Offseason Running Smoothly and Effectively. Team Shaping Up

Noclaf

Reaction score
Chuck - what have they done so far to give you the warm and fuzzy's ?
Outside of re-sign our own - a 6th round 3/4 DE who will now move inside. - Slight improvement, as depth.
An UDFA signed to a futures contract - not sure he will even make it thru camp. - Meh.
Witten for one more year, lost Swaim. Slight improvement, only if he really will play a limited, mentoring role (Which he has never done here before. Mentor or limited role).
Lost our Slot Receiver - Signed Hurns and Austin. Slight regression.
Lost Randy Gregory - Big regression.
Lost David Irving - Addition by subtraction.
Re-signed Our swing tackle - push.
Re-signed our fullback - push.
Should, hopefully get Fredbeard back - big addition.
Franchised our top FA, considered the leagues top FA. A second time - there by putting his surgery and availability for off-season and T.C. in doubt. BIG REGRESSION.

The reason so many of us are quite frankly as grumpy as Risen on a good day, is because The Jones' have talked about taking the next step, not being conservative. Jerry talked at the Combine about not have too many years left. His mortality a big push to get over the hump they are continuously stuck in.
So, many of us are/were like - OK, finally, lets go ! Now again, nothing crazy to screw our Cap space. If it was me - Sign a SS like the Amos kid who now is in GB. Pay Lawrence and get his surgery done. That would free up the limited draft.
I don't call this taking the next step. We will be limited in the draft with no first rounder, so in reality our 2nd round pick # 58 ! (our first pick) really is our hope for a starter - at, DE ? DT ? Safety ? or somewhere else. The rest will be depth i.e. Lewis at CB. A third rounder is good, not necessarily a starter. By staying at best status quo, thru free agency, it forces the draft to be exceptional with limited picks to get exceptional players.
Otherwise, its another year closer to the grave for Jerry. Another year of the same old rhetoric we have heard forever.
Even not signing Carrot top to an extension would make you think that its now or never for him. Then they hamstring him.
Im sure we will add some more depth/roll players in the next week or two. But nothing like a starter or two to supplement the lack of a top pick.

The world is not over, but the frustration is definitely mounting.
Don't talk the good talk, then turn around and do next to nothing....
My 2 cents.
1000% correct

Noclaf

Reaction score
By the way all you that think Frederick will just pick up and be a pro bowler I think are in for a world of hurt. Bet you it will take him 2 years to get close to where he was and that might be wishful thinking

Patrick

Reaction score
Haters? Lmao. You happy fans are funny. This team will yet again be a wild card win ceiling team. We still have Garrett at coach. A guy who did zero at QB coach is now our OC. Who will still run Garrett's stale scheme.

But you guys will be sunshine pumping divisional titles and wild card wins and the awwww shucks gee golly we competed hard when we get exposed in the divisional round as usual. And we will see this same exact thread next year and you will be in here calling anyone haters who is skeptical of this franchise.

We just completely wasted the rookie deals of DLaw, Dak and Zeke. Yay. But yeah, we are just haters. Jerry loves fans like you.

I used to consider myself the most biased, homer, Cowboy fan ever until I joined this site.

But man, there are some crazy homers. Some super crazy haters too.

But, as a 25-year old, I just want a Superbowl to be won during my time. (Not while I was alive, but when I understand what is actually happening and not 3 years old)

dsturgeon

Reaction score
definitely sucks. He is terrible. But ignoring what you see and having blind faith is always cozy until they start actually playing football.

Enjoy watching him continue to get thrown around like a rag doll.

You call it blind faith. I call it a 6'6 270 pound rookie who was 22 ( and is now 24). He has had to sit on the bench on the plays that will earn him the big paycheck. There is a body and attitude change from a 22 year old to a 27 year old. I don't think he will be content getting thrown around like a rag doll and settle for a small paycheck. I think there is a better chance that 5 years of marinelli training and training specialized for his body and craft will pay off. ( not faith, it's a process)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is it possible that the negativity gets even less rational each year? Is there a bottom anywhere, even?

nobody

Reaction score
By the way all you that think Frederick will just pick up and be a pro bowler I think are in for a world of hurt. Bet you it will take him 2 years to get close to where he was and that might be wishful thinking

Physically, maybe or maybe not. Mentally? I think he'll be smarter on the field. He may take a few games to get back in the groove, but he'll be back to form in the second half of the season. Why do I say this? Because he stated that he really studied a lot more since he couldn't play. That's most likely going to offset any loss of physicality until he gets back to full form.

Add in the fact that the dude is a warrior and is probably chomping at the bit to play again when he wasn't sure he would ever be able to play again...so this will feel like a gift to him that he won't want to squander. I'm excited for him.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Nobody wants to hear this type of nonsense right now where some guy comes in and says everything is just fine. LOL

You glossed over TE, backup RB, DT, safety, 3rd lber, DE (no gregory). And lets be honest here, we really don't have a quality backup QB either.

Im sure the FO will fill most of these with bargain basement scrubs like they always do. The draft we really have ONE shot to get a guy of impact and thats with the 2nd rounder. Will they reach and blow it? I personally dont have a lot of confidence. After taking the horrid Taco last year, by confidence in them is blown.

