One oddsmaker has Jason Garrett as ninth-most likely to be first head coach fired

JustChip

Reaction score
The question is not whether there are better coaches out there than Garrett. No one has asserted he's the best HC. And while some have asserted he's the worst, that is incorrect.

Would you rather have Reid, Tomlin or any HC with a good playoff record? Of course you would but that is not the choice. The choice is Garrett or an unknown HC that fits the requirements, should he get canned.

If you are going to compare coaches that could have done better, is it not fair to do the opposite? He's not the worst we could get just like Booger is not the worst GM. When anyone takes the extreme position, it really weakens the argument.

I do not see how anyone can really discuss this subject without considering the circumstances of his employment, They are not two separate issues, they are conjoined.

As Big Tuna says, you are what your record says you are. Jason Garrett is better than same, not as good as some, and relatively the same as some. He has strengths (yes, contrary to the emotional hyperbole espoused by most on here, he does have strengths) and weaknesses, both of which are different than every other coach. That's no different than every other human being.

I think Jason can lead this team to a Super Bowl, but can't guarantee it. By the same token, I don't care who replaces him, I wouldn't be able to guarantee that coach could either. I will say though that Jason's skills may be in building a roster and culture to prepare the team for the next level, but isn't what is needed to take them there. It's similar to an entrepreneurial skillset is right for growing a fledgling business and taking it to a certain level, but that same individual isn't what's needed when the business matures.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You're not wrong, but the odds of Jerry hiring any of those "great coaches" after Garrett are slim. Most of us know what kind of coach works for Jerry. That's why it'll be someone no one else would dream of promoting (Campo), someone with Dallas ties but no HC experience who specifically wants to coach the Cowboys (Garrett), or a failed head coach desperate for another shot (Wade).

All of those types will let Jerry be Jerry without a fuss. "Great coaches" (Jimmy, Parcells) quickly grew tired of his shenanigans. Current "great coaches" are already getting paid and know what Jerry brings with him - they don't need it.

Whatever that may be, Garrett needs to go.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No, they usually do it themselves. Remember genius Tomlins decision to go for an onsides kick last year against the Jags in the playoffs with over 2 mins remaining and 2 TO’s? Cowboys fans would have gone ape if that was JG but hey, he gets a free pass accordding to some.

What about when the immature Peyton ran onto the field against the Falcons on 3rd down and possinly lost his team the game by drawing a flag?

I can continue to go on, as I’m sure you can with JG but again, they point is they all make mistakes.

Who gave tomlin a pass for that stupid call? I didnt hear anyone.

GenoT

Reaction score
Isn't that kind of a weird bet to make? Like you are either betting on the rare in-season firing (not going to happen) or you are betting that Jerry gets out of bed earlier than anyone else on Black Monday.
...“rare in-season firing”...

You mean like in 2010, when 1-7 Wade got fired and Garrett was promoted to his current position?

JustChip

Reaction score
I think some of our fans would gladly take 2-14 this season if it got Garrett fired, even without knowing who Jerry would hire next.

Then they, with all due respect to them, are severely misguided. I have never and could never purposely pull for the Cowboys to fail, for whatever reason. However, if they do go 2-14, I'll look at why and what could be gained for the betterment of the team, but that's the same I'd do if they went 14-2 and failed to win a Super Bowl.

aria

Reaction score
Who gave tomlin a pass for that stupid call? I didnt hear anyone.
My point is that was one of several, that’s just the most recent one I recall. You had mentioned what other coaches let others make stupid calls so I pointed out a highly thought of coach that makes plenty of stupid calls on a somewhat regular basis.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think so...there are a few on here that are very vocal about hating Garrett but there is no guarantee who replaces him will be any better.

I would say more want to see Garrett succeed and the team succeed.

Tanking or hoping we lose for change is the antithesis of being a fan hoping for the best for the team
[Bold] Agreed. At some point, Jerry Jones will make a decision concerning Jason Garrett. Jones may fire Garrett. Although unlikely, he may demote him. He may even promote him into some pseudo front office position as a means of retaining his services while filling the vacancy with his successor.

All told, Garrett's fate is 100% in Jones' hands. While hoping for Garrett's firing can positively affect a fan's personal self-esteem, it has zero impact on changing either the franchise's day-to-day affairs or the team's on-the-field results.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My point is that was one of several, that’s just the most recent one I recall. You had mentioned what other coaches let others make stupid calls so I pointed out a highly thought of coach that makes plenty of stupid calls on a somewhat regular basis.

