Video: Okeye on Olawale from last year

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Not sure if there is a coaching staff in the NFL that does less with the talent on the roster than Dallas.

The game is about exploiting mismatches— and we just don’t seem to understand how to use our guys to dictate problems for a defense and free up players to dominate

My biggest issue with them.

This is a league full of the top athletes in the world and we’re still just playing the way of “beat your man” and “execute”.

Zero scheming

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

This is a league full of the top athletes in the world and we’re still just playing the way of “beat your man” and “execute”.

Zero scheming

Except when they do and it fails. Then people complain we didn't run Zeke.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
He didn't run the jet sweep. But they did scheme him open. An almost TD pass from Dak.

I was talking the offense in general. But yeah that was wide open and unfortunate.

The dude has wheels and hands, I’m hopeful

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Zero scheming

The best scheming they done was the blocking scheme when Bill Callahan was the OL coach.

For example they would repeatedly run the zone stretch left and keep doing it until it was obvious the defense was cheating over and then they would come back with power right and bust off some really big runs. They did a lot of what the Rams did to them in regards to the blocking scheme.

Unfortunately Callahan hated Garrett and jumped ship as soon as his contract was up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you have a staff that has no idea how to scheme mismatches, how on earth do you propose to get a FB like this involved in the gameplan?

Maybe Moore changes that, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Very easy.

Don't re-sign the backup RB and change the FB next to Olawale's name on the roster to RB.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure if there is a coaching staff in the NFL that does less with the talent on the roster than Dallas.

The game is about exploiting mismatches— and we just don’t seem to understand how to use our guys to dictate problems for a defense and free up players to dominate

We were a top 8 team last year when it was all said and done. Where do you have us ranked in terms of roster talent?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We are going to find out if Moore is a Linehan disciple or a Petersen disciple. Let's hope its the later.
Well moore worked under linehan his entire nfl career, so that has to make him a little like linehan?
What the key is , is Kellen really the OC with no interference from garrett? I know they say or I have read here that he is,
and if garrett bugs him, he is to go tell daddy jerry, and daddy will tell JG to leave kellen alone !!
lol only in dallas does this sort of issue exist:starspin::laugh:
But again here I have read about kellen being good with x's and o's , so maybe he makes up some new plays, or a whole new playbook.
But what I wonder is who all will make up the game plans?>? Who will determine the philosophy behind the new offense?
How good will the other coaches implement the new plays?

Since we know that garrett wanted to call the plays again himself, is he going to work against kellen? will he try to sabotage kellen
to get playcalling back? If JG is controlling the game plans, that will affect the offense and defense.

So there are a lot of variables.

I checked and to my surprise kellen is listed as OC, and
Kris Richard
Passing Game Coordinator & Defensive Backs
even though we saw Kris calling and running the defense last season!

I have to say this about linehan, he liked Kellen, brought him here with him from detroit, and set up Kellen to
be the next OC. Or at least set him up so he had a good shot at that job.

but as a year 1 OC I am not expecting a whole lot, especially working under JG, but no way to know how
he will do until we see about 6 games or so.
It is all a wait and see thing with dallas this season.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
We were a top 8 team last year when it was all said and done. Where do you have us ranked in terms of roster talent?

The issue I have is with usage of the talent... I think the coaches do not utilize offensive skill players enough. Why was Dez not moved around more? Why would Beasley disappear for entire games? This particular thread is about Olawale. He has a unique skillset for a FB. Why do we trade for him and underutilize him? We can’t create ANY package where he could be a factor? What about Rico?

Plenty of other examples over the years under Garrett/Linehan. A lack of creativity has long been a criticism of this staff.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Very easy.

Don't re-sign the backup RB and change the FB next to Olawale's name on the roster to RB.

Yeah, maybe now he'll get 45 carries like Rod Smith. That'd certainly be an improvement.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The issue I have is with usage of the talent... I think the coaches do not utilize offensive skill players enough. Why was Dez not moved around more? Why would Beasley disappear for entire games? This particular thread is about Olawale. He has a unique skillset for a FB. Why do we trade for him and underutilize him? We can’t create ANY package where he could be a factor? What about Rico?

Plenty of other examples over the years under Garrett/Linehan. A lack of creativity has long been a criticism of this staff.

I think we finished about where our talent ought to have taken us last year. Which begs the question of how bad the utilization really is if we’re getting where we should expect to get with the roster we’ve got.

When I hear Brian Broaddus going on about how we’ve got a top-ten roster and the issue is coaching, I count on all ten fingers and then scratch my head.