One of the biggest problems for Jerry is Fan Apathy

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No apathy here and none from the Cowboys fans I know. The people I know IRL are still excited for this team and think if they can stay healthy they could be dangerous. Personally, I’m worried but Sunday will go a long way to deciding how I feel about this team.

I don’t feel like I see apathy from the fans on this forum. I see a lack of patience and a particular saltiness over the disappointment of week 1.
The disappointment I believe many long time fans feel is way more than week one. It’s a 23 year and counting drought that is the responsibility of one man who refuses to run this franchise in the best way to win championships.

Put it this way...I hear fans often recommend a new coach to replace Garrett. And I’m sick of Garrett too. But replacing the HC around here without changing the way this organization is run is like appointing a new captain of the Titanic. The ship is going down regardless of who’s captain. What we need is a new ship and a new course that doesn’t include icebergs. Btw- the team’s winning championships this century don’t do things “the Jerry way”.

Let's get a new ship! Which means, let’s do things the right way. Let’s let football people run the football side of things and let Jerry make money. It’s the only thing he’s good at.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It seems like a big problem for Jerry is the ever increasing fan apathy.
It is palpable on this forum, which is populated with once Die-hard fans such as myself.
Now there is a great sense of Whatever among the posters.
I think getting older may have something to do with it just realizing that it's just a football game and not worth over-prioritizing it above other parts of life.
A big part is just seeing the futility and or mediocrity we've been mired in for almost a quarter century.
It wears you down over time and causes you to get to a point where you're not as invested anymore.
Us die hard fans who remember past glory have been so beat down that we are numb.
The newer younger fans dont' know any better.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fan resignation leads to apathy. You can't have people getting their hopes up, some going so far as to sell themselves, and being disappointed time and time again without some fallout. People condition themselves, they galvanize against disappointment eventually.

They are still fans as rabid as ever because they get off on that as much as the team delivering. That's a conscious choice to be that way.

Just look at how many posters we've had over the years succumb to this. They pay the negative forward to guard against another let down.

"Tell me why it will be different this time"? How often have you felt that in a post?

When it comes to the Cowboys, I have become comfortably numb. Except to the off field crap and everything not football, that's the only thing that evokes emotion, usually anger and disgust.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
It is palpable on this forum, which is populated with once Die-hard fans such as myself.
I think getting older may have something to do with it just realizing that it's just a football game and not worth over-prioritizing it above other parts of life.
A big part is just seeing the futility and or mediocrity we've been mired in for almost a quarter century.
It wears you down over time and causes you to get to a point where you're not as invested anymore.

Fan apathy is a Problem of fans not of owners.

Look up forbes and you know everything about JJs "problems". He has none.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fan resignation leads to apathy. You can't have people getting their hopes up, some going so far as to sell themselves, and being disappointed time and time again without some fallout. People condition themselves, they galvanize against disappointment eventually.

They are still fans as rabid as ever because they get off on that as much as the team delivering. That's a conscious choice to be that way.

Just look at how many posters we've had over the years succumb to this. They pay the negative forward to guard against another let down.

"Tell me why it will be different this time"? How often have you felt that in a post?

When it comes to the Cowboys, I have become comfortably numb. Except to the off field crap and everything not football, that's the only thing that evokes emotion, usually anger and disgust.

If people are going negative and posting there negativity here, how is that apathy? Being upset and taking the time to post about it is not the action of someone who doesn’t care and has no interest.

32BellyOption

Reaction score

I’m still a fan and hope they win but I’m not as emotionally vested as I once was. I’m numb to the ineptitude and expect failure. The bar will remain set low as long as JG is our coach. There’s not another team in the league that would hire him as their head coach but here he is after years of mediocrity.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yep, you are just worn down. Same old sad nonense. One or two things go wrong and this team falls apart. Coaching is horrid. Just get tired of it. If these guys were like the Rams or winning big you would be all in it.

Lack of hope will do that for you. Until at least Garrett is gone, I can have no real hope for a championship in Dallas.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Dallas is that girl you love sooo much,and desperately want things to be great with,who keeps breaking dates with you at the last minute.
We all want to root for them,and believe in them with all our fiber,but they won’t give us a chance to do so. Of course people are going to be apathetic,disheartened and cynical ..it gets old having the air let out of your tire. Like when I think of big wins over the last whatever years...only two games come to mind. The Sea game in 2014,and the Pitt game in 2016. That’s the only times I said....”Now that’s legitimate elite caliber football right there.” You can’t spend decades teasing the fan base and expect unbridled enthusiasm at this point. Forget SB’s,all most folks are asking for now is to at least stop with the constant letdowns,and the horrible ways in which they do it.