What does that have to do with Garrett that makes rookie mistake still in his 8th year? That makes the same mistakes over and over again. That makes blunder after blunder? What has Garrett done to get a free pass or a break? Not much.

At least Tomlin could get a little applaus for having some stones. Garrett has none.

JustChip

Reaction score
I'd rather take the unknown HC. The Eagles could have had that mentality to convince themselves to stick with Chip Kelly. They didn't, got a new HC, and are hoisting a superbowl trophy.

The difference with Chip Kelly and the Iggles is he was sowing discord both in the locker room and the front office. That's what got him fired more so than what his results. That's not the case here with Jason.

Sydla

Reaction score
Go through my list again, I would agree that 7 years is a lot to normally give a coach but look at every year. I would also normally think a coach would have to deal with as much bs minus the Browns, Jets, Bills and maybe a few others I’m forgetting.

Assuming he didn’t have a QB blow the Commanders game as epically as Tony did he would have made the playoffs. Assuming Romo was healthy for the other two “win and in” playoff implicated games and he didn’t blow it like he did in the Commanders game that would have been two more playoff years for a total of 3 in addition to the other two he already has, for a grand total of 5 out of 7. I don’t think that’s really going out on a limb, that is straight up bad luck as a HC that few HC’s have had to face as much as he has. Add in Jerrah breathing down his neck about every little thing and it’s hard to see how any coach would have been more successful.

Look if you want to think he’s a really good coach who has had more bad luck than most other quality coaches, have at it.

Eventually one of us will be proven right. Although whose to say Garrett could spit the bit here for three more years and you might still be screaming he’s had bad luck.

At this point, he has to be the unluckiest, or one of the unluckiest, coaches in the history of the NFL.

aria

Reaction score
What does that have to do with Garrett that makes rookie mistake still in his 8th year? That makes the same mistakes over and over again. That makes blunder after blunder? What has Garrett done to get a free pass or a break? Not much.

At least Tomlin could get a little applaus for having some stones. Garrett has none.
I didn’t realize Tomlin was a rookie coach as well, my apologies. Having stones? He’s probably cost his team more games and opportunities then won with his careless gambles. Again, would you like me to give more examples of Tomlins blunders, I’m sure a simple google search will bring up more then enough. He pretty much cost his team a trip to the Super Bowl with that idiotic decision but you’re right “at least he has the stones”. Most Pittsburgh fans I know don’t agree.

aria

Reaction score
Look if you want to think he’s a really good coach who has had more bad luck than most other quality coaches, have at it.

Eventually one of us will be proven right. Although whose to say Garrett could spit the bit here for three more years and you might still be screaming he’s had bad luck.

At this point, he has to be the unluckiest, or one of the unluckiest, coaches in the history of the NFL.
I would say he’s above average bordering top 10, maybe somewhere between 10-15 at worst. I already told you that barring any major setbacks/injuries and if he doesn’t make the playoffs then I won’t be crying if they fire him but I’m not so confident whatever other puppet they find will be any better and could very well be worse.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would say he’s above average bordering top 10, maybe somewhere between 10-15 at worst. I already told you that barring any major setbacks/injuries and if he doesn’t make the playoffs then I won’t be crying if they fire him but I’m not so confident whatever other puppet they find will be any better and could very well be worse.

I’d say 12-15 sounds about right for me.

And 12-15 is not good enough for me nor should it be for the franchise that holds itself to be one of the elite and core franchises in the NFL.

It’s put up or get out time for Garrett if I were in charge. No excuses this year.

aria

Reaction score
I’d say 12-15 sounds about right for me.

And 12-15 is not good enough for me nor should it be for the franchise that holds itself to be one of the elite and core franchises in the NFL.

It’s put up or get out time for Garrett if I were in charge. No excuses this year.
It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at the schedule but that sounds about right. Not really directly related to Garrett but I have quite a few questions about some of our personnel, I think some of our fans are a little to optimistic about some of our players at this point in their career.

I’m hoping they go back to 2016 and control the clock by running the hell out of the ball. With Connor and Fleming, our O line should have more depth and be close to 2016. Hopefully the D is better than 2016 but I need to see some consistency to be sold on some of those guys.

With the run game in full effect, that also takes a lot of pressure off of Dak so I expect him to have a good season.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
for the cowboys to win a championship it will take reallygood qb play and really good coaching zeke can do all he can do but for this team to go to the next level the qb and the coaches have to up there game big time

Mannix

Reaction score
On the flip side, Vegas gave The Clapping Carrot the best odds of wearing a Bat Utility Belt whilst talking into a dead mic.[/QUOTE]