One of the first guys we need to go after

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually more doable than you think.....Adding a couple more mills per year of Byron's $14-15M, could get you Phillips AND Quinn. ANY concerns/questions about Kinlaw's knee drops him from the top 15 IMO.

I hope you're right!
:thumbup:

I did map out a similar scenario in my offseason plan thread where I was able to sign both Quinn and Phillips. Cutting Crawford gives you $7-$8 million more to do that too, which I would do in a heartbeat. This team wasted $10 million of cap space for that guy last year, and that should be the last dime they ever waste.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me too. I wonder if with a new sheriff in town they'll look elsewhere or just go back to Sean Lee for a plan b for injury concerns for LVE.

Would like another solid vet and another LB taken maybe early in day 3(depending on the draft).

Like LVE and hope he can play for another decade but man that prognosis has me concerned even short term

I think Sean Lee will be back with the Cowboys for 2020.

Carson

Reaction score
Respect for thinking outside of the box.

I fully expected to see one of the following

- Chris Jones
- Tom Brady

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
well whatever we do, the moves mike makes on players will show what he's wanting to do. i'm all for some churning of the roster also to coincide with our coaching changes. i feel good about the hire at this point and the room he's been given to hire his own staff.

next up, the players. this guy sounds like someone to look into for sure.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well whatever we do, the moves mike makes on players will show what he's wanting to do. i'm all for some churning of the roster also to coincide with our coaching changes. i feel good about the hire at this point and the room he's been given to hire his own staff.

next up, the players. this guy sounds like someone to look into for sure.

I know many fans won't do it, but I think Jerry Jones is deserving of some credit here.

1. He finally conceded that Jason Garrett would never be the end coach that he always hoped he could become and cut bait.
  2. He went out and hired the best available coach that he could for this team.
  3. He then allowed that guy to hire the coaching staff that he wanted, keeping the coaches he wants and getting rid of anyone he doesn't.
  4. He then signed off on the checks for this huge staff, and what is expected to be a huge analytics staff as well.
Jerry is showing that he wants to win with this team. Now. And I expect this same aggressive approach to carry over into the offseason and free agency and the draft.

And I think the much-maligned, though often deserved, Jerry Jones deserves a fair amount of credit for what he's now doing.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
And I think the much-maligned, though often deserved, Jerry Jones deserves a fair amount of credit for what he's now
I know many fans won't do it, but I think Jerry Jones is deserving of some credit here.

1. He finally conceded that Jason Garrett would never be the end coach that he always hoped he could become and cut bait.
  2. He went out and hired the best available coach that he could for this team.
  3. He then allowed that guy to hire the coaching staff that he wanted, keeping the coaches he wants and getting rid of anyone he doesn't.
  4. He then signed off on the checks for this huge staff, and what is expected to be a huge analytics staff as well.
Jerry is showing that he wants to win with this team. Now. And I expect this same aggressive approach to carry over into the offseason and free agency and draft.

And I think the much-maligned, though often deserved, Jerry Jones deserves a fair amount of credit for what he's now doing.

.[/QUOTE]

Just me but I'm 100% confident this will carry over to draft and free agency. I honestly think Jerry and Stephen decided to hire a guy with extensive post-season experience ( Super Bowl ), give him a blank check and get out of his way. His only condition was agreeing to Dak getting a long-term deal with a min 3 years guaranteed. With Mike's 5 year deal, this would give 2 years to decide if Dak can get him a Super Bowl. If not they'll quietly look for his replacement. But make no mistake, hiring Mike is ALL about getting to the Super Bowl. Hell Jason won, just his ceiling was first level playoff. They wanted a guy who's done it all. Get out of his way and let him do his thing.......

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Actually more doable than you think.....Adding a couple more mills per year of Byron's $14-15M, could get you Phillips AND Quinn. ANY concerns/questions about Kinlaw's knee drops him from the top 15 IMO.
I don't see any reason they can't go after some higher level FA's and still resign most of our guys. If you could add a guy like Phillips & keep Quinn, I would consider that a pretty successful start to your 2020 DL.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Is this guy right here.

