OL major concern

rw54

Reaction score
We will be lucky to get to 6-10 if the OL plays like it did last night. I think we will get it corrected but adjustments need to be made.

First, it appears to me that we have a systematic problem in that all our lineman let the defender get into their inside shoulder. This can't be by design but it happens alot, especially to the tackles. We're not talking about sweeps either, this happened on straight drop backs, counters, delays. Terrible.

Obviously RT is a big problem. I don't know what they are going to do, but Pettitti is the best we have there right now. He needs more playing time. I agree with Babe Laufenberg in that I don't think Allen moves well enough to play there but it might be worth a shot. But if you move LA who do you put at guard? None of the guards looked good last night either. Tyson Walter was the best backup guard last night and that is scary. I would move Tucker to guard. He might be okay at there, he can't play tackle at all.

The center battle was pretty much Gurode good physically not so good mentally, Johnson got pushed around by backups. He seems smaller than last year but I don't think that is right, it just seems that way. I would go with AG based on last night. Johnson needs to get hunkered down and anchor like my old OL coach used to say.

The OL was playing high and getting whipped physically. Considering we are built to have success assuming good Ol play, we are in trouble if we don't get alot better there quick. I hope BP plays the starters a whole half next week they need the work.

burmafrd

Reaction score
It is interesting that virtually the entire 2 deep squad on the O line stank --- that is very strange. Even Rivera got beat for a sack.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
The change to the 3-4 has killed our offense.

4 OL and 3 defenders in the backfield. :)

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
OL stunk, Flo was beaten atleast twice and Petitti was not ready. Gurode was not good in pass protection, especially in the first series. We'll get it situated I hope. Thank God it's pre-season!

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
That play that Al J got blown up on (well you know the one that kept getting replayed) was painful to watch. I don't recall seeing a pulling lineman get blown up like that in the NFL ever. I had to go back and see it again as I was shocked it was AJ that it happened to. :bang2:

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
smashmouth said:
OL stunk, Flo was beaten atleast twice and Petitti was not ready. Gurode was not good in pass protection, especially in the first series. We'll get it situated I hope. Thank God it's pre-season!

You are so right about that! The OL lost the game. Even the defense, with new players in new positions played better in a new scheme than the OL did.

This was a meaningless game, but if they don't get their act together, they will lose some real games for us too.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moving LA to RT would be a mistake IMO. Unless Peterman shows more than he did at LG last night we better keep LA there.

Ken

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
It is interesting that virtually the entire 2 deep squad on the O line stank --- that is very strange. Even Rivera got beat for a sack.
Yeah but other than that, he didn't miss a block.

he was very good.

LA was also perfect.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I know a lot of you are bashing tucker but I said last season he was playing out of pistion and I still think he is. Tucker should be a guard and should be moved there. He played guard and college and has had moments where he played ok as a tackle. Tucker was a raw project we had and I think he lacks the foot speed to play on the corner. He is not quick enough in his drop back to wall off on passing plays. Move Tucker inside where he belongs imo

On another not Flo would make the most sense at RT but we have the issue of no one able to play LT :bang2:

bags

Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
I know a lot of you are bashing tucker but I said last season he was playing out of pistion and I still think he is. Tucker should be a guard and should be moved there. He played guard and college and has had moments where he played ok as a tackle. Tucker was a raw project we had and I think he lacks the foot speed to play on the corner. He is not quick enough in his drop back to wall off on passing plays. Move Tucker inside where he belongs imo

On another not Flo would make the most sense at RT but we have the issue of no one able to play LT :bang2:

Well we better move tucker somewhere. Perhaps off the team unless he can get his act together. :D

burmafrd

Reaction score
Tucker stinks.
Simple as that.
LA appears to be the only guy that did not make a big mistake last night.
The Hotel stank it up- I am starting to get worried there. Was 2003 just a fluke with him?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
From what I saw it looks like Pettiti will be our starter. While has was not ready he did play pretty well considering he has only had a couple of days practice on the right side. He was on the left before his ankle sprain and came back to play the right only just this week. He had some mistakes to be sure but all in all and all things considered he did really well.

Rivera seemed to be ok, I saw him make some nice plays. Flozell Adams looked as bad as I have ever seen him. That was a pathetic performance by the big guy. LA didn't do much either, they couldn't run behind him. It could have had something to do with Flo but LA was not kicking any butt either.

Gurode didn't impress anyone last night; he was just there much like he was at guard. However, Al Johnson didn't do much better. Al played well for the most part but he was beaten badly a couple of times too. And Tucker might as well go ahead and buy his buss ticket…he is as good as gone.