. Those DBs can be replace. I'm glad the FO didn't waste any money on them who left.

But my big concern was why would they not address and upgrade the pass rush which was your fourth concern.

And losing our Guard to Denver really is a concern of mine as well.