Twitter: OG Su'a Filo

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OMG! Did Jerry trade away two first round picks for Joey Galloway again?!

The Cowboys offense plays as well as their offensive line and their offensive line had a good game against the Eagles. The question is, did Su'a-Filo make a big difference or did Marc Columbo get them back to playing better? Watching Su'a-Filo I am thinking he made a difference because he did not get pushed around and did not require much help from Looney or Smith. Smith had a really good game too. I have always felt if Frederick comes back they should move Looney to LG. Now I am thinking if Frederick does not come back they should leave Su'a-Filo at LG. I know he is not the long term answer but we have seen what Williams can do. He needs to bulk up and get stronger. Let him compete next year after an offseason in the gym and at the buffet table.

Columbo, I'm guessing made the call on Su'a-Filo (due to injury) so I'm guessing that it was really a little of both. I like to share credit around when we win! LOL.....

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
It's refreshing to a see a guy who can physically impose his will out there.

It makes you wonder:

1. Why was Williams not given any competition in the preseason for the job.
2. Why did it take an injury to put him on the bench.

I really don't like how we seem to just hand starting spots to certain people.

EST_1986

Reaction score
It's refreshing to a see a guy who can physically impose his will out there.

It makes you wonder:

1. Why was Williams not given any competition in the preseason for the job.
2. Why did it take an injury to put him on the bench.
Country Club mentality

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'm all for giving Su'a-Filo credit for his play, but I'm not ready to say he's going to be a better option than Williams. If he plays like he did Sunday night, then clearly he should keep the job. If he reverts to his play for the Texans, then we're going to be wanting Williams back out there even with his warts.

His time in Houston was a disappointment though. He struggled with injuries during his first two years, and when he was on the field, he wasn’t very good. In 2016 and 2017 his ability to stay healthy improved, but his play did not. His PFF grades in his four year career are 43.4, 42.8, 44.9, and 35.8. That 35.8 grade was better than just two qualifying guards in 2017 — Ethan Pocic and Jeremy Vujnovich. Not great.

According to the above article, he is considered a solid run blocker but lunges in pass protection, which throws him off balance to allow the DL to get easy pressure. I haven't studied him from Sunday night, so I don't know if we saw any of those issues in pass protection. The Texans supposedly thought he was improving over the back half of 2017, but didn't re-sign him. Tennessee signed him in the offseason instead then cut him in September.

lukin2006

Reaction score
So Dak had arguably his best game of 2018, and Zeke had his best game as a pro ... this seems like too much a coincidence. If the success continues in Atlanta...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They need to keep playing X and let Conner heal up. That is what Garrett should say publicly anyway. If X continues to perform having conner as a backup wouldn't be bad, can work him back in on ST to help keep his confidence up.

elcowboi

Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!! :eek: If he's stays playing like this there's no reason to rush Williams back. Let him get a full offseason in the weight room.

Hell, I'm willing to do a Tonya Harding on Williams to make sure Su'a-Filo stays at LG!!!!!!

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Even his name sounds like a Super Duper Guard...

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So here is a (not so) novel idea (based upon the single game Filo has played for the Cowboys): leave Filo at LG and during the off-season try/groom Conner at OT. Assuming FredBeard returns, then the starting OL would be Smith, Filo, FredBread, Martin, Collins with Looney and Conner as the prime back-ups. I would still draft an OL in next year's draft.