Twitter: On second thought, maybe the D is not as bad

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
I said in another thread, even though I, as many others complain about the defenses. As they do look sloppy.
However they have given up 44 points. 17 of those in Garbage time in a prevent D with some back ups in.
Another 7 points was almost into garbage time as they had a 28 point lead at the time.

They have been giving up big plays in the passing and some runs. But held the scoring down. No picks not many sacks, but scoring is down. They were missing what 3 starters today on the D?

They started out slow like this last year as well.

I don't like it, the sloppiness, but not in panic mode either. They need to get it cleaned up.
No such thing as garbage time. The game is 60 minutes. Whatever happens in 60 minutes is legit, not garbage. Stop with the excuses.

starfan1

Reaction score
Yea Roy, watch the whole game ....lol

My point is keeping team scoring down was our MO last year and it worked pretty darn good. I mean teams can march up and down the field plenty but if they are not scoring it doesn't matter. So this most important for us is in the same as last year so far. Besides, our own offensive issues in the red-zone last year proves the importance of scoring.

It worked good last year till we played the rams . I hate the marinelli bend don’t break garbage but perhaps we’ll be better at it come playoff time this time around

Teams that are as talented as you are will make you pay and in the nfc the rams and a few others have talent and can make us pay

I like the Quinn addition and we need woods and Crawford back but this d needs to get better especially awuzia

quickccc

Reaction score
Played offensive challenged teams so far also.

Give it a few weeks and the Cowboys play against better QB's and things will even out.

Let's see where the Cowboys rank mid-season or so.

exactly - these are weak sistas we are going against thus far, and you take what you can get ... once we get up to the Rodgers, Brady, Goff , Stafford, Wentz , then there will be a taller task and tale ..

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Maybe on 3rd thought...it's worse than we could imagine because the teams we played are 1-8 combined...and should be 0-9 if it wasn't for a crap Tampa Bay kicker...Just saying. :rolleyes:

wecasa

Reaction score
Saints in the dome will be a test even with Bridgewater. They put up 33 on Seattle and won in seattle. Green bay comes next and they are much better than I expected, especially on defense. then it's back to the jv schedule.

just_catch_it

Reaction score
Saints in the dome will be a test even with Bridgewater. They put up 33 on Seattle and won in seattle. Green bay comes next and they are much better than I expected, especially on defense. then it's back to the jv schedule.
Absolutely. Looking forward to the next couple weeks starting with the Saints. We have 3 wins against the 3 worst teams in Football. We will get a Good look at where were at.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Let’s say the defense really is bad ( we should get a good idea vs. NO ). We’ll just have to go back to dominating TOP to keep the defense off the field.

Good thing we have the best RB in the league and a more than serviceable back up and a top 3 o line.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You're right. The Saints will be a test, but I watched that game and they received some pretty good breaks on plays that aren't common place. I didn't think Bridgewater was all that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d agree that, if we end the weekend 3rd in the league in terms of points against, the sky might not actually be falling.

There’s lots of room for improvement. With Quinn and X Woods coming back in, and Lawrence getting into better football shape, we’ve got reason to believe we can improve. This time last season our defense wasn’t what everybody wants to remember it as, either.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Middle of this defense is a glaring weakness to the entire team. This has been an issue for seemingly year 10 in a row

JBond

Reaction score
Next couple of weeks we will see how "good" our defense is.
I expect it to be very good. Built in excuses next week are expected after another win.

The team will get there. Especially the LB's.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
We can pixx and moan to hell and back but at the end of the day, this is stat from last year that kept our D strong last year. Not sure if any remember but I've posted in many threads, how this is one of Belichick's most important stat for his D. As he put it, if your opponent scoring, you'll win a bunch of game.

Amazing what kind of dumpster fire stats Eli, Keenam and Rosen can produce.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yea Roy, watch the whole game ....lol

My point is keeping team scoring down was our MO last year and it worked pretty darn good. I mean teams can march up and down the field plenty but if they are not scoring it doesn't matter. So this most important for us is in the same as last year so far. Besides, our own offensive issues in the red-zone last year proves the importance of scoring.

Personally, I was not impressed with the defense. I thought Quinn did apply some nice pressure from the other side, but it was not up to snuff. Especially against an offense as challenged as the Phins.

YOu can also see quite plainly that the secondary is seriously lacking play makers. Plenty of opportunities for picks and they whiffed.

The secondary also had a bad night in coverage. Linebackers also continue to play below their potential.

Missed 37 yard FG and fumble on the 5 also contributed to the low scoring.

Sydla

Reaction score
We can pixx and moan to hell and back but at the end of the day, this is stat from last year that kept our D strong last year. Not sure if any remember but I've posted in many threads, how this is one of Belichick's most important stat for his D. As he put it, if your opponent scoring, you'll win a bunch of game.

That’s great and all but we played three blah teams to start the year.

You can only play the teams on the schedule but this is a case where stats probably isn’t painting a total picture.

The sky is not falling but I am not sure this D is playing at the same level they were last year.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
I hope the defense plays like they did against the Saints last year. Suffocating. They were aggressive. That is what I want to see.