Not even fine, but even better than last year!
Always amusing when claims are made that players will be better simply because it's their second year here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You call it blind faith. I call it a 6'6 270 pound rookie who was 22 ( and is now 24). He has had to sit on the bench on the plays that will earn him the big paycheck. There is a body and attitude change from a 22 year old to a 27 year old. I don't think he will be content getting thrown around like a rag doll and settle for a small paycheck. I think there is a better chance that 5 years of marinelli training and training specialized for his body and craft will pay off. ( not faith, it's a process)

You obviously can’t see the difference between a good young talent and a bad one. So are we to assume that your process works for everyone? Everyone will become stars? Nonsense. He sat on the bench because he sucked. And he was also benched for a poor attitude. Not only is this clown lacking talent, he lacks the mental makeup. He’s doomed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not even fine, but even better than last year!
Always amusing when claims are made that players will be better simply because it's their second year here.

I couldn’t agree more. Although in a case like gallop and Williams I think they will. Guys also get old and worse. Like lee, like t Smith.

Brax

Reaction score
While there’s things I question, and things that concern me, they don’t make me complain nonstop. For me, the most enjoyable part is NOT watching them fail.
haven't got much enjoyment the last 23 years have you, it's perspective, just enjoy the experience good or bad and don't drink the kool- aide.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Because people assumed all year he was close to a return. We have a weakness at DT and everyone just said “wait until we get Irving back”. Well he’s never coming back and our DTs are still below average.

It’s really sad that last seasons performance encouraged people. Because this team isn’t very good. It needs serious roster changes.

I guess the FO refuses to do so because they realize this is Garrett’s team and it’s do or die. They want the cap room for a new coach in 2020.

Anyone who saw the Rams game and thought we're ok at DL needs their heads examined .

Noclaf

Reaction score
Physically, maybe or maybe not. Mentally? I think he'll be smarter on the field. He may take a few games to get back in the groove, but he'll be back to form in the second half of the season. Why do I say this? Because he stated that he really studied a lot more since he couldn't play. That's most likely going to offset any loss of physicality until he gets back to full form.

Add in the fact that the dude is a warrior and is probably chomping at the bit to play again when he wasn't sure he would ever be able to play again...so this will feel like a gift to him that he won't want to squander. I'm excited for him.
Was it Mark Schlereth who had the same problem, it took him 2 years to get back to normal

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Despite all the clamoring for a huge payout to an aging safety, wr, or DL, look at where we are.

The offense is now set to be better than what it was going into last season.
  • O-Line...Williams stronger and experienced in 2nd year; Fleming in second year in system; Frederick returns, improving center and backup across interior; offseason and full season with the right coach...Columbo.
  • WR...Cooper gets a full camp in system and with Dak while coaches plan around him; Austin second year in system; Gallup with a year’s experience and strength; Wilson returns in 2nd year.
  • TE...young guys have a year of experience and Schultz has first full offseason of work. Witten is old, but he still knows how to get open, is reliable, cannot be covered by a LB, and will probably lean more to coaching the youngsters than ever before.
  • RB...we have the stud and I’ll be shocked if we don’t add one in next wave of free agency, the draft, or a veteran cut after draft
We will still go best player available most of the time, but the emphasis will be on defense in the draft.
  • DE...D-Law, Taco, maybe Gregory...Armstrong will be stronger and more confident in second year. Crawford can start or rotate at RDE.
  • DT....Woods, Collins, Crawford, Ross.
  • LB...Smith continues to improve in every way. LVE will be stronger and better in 2nd year. Lee will be rationed and used in impactful situations...best 3rd guy in years. We know Thomas can play, and Covington/March-Lillard gets chance to earn a spot.
  • CB....Jones in second year at position in system...look for more confidence and picks. Awuzie continues to grow and improve. Brown and Lewis both very good in slot.
  • S....Heath is Heath...not our best, but he won’t be worse than he was. Woods in second year as a starter and in Richards secondary will be better.
We may still look at free agency, but I think moreso at RB or camp bodies or competition.
Draft will focus on the two deepest positions, safety and DL.

I’m excited about the draft.
Round 2– DT/S
Round 3–S/DT
Round 4–RB/DL
Round 5–WR/DB
Rest—Round out the roster...OL, LB, Special Teams

This is exactly how I feel. Not sure why everyone is surprised we are doing nothing in FA. Jerry is not running the show anymore so there won't be a bunch of flashy FA signings. Happy we resigned Fleming for relatively cheap. Excited we have a young talented WR Core. Witten is back. We just need a good draft and I think we are in good shape for next year. It's next seasons FA period I'm worried about. Got a lot of good ones that will be up. Can't resign them all, but that is next years problem...

slick325

Reaction score
That DT position and safety spot outside of X. Woods...sadden me. Smh...

ESisback

Reaction score
haven't got much enjoyment the last 23 years have you, it's perspective, just enjoy the experience good or bad and don't drink the kool- aide.

I agree, except I’ve gotten lots of enjoyment out of the last 23 years. Not as much as I’d like, but not enough to lose hope.

nobody

Reaction score
Was it Mark Schlereth who had the same problem, it took him 2 years to get back to normal

That may be, but you can't always compare players like that. People recover at different rates for many different reasons. Look at Jaylon Smith. How many people were convinced his career was over before it began? Now look at him. :)