One of the first guys we need to go after

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hayseed, Jan 29, 2020.

1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

61,303 Messages
    67,545 Likes Received
    I hope you're right!
    :thumbup:

I did map out a similar scenario in my offseason plan thread where I was able to sign both Quinn and Phillips. Cutting Crawford gives you $7-$8 million more to do that too, which I would do in a heartbeat. This team wasted $10 million of cap space for that guy last year, and that should be the last dime they ever waste.

Mr_437, ChuckA1 and Hawkeye0202 like this.
  2. stasheroo

61,303 Messages
    67,545 Likes Received
    I think Sean Lee will be back with the Cowboys for 2020.

blueblood70, John813 and Hawkeye0202 like this.
  3. SeanLee50

SeanLee50 Well-Known Member

15,260 Messages
    24,474 Likes Received
    Respect for thinking outside of the box.

I fully expected to see one of the following

- Chris Jones
    - Tom Brady

Hayseed likes this.
  4. iceberg

iceberg rock music matters Zone Supporter

33,691 Messages
    6,881 Likes Received
    well whatever we do, the moves mike makes on players will show what he's wanting to do. i'm all for some churning of the roster also to coincide with our coaching changes. i feel good about the hire at this point and the room he's been given to hire his own staff.

next up, the players. this guy sounds like someone to look into for sure.

stasheroo likes this.
  5. stasheroo

61,303 Messages
    67,545 Likes Received
    I know many fans won't do it, but I think Jerry Jones is deserving of some credit here.

1. He finally conceded that Jason Garrett would never be the end coach that he always hoped he could become and cut bait.
    2. He went out and hired the best available coach that he could for this team.
    3. He then allowed that guy to hire the coaching staff that he wanted, keeping the coaches he wants and getting rid of anyone he doesn't.
    4. He then signed off on the checks for this huge staff, and what is expected to be a huge analytics staff as well.
    Jerry is showing that he wants to win with this team. Now. And I expect this same aggressive approach to carry over into the offseason and free agency and the draft.

And I think the much-maligned, though often deserved, Jerry Jones deserves a fair amount of credit for what he's now doing.

6. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

9,211 Messages
    15,800 Likes Received
    And I think the much-maligned, though often deserved, Jerry Jones deserves a fair amount of credit for what he's now
    .[/QUOTE]

Just me but I'm 100% confident this will carry over to draft and free agency. I honestly think Jerry and Stephen decided to hire a guy with extensive post-season experience ( Super Bowl ), give him a blank check and get out of his way. His only condition was agreeing to Dak getting a long-term deal with a min 3 years guaranteed. With Mike's 5 year deal, this would give 2 years to decide if Dak can get him a Super Bowl. If not they'll quietly look for his replacement. But make no mistake, hiring Mike is ALL about getting to the Super Bowl. Hell Jason won, just his ceiling was first level playoff. They wanted a guy who's done it all. Get out of his way and let him do his thing.......

7. McKDaddy

McKDaddy Well-Known Member

1,839 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    I don't see any reason they can't go after some higher level FA's and still resign most of our guys. If you could add a guy like Phillips & keep Quinn, I would consider that a pretty successful start to your 2020 DL.

Hawkeye0202 likes this.
  8. blueblood70

blueblood70 Well-Known Member

9,658 Messages
    7,039 Likes Received
    look thats a nice idea but thats not happening the defensive line and DBs are a mess meaning many FAs have to be signed or replaced and they just invested in LVE and Jsmith

this is not going to be a #1 priority as they can find viable candidates in draft or FA but at the less expensive tier..weve let guys like Hitch go because we have already have invested in the postion at 2 spots so the 3rd/4th spots will be guys like Thomas or others..didnt we just grab that guy late in the season from Seatle? he looked solid he and Lee most likely are rounding out the LB position bring back Thomas possibly..

Mr_437 likes this.
  9. johneric8

johneric8 Well-Known Member

832 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    I can relate to you with the homerism.... I'm Catholic which makes me a Cooper rush fan... I told everyone what a stud he was going to be as well. :thumbup:

Hayseed likes this.
  10. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

2,772 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    meh

11. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

16,564 Messages
    18,954 Likes Received
    helluva player.
    love to have him here.

Hayseed likes this.
  12. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

40,349 Messages
    59,191 Likes Received
    What are you planning to do with LVE?

Schobert is a luxury, not a need, unless there is something going on with LVE that we don't know about in terms of his neck injury/surgery.

13. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

18,522 Messages
    17,379 Likes Received
    time to bring in a real difference maker at DT and Phillips could be that

if we get Kinlaw too, that would be amazing

ChuckA1 and stasheroo like this.
  14. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

9,954 Messages
    14,488 Likes Received
    Wow, Schobert looks great! I totally agree with you @Hayseed . Schobert is definitely worth going after. Is he scheduled to become a free agent? As you said, he would be the perfect fit playing middle LB, while moving Jaylon to the outside as I've said for years. Jaylon is not a middle LB. Another of Marinelli's screwed up decisions that cost us! :mad: So glad Marinelli is finally gone.

Hayseed likes this.
  15. ClappingCarrot

ClappingCarrot Well-Known Member

3,114 Messages
    8,593 Likes Received
    I like Schobert.

In addition to his prowess as a sure tackler, he has 3 times more career interceptions than Byron Jones.

Hayseed and 75boyz like this.
  16. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

6,701 Messages
    10,671 Likes Received
    Dallas needs big time help up the middle at all 3 levels of the defense. DT, MLB and S. I like the idea but Dallas rarely lines up a base 4-3 defense. I bet 3 LBs are on the field <30% of the snaps. There has been some whispers of a switch to 3-4 because that is what Nolan has done in the past. I really think Edwards was brought in to help Nolan run a 4-3. They just don't have the personnel for a 3-4 defense at all. The transition could take a couple years and they are built to win now, hence Nolan working with Edwards will run a 4-3 base that will be 4-2-5 most of the time. They are fully committed to LVE and Smith as their LBs. LVE still might be able to be that middle of the field LB. Smith absolutely can not be that guy. Physically he can but mentally he is way too soft to play MLB. His only value is chasing plays down and freelancing to make plays. Asking him to be a gap filling, stay at home, responsible LB will be a disaster.

So while I agree that I like the player, I just don't think Dallas should spend the money unless they are going to replace Smith or LVE.

conner01, Mr_437 and starfan1 like this.
  17. J-man

J-man Active Member

386 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    yeah but can they afford him?

18. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

4,098 Messages
    1,556 Likes Received
    :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

America's Cowboy likes this.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

23,419 Messages
    9,783 Likes Received
    I like Schobert but he'd be too expensive for the role he'd play here, I think.

He's a bonafide starting, 3-down LBer. Dallas doesn't really have room for that type of guy, unless they really want to overpay for depth.

Mr_437 likes this.
  20. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

9,010 Messages
    15,391 Likes Received
    He can replace LVE.....