Oline Coach Philbin is doing a terrific job

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The days of injuries on the Oline and everything falling apart are over. We had two Undrafted FA’s start on Sunday and they held their own. Dude deserves major props, and especially the players.

Major props for two games. We will be a force when Collins and Tyron get healthy folks.

true, but also give credit to coaching, game plan to get the ball out quickly was part of it. Help and protections.

no stupidity of Garrett and next man up with no adjustments.

cern

Reaction score
it helped that both Dante Fowler and Takk McKinnely missed a ton of time as the DEs, and it's still a mystery as why Philbin doesn't care for McGovern
but for not being afraid to place Steele ahead of Cam Erving,
And kudos for starting Brandon Knight at LT. (which why wasn't Knight startign over Steele at RT vs Rams ?)

But we still have two struggling OGs - one who had long been one of premiere OGs but has been on the ground way too many times.
How much of this is adjusting to a new blocking scheme or a lack of off-season and preseason ? We'll have to see.

But cannot argue against ANY coaches when you're able to put up 40 points, and 570 yards ..
Why philbin isn't sold on McGovern remains a mystery. He missed all of last year so he's still a rookie in a technical sense. But not hearing anything about him.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Who would’ve thought that shortening the passing game would help against the pass rush?

I wonder if Garrett has learned that yet or if he’s still processing.

He was processing big time when we played ATL in Atl. How many sacks that day 7?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
it helped that both Dante Fowler and Takk McKinnely missed a ton of time as the DEs, and it's still a mystery as why Philbin doesn't care for McGovern
And kudos for starting Brandon Knight at LT. (which why wasn't Knight startign over Steele at RT vs Rams ?)

But we still have two struggling OGs - one who had long been one of premiere OGs but has been on the ground way too many times.
How much of this is adjusting to a new blocking scheme or a lack of off-season and preseason ? We'll have to see.

But cannot argue against ANY coaches when you're able to put up 40 points, and 570 yards ..

it helped that both Dante Fowler and Takk McKinnely missed a ton of time as the DEs

This might be why our tackles looked so good..? And the Falcons are not KC.

We beat a not overly talented team by 1 point on a fluke onside kick.

Slow down guys.

You can be sure the Seahawks will look at the film and attack them this week.

Philbin praise needs to wait until after we beat good teams.

That ain't happened yet.

Be patient.

quickccc

Reaction score
Why philbin isn't sold on McGovern remains a mystery. He missed all of last year so he's still a rookie in a technical sense. But not hearing anything about him.

yeh but if Philbin hasn't no qualms about starting an undrafted rookie at RT (and one who was struggling in camp at that) ...then what is it about
3rd rd pick McGovern that he doesn't have faith in him whatsoever.

quickccc

Reaction score
it helped that both Dante Fowler and Takk McKinnely missed a ton of time as the DEs

This might be why our tackles looked so good..? And the Falcons are not KC.
We beat a not overly talented team by 1 point on a fluke onside kick.

Slow down guys.
You can be sure the Seahawks will look at the film and attack them this week.

Philbin praise needs to wait until after we beat good teams.
That ain't happened yet.

Be patient.

But as far as their DL vs our OL, Seattle does not have a Fowler or a McKinnely,..
In fact their best pass rusher on their DL unit is probably ex-Cowboys Benson Mayowa .. their best results will have to be their ability to bltiz those stellar LBs in KJ Wright, Wagner and safety Jamal Adams.

i like the up tempo quick pass game and zeke run game, that's helping out the tackles, but any way a coach can get results that still help us
produce on offense, i give him kudos, short lived or not.

cern

Reaction score
yeh but if Philbin hasn't no qualms about starting an undrafted rookie at RT (and one who was struggling in camp at that) ...then what is it about
3rd rd pick McGovern that he doesn't have faith in him whatsoever.
Wish i had an answer. But no vote of confidence. Could he be last years try as ten hill.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
whats up with TWO players coming in and then leaving in the same week?

Is this Alex Light guy just a body, or might he contribute?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The days of injuries on the Oline and everything falling apart are over. We had two Undrafted FA’s start on Sunday and they held their own. Dude deserves major props, and especially the players.

Major props for two games. We will be a force when Collins and Tyron get healthy folks.
Excellent thread topic.

Yes, there are obvious signs of good coaching on the OLine this season.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Duncanlso thinks he stinks and we should never have let Colombo go.
Not just that he thinks it, but that it isn’t even a question that Philbin sucks and that Colombo is much better. Like it is a proven fact.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Don’t forget that McGovern was drafted by the previous regime that ran much more of a man-blocking scheme. McCarthy and Philbin run a pure zone-blocking scheme (which I much prefer) like Bill Callahan did. The nimble, movement linemen will be better for that scheme.

When McGovern was drafted they talked about how he already had NFL power, which fans liked because Williams had been over-powered a few times. It was assumed then that McGovern would eventually overtake Williams at LG.

Williams however, has much better movement skills, which Philbin is going to covet for his zone scheme, and I knew that would give him a leg up in the competition. The same goes for Looney, who can really move well. Both are made for Philbin’s Zone scheme. They fit like gloves.

That’s not to say that McGovern can’t succeed in a zone-blocking scheme but he simply can’t move like Williams and Looney can, which is going to hurt McGovern’s chances IMO.

Anyway, I still have hopes for McG... but Williams is playing well in this scheme. Like x-walker said, he simply doesn’t need to be replaced because he’s been good, and will only get better as the line gels.

I’ve been wanting the Cowboys to go back to this blocking scheme ever since Bill Callahan left. This scheme is what helped make the Dallas OL become the best in football in 2014 and, IMO, is much more difficult for defenses to deal with. It was one of the biggest things that excited me about McCarthy coming to Dallas.

Once they play a few games together, say by mid season, this OL will start to gel and get used to Philbin’s scheme... and they are going to become very dangerous again. Elliott is going to have a good season IMO.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Who would’ve thought that shortening the passing game would help against the pass rush?

I wonder if Garrett has learned that yet or if he’s still processing.
I mean it is a learn on the job kinda thing right? Right? We’ve been fed that for a decade

Parcells4Life

Reaction score

The top part is the biggest reason the OL succeeded. When McKinley was there the first 2 series the OL was awful. He got hurt and magically the offense was better.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

No.

he’s done a terrible job.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
But as far as their DL vs our OL, Seattle does not have a Fowler or a McKinnely,..
In fact their best pass rusher on their DL unit is probably ex-Cowboys Benson Mayowa .. their best results will have to be their ability to bltiz those stellar LBs in KJ Wright, Wagner and safety Jamal Adams.

i like the up tempo quick pass game and zeke run game, that's helping out the tackles, but any way a coach can get results that still help us
produce on offense, i give him kudos, short lived or not.
Understood.

I just take it with a grain of salt

Let's wait and see this weekend.

If we still prosper with Seattle..

I will get behind all the High 5s..