Praxit

Reaction score
Well, after 20 something yrs of last SB appearance and rollercoaster events within Dallas. That old confirmation bias has been set up. Nothing is new under the sun of Jerry's world.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Whatever fan apathy that’s present, I have no doubt in my mind that it is only synonymous with the fans that had the pleasure of rooting for the cowboys pre1996. For ones like me that came aboard during the Chan Gailey years,there’s no apathy. Y’all are spoiled because y’all saw Superbowl teams. Romo is the best cowboys QB I’ve witnessed. For the ones with apathy, he’s not even in your top3.
Spoiled? Oh my gosh I would much rather be you with no memories or personnel frame of referance,than to be us older guys who must wander about in a never ending nightmare of torture. That’s what it is for us too...cold inhumane psychological torture. At least with you guys,there’s not much humiliation in it all,because they’ve been a bad joke the whole time,so there’s no sensitive nerves to prick with needles. While we have to sit here in our cells and watch allll our old rivals and media laugh at us and tease us,knowing there isn’t a darn thing we can do about it either,but throw two worthless wild card wins on the table in response. So be ever thankful you are you guys,and we are us,because we know what water tastes like and have been drinking sand ever since,whereas you all just know sand IS water,so it’s not so bad tasting.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The disappointment I believe many long time fans feel is way more than week one. It’s a 23 year and counting drought that is the responsibility of one man who refuses to run this franchise in the best way to win championships.

Put it this way...I hear fans often recommend a new coach to replace Garrett. And I’m sick of Garrett too. But replacing the HC around here without changing the way this organization is run is like appointing a new captain of the Titanic. The ship is going down regardless of who’s captain. What we need is a new ship and a new course that doesn’t include icebergs. Btw- the team’s winning championships this century don’t do things “the Jerry way”.

Let's get a new ship! Which means, let’s do things the right way. Let’s let football people run the football side of things and let Jerry make money. It’s the only thing he’s good at.

This!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Naw, it doesn’t wear me down. I get frustrated like everyone but just don’t let it turn me into a bitter fan.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think it might be more about the younger fan base. We have like two full generations now who have never seen a Cowboy Team win a Championship. Haven't even seen us play in a Conference Championship game. There was a thread on this a few days ago. Long story short, we have a younger fan base made up of people who have nothing to be invested in where the Cowboys are concerned. That is a problem for Jerry because a few more years of this and that's going to effect a lot of financial considerations IMO. At that point, Jerry will care a great deal, assuming he is still running things.
Good point. The younger fan base wants instant gratification and can’t handle being told no. They are the biggest whiners here I think.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I think it might be more about the younger fan base. We have like two full generations now who have never seen a Cowboy Team win a Championship. Haven't even seen us play in a Conference Championship game. There was a thread on this a few days ago. Long story short, we have a younger fan base made up of people who have nothing to be invested in where the Cowboys are concerned. That is a problem for Jerry because a few more years of this and that's going to effect a lot of financial considerations IMO. At that point, Jerry will care a great deal, assuming he is still running things.
Yep, I see them everywhere. They have no idea what a Super Bowl QB looks like.

Mannix

Reaction score
This is not an idle threat, in what I'm about to say....it is a promise. I have missed watching only ONE regular season game since moving to Dallas in 1986....I was in Cabo in September 1994 and the DISH went out in the hotel I was staying. If the team fails again this year and The Clapping Carrot is brought back, I am DONE....and I mean DONE. So go ahead and say that I'm not a true fan, or don't let the door hit you, or some other canned statement.....but enough is ***** enough!!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Me and mum don't buy into the fan apathy.
If you leave there are 10 other fans in line for tickets, merch and waiting to take a photo with our third-string TE.
Jerry has some problems. Fan apathy is not one of them.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This is not an idle threat, in what I'm about to say....it is a promise. I have missed watching only ONE regular season game since moving to Dallas in 1986....I was in Cabo in September 1994 and the DISH went out in the hotel I was staying. If the team fails again this year and The Clapping Carrot is brought back, I am DONE....and I mean DONE. So go ahead and say that I'm not a true fan, or don't let the door hit you, or some other canned statement.....but enough is ***** enough!!!
Wow. Since 1986.

ClintDagger

Reaction score

Week 1 is part of the last 23 years. No?