On The Clock: Zach Allen

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
IMO, he's gone long before 58 but whatever. To be honest, I don't really see it in Allen. I mean, there is no question that a lot of NFL teams like him but why?
He is consistent. Sometimes teams value that more than flash.

I don't love the player. But if we drafted him at 58, I would be all

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I like Allen a good bit. I’d be okay with him at 58 because I like his game at the 3-tech.

10 years ago, I didn’t trust the Cowboys scouting process for crap... now though I do trust them. They’ve proven they know what they’re doing for the most part (Taco notwithstanding).

If they think Allen could help the DL rotation, I trust them. It helps that I do think he’ll be good. He’s very under rated, IMO. His athleticism would be really high for a DT.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think the general underlying notion is to hope we get a 1st round type talent to drop to us, but the reality is our top pick (#58) is closer to being a 3rd round pick than a 1st rounder.

I’d be fine if grabbed Allen at 58. I think he projects well inside and shows the ability to play outside as welll. He’s very active against the run making a ton of plays behind the LOS.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think the general underlying notion is to hope we get a 1st round type talent to drop to us, but the reality is our top pick (#58) is closer to being a 3rd round pick than a 1st rounder.

I’d be fine if grabbed Allen at 58. I think he projects well inside and shows the ability to play outside as welll. He’s very active against the run making a ton of plays behind the LOS.

I like Allen, but the athleticism worries me. IMO he almost has to play inside at the next level to have a shot of being successful and his tape is limited inside so the projection worries me.

S and DT make the most sense to me as the class is loaded and someone will fall that will be able to quickly help our roster in the short term and long term.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His combine performance says otherwise in about everything...
Crawford had slightly better numbers in all of the performance measurable(s).

Allen did weigh 6 pounds more. At the exact weight their performance would likely be almost identical other than Crawford benching more.

Allen has slightly longer arms (34-3/4" vs 33-3/4").

I would be OK drafting Allen but he doesn't seem like the type of DL the Cowboys really need. They already have tweeners Crawford and Hyder. Taco could also be considered a tweener or Strong-Side only type DE.

I would like to draft a big 3-tech DT or a true DE.

morasp

Reaction score
I think he's probably at the top of the list of DEs they're looking at to move inside to 3T. Collier, Omenihu, Cominsky, and Jackson are also probably on the list.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
IMO, he's gone long before 58 but whatever. To be honest, I don't really see it in Allen. I mean, there is no question that a lot of NFL teams like him but why?

Take a guy like Ominehu, who is not nearly regarded as highly, why is Allen regarded so highly?

Physically, Allen is:

6'4" 281 lbs., 5.0 forty, 32" vert, 112" broad, 7.34 3cone, 4.36 twenty.

Physically, Ominehu is:

6'5" 280 lbs., 4.92 forty, 36.5" vert, 115" broad, 7.48 3cone, 4.36 twenty.

Over each players career, Allen has the better career stats but if you look at last year, keep in mind that both are SRs, Allen hand more tackles but Ominehu had more sacks and tackles for loss. I mean, I don't understand why Allen is viewed so much more highly then is Omenihu. I think Omenihu could be a 4th round pick or lower, possibly.

Agreed, i would love Willis over both. Neither of the the guys would have a set position much like crawford. Id like a guy who is going to be a fulltime DT. Dallas doesnt need a DE hybrid type. They could convert Charlton to that role if they want one. And they also now have Kerry who fits that role aswell.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Crawford had slightly better numbers in all of the performance measurable(s).

Allen did weigh 6 pounds more. At the exact weight their performance would likely be almost identical other than Crawford benching more.

Allen has slightly longer arms (34-3/4" vs 33-3/4").

I would be OK drafting Allen but he doesn't seem like the type of DL the Cowboys really need. They already have tweeners Crawford and Hyder. Taco could also be considered a tweener or Strong-Side only type DE.

I would like to draft a big 3-tech DT or a true DE.

Yea, give me ANY DT that can turn into a starter or a more natural DE instead of Allen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Agreed, i would love Willis over both. Neither of the the guys would have a set position much like crawford. Id like a guy who is going to be a fulltime DT. Dallas doesnt need a DE hybrid type. They could convert Charlton to that role if they want one. And they also now have Kerry who fits that role aswell.

There are a lot of interesting DLs in this draft but if we are going DT, I'd rather take a guy who is going to be an impact player and not a rotational type guy. Either way, there are a lot of guys we could use in this draft. With regards to Taco and to lessor extent, Kerry, if we are going to continue down the path of rotational "hybrid type" guys, I say draft these guys often because it makes more sense to go young and pay less then it does to pay for vet guys to do that job. JMO

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Finally somebody understands what the number 58 pick in the draft really means. The draftnicks are saying there is only 14-15 first round grades in this draft. We would be lucky to get a solid rotation player in this draft at 58. The Cowboys are smart. We will draft the best player regardless of position. Just look at the 30 visits. The team knows there will be a run on safeties and pass rushers. Dont be surprised if the pick is a TE, CB, RB, or offensive tackle.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
There are a lot of interesting DLs in this draft but if we are going DT, I'd rather take a guy who is going to be an impact player and not a rotational type guy. Either way, there are a lot of guys we could use in this draft. With regards to Taco and to lessor extent, Kerry, if we are going to continue down the path of rotational "hybrid type" guys, I say draft these guys often because it makes more sense to go young and pay less then it does to pay for vet guys to do that job. JMO

While i agree in the impact player, its hard to do that with a pick thats basically graded as a 3rd round pick. This is the type of player you end up getting. There are times when a gem just takes off but thats not the norm. On guys like Kerry, Covington, Cobb and lloka i think Dallas signed them as insurance incase they didnt get what they wanted in th draft and are out of luck like they were in 2018 when Witten retired and Philly took the TE Dallas was gonna draft.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
While i agree in the impact player, its hard to do that with a pick thats basically graded as a 3rd round pick. This is the type of player you end up getting. There are times when a gem just takes off but thats not the norm. On guys like Kerry, Covington, Cobb and lloka i think Dallas signed them as insurance incase they didnt get what they wanted in th draft and are out of luck like they were in 2018 when Witten retired and Philly took the TE Dallas was gonna draft.

This is a really deep draft Defensively. You could easily get a guy who, in other years, might carry a 1st round grade in the second. That could easily happen this year. Not saying it will but it easily could. Hopefully, we see some talent drop to us.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
This is a really deep draft Defensively. You could easily get a guy who, in other years, might carry a 1st round grade in the second. That could easily happen this year. Not saying it will but it easily could. Hopefully, we see some talent drop to us.
Hopefully but I think where Dallas is dragging the dL talent will be on par with the end of the 2nd Ed. Think if you want value u do te or wr