Ohio St. QB recruit skipping senior year of high school

Ghost12

Reaction score
Players have skipped the 2nd half of their senior seasons to go to their new college, but this is the first time I can think of someone skipping their entire senior season.

He sure seems awfully old to be a HS senior though. He's already 18 years, 5 months. I turned 17 in September of my senior year, so he is a full 18 months older than I was at the same level of education.

chagus

Reaction score
Players have skipped the 2nd half of their senior seasons to go to their new college, but this is the first time I can think of someone skipping their entire senior season.

He sure seems awfully old to be a HS senior though. He's already 18 years, 5 months. I turned 17 in September of my senior year, so he is a full 18 months older than I was at the same level of education.

I think you just explained why they decided to skip. Thanks for the insight.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard of this before. He's declaring for college.

I haven't

This is a local, Dallas area kid, who some think is the best HS prospect since Lawrence.
Guess we’ll see

Most of the area kids get held back a year in pre-k or kindergarten for sports.
Silly…imo…but the extra year does help some of the later developers.

My son is the youngest in his class, yet hell turn 18 before he graduated.
He has classmates 1 1/2 years older.

RaZon

Reaction score
John David Booty

Early years[edit]
Booty prepped at the Evangel Christian Academy in Shreveport, Louisiana but left a year early after his father (who was the team's quarterback coach) left the staff, having already earned enough credits to graduate.[1] Despite leaving after his junior year, Booty's final passing stats were 8,474 yards on 555 of 864 attempts (64.2%) with 88 touchdowns and 26 interceptions. Booty succeeded his brother, former Louisiana State University quarterback Josh Booty, and former Miami quarterback Brock Berlin. In 2001 and 2002 he led Evangel Christian Academy to state-championship game victories held at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans.[2]

Booty is believed to be the first player ever to leave high school a whole year early to play college football.[3] He headlined a class that was considered the best that season, and included other NFL-bound recruits such as Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Steve Smith, and Sam Baker.[4]

RaZon

Reaction score
Running back Jaylen Blue also passing on his final HS season.

No. 82 recruit Jaydon Blue to skip senior season of high school football to prepare for commitment to Texas Longhorns

kev8822

Reaction score
That's a first.

Does he has any shot at starting this year? Or will he be a RSF?
NIL has to play a role even if the family says they don't "need it"

Probably not. He joins a logjam of 4 freshman QB's for OSU(Three 5*, and one 4*). CJ Stroud and Jack Miller are both RS freshman. They only took a handful of snaps last year, and have not thrown a pass. Kyle McCord is an incoming freshman that was an early enrollee in January. I don't think there is anyway Ewers can pick up the playbook that fast. The other 3 QB's have such a huge lead with the playbook and conditioning.

It would be different if he was trying to beat out 2* kids.

It is about the NIL $. Supposedly close to a million dollars. Texas HS has a rule against NIL. I bet most states do away with the rule in the next 2 years to allow kids to get the $ now. It will be known as the Quinn Ewers rule.

Hardline

Reaction score
He committed to the Longhorns and then decommited.

Hopefully the Horns can sign Arch Manning.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Can't wait for the Pop Warner kids to start declaring their college team early. Give it another decade or so.

Ghost12

Reaction score
He committed to the Longhorns and then decommited.

Hopefully the Horns can sign Arch Manning.
That way he can be like his Uncle Peyton: Beat up on bad teams but get his butt kicked by Steve Spurrier - uh I mean Nick Saban - once a year en route to the Citrus Bowl.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
Been watching Quinn play for a while. The kid is legit best HS QB I have ever seen play in person. Throws the ball with great anticipation and accuracy. I was looking forward to another year of seeing him grow and help lead my beloved Dragons to a state title. Best of luck to Quinn!

Last edited:

Bigdog

Reaction score
This is nothing new. I had a chance to do this but said no. I started to take advanced classes in 8th grade and by the time I got to my Sr year I only had to take 3 classes. I could have really pushed and got those classes done by taken summer classes but I didn’t. I did take some college courses at the local community college. One of the best decisions I made because it prepared me for college as the professors treated me like any other freshman.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Been watching Quinn play for a while. The kid is legit best HS QB I have ever seen play in person. Throws the ball with great anticipation and accuracy. I was looking forward to another year of seeing him grow and help lead my beloved Dragons to a state title. Best of luck to Quinn!

All due respect this video piece isn't saying much about his talent ( or lack of ). Hell, 95% of college QBs can make every one of those throws.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
All due respect this video piece isn't saying much about his talent ( or lack of ). Hell, 95% of college QBs can make every one of those throws.

The game footage is when he was a sophomore in high school not college. I’m not a college scout by any means but I can say this kid is pretty darn good.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Does Texas still have that rule that allows kids to compete in high school sports into their 20's if they have a "learning disability?" I've always thought that was kind of a garbage rule.. But kids competing in high school pretty late in life seems to be fairly common here.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Does Texas still have that rule that allows kids to compete in high school sports into their 20's if they have a "learning disability?" I've always thought that was kind of a garbage rule.. But kids competing in high school pretty late in life seems to be fairly common here.

I went to the UIF site and got my answer. Here is the rule:

Eligibility for Athletic Contests
  • meet all the requirements above,
  • are less than 19 years old on September 1 preceding the contest or have been granted eligibility based on a disability that delayed their education by at least one year,
This is the one I am talking about.. Basically it lets kids compete until they're eligible for social security as long as they can get a doctor to say they have a "disability." Tons of high school superstars in Texas have exploited this rule to keep playing high school sports into their 20's. Amazing.. The biggest name everyone would be familiar with is Billy Sims.. who graduated from high school 3 months shy of his 20th birthday.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Well, he has a hell of an arm for an 18-year-old but I'm docking him on points for that mullet.

If you're going to run a mullet, you gotta take care of it. You have to baby it. You have to have pride and confidence. That thrift store mullet cut he's running is an embarrassment. There's no confidence in that mullet. He's overplayed the mullet meme and it's nothing more than a badge of insecurity at this point. He's ruined the essence of a mullet which is to be as ugly as possible while simultaneously being as beautiful as possible. What would Billy Ray Cyrus say about that catastrophe? You think Eric Johnson would sport that mullet while shredding out the Cliffs of Dover? I don't think so.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The money college players can earn changes the equation. Why stay in HS an extra year when you can go to OSU and cash in on your #1 ranked player status? OSU is a big market and this kid will be a millionaire before he ever takes a snap under center.