Anatomy of a Player: Joe Schobert | Browns Countdown - YouTube
  1. I have followed this kid since he was a standout on some pretty dominant Badger defenses as a young college player. He's a YOUNG healthy Sean Lee without all the injury problems. Never really got the recognition from the masses he deserves IMO. Kind of a sleepy looking dude, but I tell ya what, you pop in the game...and BANG...he shows up all over the field. Makes plays everywhere. Can bring the thump, cover in space too, good pass rusher, causes turnovers with big hits or in coverage. Great football IQ, really sees the field. You move Jaylon outside WHERE HE SHOULD BE IN THE FIRST PLACE and slide this kid inside and you have somethin going for you on defense now. A no nonsense guy that can run a defense from the middle. Another coach on the field, QB of the defense guy that we sorely need and have been lacking,.. TO SAY THE LEAST.
look thats a nice idea but thats not happening the defensive line and DBs are a mess meaning many FAs have to be signed or replaced and they just invested in LVE and Jsmith

this is not going to be a #1 priority as they can find viable candidates in draft or FA but at the less expensive tier..weve let guys like Hitch go because we have already have invested in the postion at 2 spots so the 3rd/4th spots will be guys like Thomas or others..didnt we just grab that guy late in the season from Seatle? he looked solid he and Lee most likely are rounding out the LB position bring back Thomas possibly..

johneric8

Reaction score
Im a Cowboys fan too! Thing is, what Scho has done on the field, the impact he's made, the numbers he's put up and the difference he,s made has nothing to do with my bias. He is right now better than any linebacker that we currently have IMO. We need more REAL leaders and a whole lot less CLOWNS if we ever want to actually be anything. I am soooooo sick to death of the laughing ,grinning , I GOT MINE , parade of clowns that we have had to put up with over the years. REAL leadership in deeds is whats needed and a whole lot less talk!
I can relate to you with the homerism.... I'm Catholic which makes me a Cooper rush fan... I told everyone what a stud he was going to be as well. :thumbup:

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Is this guy right here.

Anatomy of a Player: Joe Schobert | Browns Countdown - YouTube
  1. I have followed this kid since he was a standout on some pretty dominant Badger defenses as a young college player. He's a YOUNG healthy Sean Lee without all the injury problems. Never really got the recognition from the masses he deserves IMO. Kind of a sleepy looking dude, but I tell ya what, you pop in the game...and BANG...he shows up all over the field. Makes plays everywhere. Can bring the thump, cover in space too, good pass rusher, causes turnovers with big hits or in coverage. Great football IQ, really sees the field. You move Jaylon outside WHERE HE SHOULD BE IN THE FIRST PLACE and slide this kid inside and you have somethin going for you on defense now. A no nonsense guy that can run a defense from the middle. Another coach on the field, QB of the defense guy that we sorely need and have been lacking,.. TO SAY THE LEAST.
meh

Sydla

Reaction score
What are you planning to do with LVE?

Schobert is a luxury, not a need, unless there is something going on with LVE that we don't know about in terms of his neck injury/surgery.

visionary

Reaction score
In my opinion, Phillips has all of the physical tools and traits that you look for in the position. And he truly came into his own in Buffalo this year and looks like a player that's found himself and now knows what it takes to succeed. He had some bumps in the road early on in his career but it certainly looks like the light has come on for him.

If this team could someone field a starting defensive line of Lawrence-Phillips-Kinlaw-Quinn, I think they would be a force in a hurry!

(Wishful thinking I know!)

time to bring in a real difference maker at DT and Phillips could be that

if we get Kinlaw too, that would be amazing

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Wow, Schobert looks great! I totally agree with you @Hayseed . Schobert is definitely worth going after. Is he scheduled to become a free agent? As you said, he would be the perfect fit playing middle LB, while moving Jaylon to the outside as I've said for years. Jaylon is not a middle LB. Another of Marinelli's screwed up decisions that cost us! :mad: So glad Marinelli is finally gone.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dallas needs big time help up the middle at all 3 levels of the defense. DT, MLB and S. I like the idea but Dallas rarely lines up a base 4-3 defense. I bet 3 LBs are on the field <30% of the snaps. There has been some whispers of a switch to 3-4 because that is what Nolan has done in the past. I really think Edwards was brought in to help Nolan run a 4-3. They just don't have the personnel for a 3-4 defense at all. The transition could take a couple years and they are built to win now, hence Nolan working with Edwards will run a 4-3 base that will be 4-2-5 most of the time. They are fully committed to LVE and Smith as their LBs. LVE still might be able to be that middle of the field LB. Smith absolutely can not be that guy. Physically he can but mentally he is way too soft to play MLB. His only value is chasing plays down and freelancing to make plays. Asking him to be a gap filling, stay at home, responsible LB will be a disaster.

So while I agree that I like the player, I just don't think Dallas should spend the money unless they are going to replace Smith or LVE.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I like Schobert but he'd be too expensive for the role he'd play here, I think.

He's a bonafide starting, 3-down LBer. Dallas doesn't really have room for that type of guy, unless they really want to overpay for depth.