OG battle: McGovern vs Williams

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't see McGovern battling Williams for the guard spot. I see him battling Looney and Biadasz for the center spot. The left guard spot is in decent hands despite what many think of Williams. The center spot is up for grabs with Looney having the edge right now because of a lack of preseason.

Maybe eventually we'll get Biadasz at center and McGovern at guard, but I think we might be a year away from that combo.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I'm still bothered by the fact our tackles are bigger then our guards. And what do you do when you have smallish guards? You run a lot of pulls, traps and zone blocking scheme, right? Not us...we just power it run up the middle. I swear, the last coaching staff were complete idiots.
:facepalm:

So I don't care who wins the starting jobs, on our Oline. Let's just make sure we're taking advantage of their strengths.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing the latest version of this Cowboys OL take shape.

I've got a warm, fuzzy feeling our OL should be better than ever by the season's end.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see McGovern battling Williams for the guard spot. I see him battling Looney and Biadasz for the center spot. The left guard spot is in decent hands despite what many think of Williams. The center spot is up for grabs with Looney having the edge right now because of a lack of preseason.

Maybe eventually we'll get Biadasz at center and McGovern at guard, but I think we might be a year away from that combo.
Eventuially, McGovern likely starts at LOG with Williams sliding out to Swing OT.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I think the calculation will go by what they project the best 2/3 of McGovern, Williams, and Biadasz will be by the 2nd half of the season.

It does all hinge on the relation of other players to McGovern. He's the guy who flexes between G and C. He has played both. Was supposed to be NFL ready for power coming into the draft.

Likely McGovern and Williams are just better prepared for the NFL than Biadasz. That would put McGovern at C.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
I think the calculation will go by what they project the best 2/3 of McGovern, Williams, and Biadasz will be by the 2nd half of the season.

It does all hinge on the relation of other players to McGovern. He's the guy who flexes between G and C. He has played both. Was supposed to be NFL ready for power coming into the draft.

Likely McGovern and Williams are just better prepared for the NFL than Biadasz. That would put McGovern at C.

Issac Garcia is winning the LG spot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eventuially, McGovern likely starts at LOG with Williams sliding out to Swing OT.

I'd love to see the team have versatile guys on both the left and right sides of the line. Williams getting reps at both left guard and left tackle, while Knight gets reps at both right guard and right tackle.

But if I have to guess, I'm guessing that based on the current situation and not having a true offseason, the coaches will defer and go the veteran route, with Looney getting the nod at center and Williams continuing to start at left guard. Maybe that changes as the season moves along, but that's how I think they start the season.

fivetwos

Reaction score

I think McGovern may have been in the center mix, but the drafting of Biadasz probably pushed him back to LG for now.

Given their draft status, they each have to be seen as starters moving ahead, and I dont see how it makes sense to have them both at the same position.

Definitely on a year away from those two at LG and C.

The last thing I want to see this year is Williams at LG and Looney at C....maybe to start out, but I don't think we want first time starters at LG and C to begin next season (when the defense is hopefully more ready).

Not to bash Williams, but the plan has to be to not eat up space with a second contract for him. Someone is going to pay him well. That's after 2021 I believe.

Edit....lets call it the grades the team had on them as opposed to draft status.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'd love to see the team have versatile guys on both the left and right sides of the line. Williams getting reps at both left guard and left tackle, while Knight gets reps at both right guard and right tackle.

But if I have to guess, I'm guessing that based on the current situation and not having a true offseason, the coaches will defer and go the veteran route, with Looney getting the nod at center and Williams continuing to start at left guard. Maybe that changes as the season moves along, but that's how I think they start the season.

Agree, Looney will likely begin the season as starting C but would not surprise me at all to see McGovern finish. We have to keep in mind, we are looking for a long-term solution. McGovern gives us a chance to lock it down for the next few years. I think Looney is a 2021 free agent ( too lazy to look it up right now (lol) ).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree, Looney will likely begin the season as starting C but would not surprise me at all to see McGovern finish. We have to keep in mind, we are looking for a long-term solution. McGovern gives us a chance to lock it down for the next few years. I think Looney is a 2021 free agent ( too lazy to look it up right now (lol) ).

If someone were to replace Looney at center, my money would be on Biadasz.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I completely agree with all of this!

Issac Garcia is winning the LG spot.
And none of this.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think McGovern may have been in the center mix, but the drafting of Biadasz probably pushed him back to LG for now.

Given their draft status, they each have to be seen as starters moving ahead, and I dont see how it makes sense to have them both at the same position.

The last thing I want to see this year is Williams at LG and Looney at C....maybe to start out, but I don't think we want first time starters at LG and C to begin next season (when the defense is hopefully more ready).

Not to bash Williams, but the plan has to be to not eat up space with a second contract for him. Someone is going to pay him well. That's after 2021 I believe.

Edit....lets call it the grades the team had on them as opposed to draft status.

Little or no training alone with no preseason game AND new coach makes locking down the starting C and LG position as tricky as you can get. I'm guessing their priorities will be starting with the two players who either has the most experience and/or fastest to pick up the system. Just me, but I would at least start McGovern at C and Looney at LG with Williams as swing T. Although McGovern missed his entire rookie season, the year from the bench should still be helpful. In other words, we know what Looney brings to the position ( not to mention he's not a long-term solution ). Let's see if McGovern and hold his own right now coz if he can, we've locked down the position for the next few years. As for the LG position, Looney is better than Connor IMO.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I think he still is in the mix because I can't see the team relying on a fourth-round pick as the only competition for Looney. I like Looney, but the line struggled in pass protection when he had to play in place of Frederick. That's not all his fault (the main problem was Williams not being ready to start at left guard and Su'a-Filo being worse than him in pass protection).

Williams showed quite a bit of improvement last year with his weight gain. He still had some struggles at time so you are always going to look to upgrade the spot with him in there, but center is the priority this year.

I do agree that a second contract isn't likely for him, especially if Biadasz eventually takes over at center and McGovern is equal or better than Williams at guard. Right now, though, we've got to find a replacement for Frederick. If it ends up being McGovern this year, that doesn't mean it's permanent.

Rayman70

Reaction score
now don't rule out the rookie Tyler Biadasz being moved over to left guard in camp to push connor williams. I see Looney getting the nod at Center and Tyler being bumped over to guard as a swing guard. the kid is real good and may even supplant Connor Williams. Eventually he will be our starting center, but for now..he will play guard I think.

gimmesix

Reaction score

Possibly. Or he could just end up waiting in the wings until Williams leaves in FA, which would be after the 2021 season. It kind of depends on Williams. If he plays well as the starting left guard, there's no reason to replace him. Last year, for example, there was no reason to replace him. McGovern might have had a chance in camp, though, if he had stayed healthy based on Williams' struggles as a rookie.