One of the Biggest Problems with Our Running Game

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Is it just me? Or does it seem like we're a run-to-set-up-the-pass team?

The Cowboys have done this forever as the league has passed them by.

It's a passing league, for a reason. And I get the reasons for running; it gives you lots of advantages like eating up the clock, TOP, wearing down the defense.

When teams play us, they seem to be keying in on the run more...

With the decline in production from our run game, wouldn't it be more prudent of us to pass in order to set up the run game?

I've been arguing this for a while now. They started doing for a few games, but I haven't seen much of that since..

Using that strategy could possibly help breathe some life into the running game.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

It's a passing league, for a reason. And I get the reasons for running; it gives you lots of advantages like eating up the clock, TOP, wearing down the defense.

With the decline in production from our run game, wouldn't it be more prudent of us to pass in order to set up the run game?

I've been arguing this for a while now. They started doing for a few games, but I haven't seen much of that since..

Using that strategy could possibly help breathe some life into the running game.
The Cowboys are not going to change their philosophy. That is why they brought Tyler and Ferguson in. The Cowboys want balance. The Cowboys have a strong defense and need to run the football. The Cowboys want to be more like the 49ers then Kansas City.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Most of the time Dallas calls a pass on first down and run on 2nd down if it is incomplete.

Sure that type of predictably doesn't help.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

100% agree, especially on 1st down.

ESisback

Reaction score
We had continuity problems with our OL, plus I believe they gave Dak too much control to audible out of called plays. Kellen Moore? Not allowed to be completely himself. Influenced by Garrett, influenced by McCarthy, controlled by Jerry (so far). Add a soft culture of entitled players, and the combined entirety of these factors made us lose to SF. IMO.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys are a pass first offense. Everything revolves around Dak and our receivers, which is a big change from when he first came into the league with Zeke. The OL and Zeke have regressed over the past 3 seasons. Plus the defense has never been good enough for us to be a run first team. We give up too many chunk plays and have difficulty making critical stops. We’re put in too many situations where we have to throw the ball. Penalties is another reason for this. We get put behind the chains a lot with stupid penalties.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

our Offense and QB are slow starting type and so that plan won’t work.

conner01

Reaction score
69 penalties on offense is a huge factor
You can’t run the ball when you have first and 15, or you get a first overturned
Perception is not always reality
We actually was really good Passing on first down

ondaedg

Reaction score
The Cowboys are a pass first offense. Everything revolves around Dak and our receivers, which is a big change from when he first came into the league with Zeke. The OL and Zeke have regressed over the past 3 seasons. Plus the defense has never been good enough for us to be a run first team. We give up too many chunk plays and have difficulty making critical stops. We’re put in too many situations where we have to throw the ball. Penalties is another reason for this. We get put behind the chains a lot with stupid penalties.

Agreed. Run first teams don’t go very far into the playoffs unless you’re the 2013 Seahawks or 2000 Ravens. And those types of defenses are all but extinct.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

Even in the 90s we set up the run with the pass first. Running game closed it out. Romos best year in 2014 same thing.

Hardline

Reaction score
The Cowboys are a running team first that's not very good at it.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:hammer:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

We ran the ball more effectively when we had 2 passing threats at te.

When Jarwin got hurt the run game hit an iceberg. Some of that is predictability imo.

Praxit

Reaction score

..when our run game works, everything works. Its that simple. I think all teams do this.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
How is a bunch of stick routes going to open up rushing lanes? The 49ers DB's were just standing at the sticks almost every third down. Normally your plan would work, but not with these guys. Moore is Garrett reincarnated.

You run guys over the middle, you play action, you pump fake out and up, and burn them deep, reverses, fakes etc..

I think Moore will eventually become more acclimated to the NFL.