Olawale - The Kellen Moore Effect

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Was listening to one of the Cowboys podcast yesterday and while they were on the air the news broke that we resigned Olawale. They didn't spend much time on it in fact you could say that they ignored the subject all together. But what they did say was kinda interesting.

They mention that the plan was to use him as a RB and that Olawale was actually one of the fastest players on the team. Now most of us that post on this site knew that Olawale had some legit running skills and me personally I envisioned us using him in the backfield. However with Linehan that never happened.

My question is if this move is being made because Kellen thinks that Olawale was underutilized last season and he see's a significant role for him as the primary back up to Zeke? I personally think Olawale would be an upgrade to Rod Smith.

That is the only way it makes sense. Never cared for his signing then or now because of how little they would use him in games. They can talk how creative they can be all day but show me in a game. If we are up or down by 3 driving in the 3rd quarter who do you give the ball to? Will they put him on the field in base offense with Zeke or just obvious olewale plays?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I don't live in the "should of-would of-could of" world. We spent the 4th overall on Elliott and I'm running him until the wheels fall off.
Using Gurley as an example is silly.
So you dont want Zeke available in the biggest games during the playoffs? If we do not have a viable back up then run Zeke until he pukes....but if we do we need to rest the dude more. Zeke has about 2 years left in his prime at the rate he is going.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
So you dont want Zeke available in the biggest games during the playoffs? If we do not have a viable back up then run Zeke until he pukes....but if we do we need to rest the dude more. Zeke has about 2 years left in his prime at the rate he is going.

If the plan is to extend him, best limit his wear and tear. There were a few games last year his overuse was showing. It was obvious he wasn't close to 100%. The fact that 80% of Zeke is better than 100% Rod kept us trotting him back out there when he was hobbled.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
If the plan is to extend him, best limit his wear and tear. There were a few games last year his overuse was showing. It was obvious he wasn't close to 100%. The fact that 80% of Zeke is better than 100% Rod kept us trotting him back out there when he was hobbled.
And that is point. You could visually see the wear and tear on Zeke last season

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If you are the leading tackler on ST it often means you are getting down the field in a hurry in other words, he is no slouch.

Now as far as if he will be used more in the offense or not. If history is any indicator the answer would be no as it seems that we don't use our FBs in the running or passing game much.

I think the last one we used in the passing game with success or a decent amount was a year or so with Richie Anderson when the Tuna was here.

If he is used more, then I will applaud Moore understanding that he has to use all the weapons available to him to keep defenses off-balance.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He runs a 4.52
Rod ran between a 4.52-4.64 pre draft.
But Olawale is a very good blocker.
And led the team in special teams tackles.
Tied for 9th in the league.

People mad that we signed him for 1.8 per, but he offers more than Keith Smith whos currently getting 2.1 from Oakland.

Thanks for that. In defending the signing in the other thread, I neglected to look up exactly what he did on special teams.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When has he not been available? You're assuming a problem will exist that doesn't.
Also, Olawale isn't a back-up RB. He's a FB. His job is to get a couple touches, blocking and special teams.
If Elliott goes down we replace him with an actual RB.

I also have no idea how you would know how many years Elliott will be productive.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He runs a 4.52
Rod ran between a 4.52-4.64 pre draft.
But Olawale is a very good blocker.
And led the team in special teams tackles.
Tied for 9th in the league.

People mad that we signed him for 1.8 per, but he offers more than Keith Smith whos currently getting 2.1 from Oakland.

Good info!

Dude is a football player. Good job Dallas.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
When has he not been available? You're assuming a problem will exist that doesn't.
Also, Olawale isn't a back-up RB. He's a FB. His job is to get a couple touches, blocking and special teams.
If Elliott goes down we replace him with an actual RB.

I also have no idea how you would know how many years Elliott will be productive.
I never said he was the back up RB....I said I heard that was a plan and he may be a better option than Rod. Also, if you see signs that a problem could exist you do not wait until there is a problem.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I never said he was the back up RB....I said I heard that was a plan and he may be a better option than Rod. Also, if you see signs that a problem could exist you do not wait until there is a problem.
You're blowing things out of proportion. Elliott was a little banged up and he played on. Nothing to be concerned with. It's his job.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You're blowing things out of proportion. Elliott was a little banged up and he played on. Nothing to be concerned with. It's his job.
No as you said Zeke was banged up. We know its Zeke's job.....we just want to make sure its his job for us for a while at a high level.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I was thinking maybe Kellen would use #49 as an H-Back (move TE) for motion, angle blocks and short routes. This talk of playing RB is interesting tho. Just shows how versatile this guy could be.

Hopefully they bring in another RB2 type, but I do like Jordan Chunn. Wonder what Kellen could do with a scatback...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was listening to one of the Cowboys podcast yesterday and while they were on the air the news broke that we resigned Olawale. They didn't spend much time on it in fact you could say that they ignored the subject all together. But what they did say was kinda interesting.

They mention that the plan was to use him as a RB and that Olawale was actually one of the fastest players on the team. Now most of us that post on this site knew that Olawale had some legit running skills and me personally I envisioned us using him in the backfield. However with Linehan that never happened.

My question is if this move is being made because Kellen thinks that Olawale was underutilized last season and he see's a significant role for him as the primary back up to Zeke? I personally think Olawale would be an upgrade to Rod Smith.

I remember some times last year (probably pre-season) that I thought he looked like he could be the best backup RB on the roster.

I highly doubt he is one of the fastest players on the team; although he's probably faster than Rod Smith and might be one of the fastest at his weight (238).

It appears his forty was 4.58.

Last edited: