One reason why Garrett keeps his job

robjay04

Reaction score
Over the last six seasons, the Cowboys are 26-10 in the division.

Only 4 of those losses came in games where we had our starting QB from start to finish and postseason aspirations.

Those are pretty astonishing numbers. We have done outstanding in winning the divisional games which is objective one for any coach. This is why we are usually always in it. Obviously we would trade the last 6 seasons with the Eagles based solely on last season but still...impressive.

Critics will say our division usually stinks but divisional games are always tough.

Just a stat I realized this morning and felt it may make for some discussion. Not a pro or anti Garrett thread.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He also had a pretty good road record until the start of this season. Which there were some different circumstances, like not have a #1 WR. Then after Cooper came in, the road wins came along.

Also what happened this year, was the home games became a HFA for once.
We didn't see the stadium over ran with opposing fans. The crowd noise seemed louder. Now it could be the home game opponents did not travel well as opponents in the past. We will see next season if they do. I do not recall any teams on the schedule that do. Maybe GB.

Prime21

Reaction score
Go 4-2 or better in division.
Beat sub .500 teams.
Lose to over .500 teams.

This has been the MO for Garrett so far. We are trending up though. I would have preferred a quicker rebuild but I like where the team is at and the direction looking a few years forward.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm not surprised at all.....I broke down his resume little while back. The thing that stood out to me was how his record looks like a see-saw (lol) since the three 8-8 seasons, great season followed by a bad season. Otherwords, it appears he's always at his best when his back's against the wall. He's a good coach. Not great but better than some fans give him credit.

visionary

Reaction score
A coach that gets you to relevant but not more in 10 years, is telling you that is who he is

You will be average with him
The reason a HC who has not reached the conf CG in the first 5 years never gets there is because that is who he is. If he had the ability to be better he would have done that in 10 years on the job

10 years !!

There used to be a self proclaimed 'Cowboy historian' on CZ who was a huge Garrett apologist and he would say that if Garrett stays for 10 years we will win multiple SBs

Well, how many have we won 10 years later?

I'm sure now he is coming up with new excuses to comfort himself

Fans find these sort of stats to excuse poor performance all the time. Marvin Lewis made the post season several times so I'm betting he had a pretty good conference record too.

What did he do in the post season

Gotta stop with the excuses and diversions

The objective of playing in the NFL is to win SBs

The reality is that we will NEVER win a SB with Garrett as HC

The reality is that THE ONLY reason he is HC of the Dallas Cowboys is because Jerry is comfortable with him

That is it

The rest is just window dressing

75boyz

Reaction score
A coach that gets you to relevant but not more in 10 years, is telling you that is who he is

The reason a HC who has not reached the conf CG in the first 5 years never gets there is because that is who he is. If he had the ability to be better he would have done that in 10 years on the job

10 years !!

There used to be a self proclaimed 'Cowboy historian' on CZ who was a huge Garrett apologist and he would say that if Garrett stays for 10 years we will win multiple SBs

Fans find these sort of stats to excuse poor performance all the time. Marvin Lewis made the post season several times so I'm betting he had a pretty good conference record too.

The reality is that THE ONLY reason he is HC of the Dallas Cowboys is because Jerry is comfortable with him

That is it

Cold, Hard, Truth.

silvrNblue

Reaction score

10 years !!

That is it

Bottnm line here is, the ole stigma about winning a SB in their first 5 years or never gonna sit's well with ole clap. Just look at the teams who went about changing the HC and where they are now in the league, 2 names off the top of my head Pederson and McVay... this team, no matter who is QB, RB WR TE et al, will never see the inside of a SB game under this HC. PERIOD.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Division stinks? I would argue the Pats division is worse. Does that make them any worse? Ummm no.

Little Jr

Reaction score

10 years !!

That is it

He was a historian but not always right. Lol he was right more than he was wrong and very knowledgeable of the game. The problem was when he was wrong it was hard for him to admit and he dug in.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Division stinks? I would argue the Pats division is worse. Does that make them any worse? Ummm no.

The division stunk this year, but that isn't always the case. A lot of years it is one of the stronger divisions.

3 playoff appearances, 2 playoff wins in 8 years and no nfc championship game is unacceptable. Not sure how people can continue to defend this.

I don't think the OP was saying the division success trumps all things, and that lack of playoff success doesn't matter.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

10 years !!

That is it

Let me ask you this......do you think Jerry ( the GM) affected his ability to be a better coach in the first few years.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go 4-2 or better in division.
Beat sub .500 teams.
Lose to over .500 teams.

This has been the MO for Garrett so far. We are trending up though. I would have preferred a quicker rebuild but I like where the team is at and the direction looking a few years forward.

This is the MO for just about every team that wins.

Pokes12

Reaction score
Over the last six seasons, the Cowboys are 26-10 in the division.

Only 4 of those losses came in games where we had our starting QB from start to finish and postseason aspirations.

Those are pretty astonishing numbers. We have done outstanding in winning the divisional games which is objective one for any coach. This is why we are usually always in it. Obviously we would trade the last 6 seasons with the Eagles based solely on last season but still...impressive.

Critics will say our division usually stinks but divisional games are always tough.

Just a stat I realized this morning and felt it may make for some discussion. Not a pro or anti Garrett thread.
You can sugar coat it all you want he is still an awful on field coach and never, ever adjusts or changes his game plan.

Little Jr

Reaction score
The division stunk this year, but that isn't always the case. A lot of years it is one of the stronger divisions.

I don't think the OP was saying the division success trumps all things, and that lack of playoff success doesn't matter.
Wasnt directed at the OP. He said it might make for discussion. My part of the discussion is, 3 play off appearances, 2 wins and not nfc championship games in 8 years. That's unacceptable and I can't see how people still defend the guy and there are one's who defend him.