One theory on why were not signing our guys now

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Again, You don't have to worry. Will McClay, Lionel Vital, Ciscowski, Judd Garrett, or Hall will find some cheap, previously injured, former top draft pick free agent that will fill in until they draft someone or replace someone they drafted who that they are not going to give a 3rd contract.

I do not see Jerry/Stephen giving Dak, Zeke, Cooper or Lawrence a extension until the 2019 season plays out and the Cowboys are playoff bound looking like a contender. Remember Troy and Emmitt 2nd deals did not happen until the tail end of the 1992 season (Troy) and the start of the 1993 seasons (Emmitt). Jerry tried to replace Emmitt Smith with Derrick Lassic to delay paying him.

The Deion Sanders (Jerry's deal) and dead money from the 90's contracts has Stephen Jones always frugal and under control.

Cowboys money is tighter than....well you know.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
who is going to trade for tank? who wants 17+ mill a year? and would be his last contract before he is ineffective? why should we trade him? what do we do at DE? and is the draft pick (unknown who at this time) is better than Tank? do you want to win superbowls? or get more draft picks?
So your saying the bears would trade for Khalil mack but nobody would trade for tank. ooooook

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
KC insiders are talking about the Chiefs going all in this year with Mahomes on his rookie deal. 2 firsts. I hope and pray it happens.

They have to before he gets signed for $200 million and takes up 25% or more of the team's annual salary cap.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I hate to agree with Mickey Spags but he is right on this. There is no way Tank's agent wants to be the first to sign a deal with all the other DEs that are tagged. He will wait so the others can set the market and then try beat that deal and not the other way around.

That's exactly it. Dallas is doing with DLaw exactly what they did with Dez Bryant. Use the tag to buy time, see what the exact market rate is (instead of setting the market like the agent wants) and then signing him at the last minute. With Dez's contract it literally came down to the last hour or two.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
We kinda get 2 next year.....since it is the last year of the CBA we get a Franchise Tag and a Transition Tag

They could FT Dak and Transition Tag BJones( which gives DAL the right to match any offer)

DLawrence will be gone or re-signed... no 3rd FT for him
ACooper most likely will have been extended
Zeke has a 5th year option
JSmith is a RFA
All great points.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
You don't have to sign the FT to facilitate trade talks...... all the parties can talk and work out long-term deals first.... once all parties are happy they sign the FT and execute the trade and extension
Someone should listen to this man.

heir

Reaction score
That's exactly it. Dallas is doing with DLaw exactly what they did with Dez Bryant. Use the tag to buy time, see what the exact market rate is (instead of setting the market like the agent wants) and then signing him at the last minute. With Dez's contract it literally came down to the last hour or two.
And once the market was set Dez and Demarius Thomas ended up signing the exact same deal

Kaiser

Reaction score
And once the market was set Dez and Demarius Thomas ended up signing the exact same deal

Exactly, and right now there are four or five DEs that could set the market. So it would crazy for either side to sign right now until you were the player and got an offer significantly higher than the current record.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Maybe were waiting till draft day to trade tank for a first. That gets him off the books. Then we sign our guys. "technically" it makes sense. Otherwise why are we dragging this out.

This is the last year of Garretts contract. If the FO really thinks about replacing him then the worst thing is to have all the players drafted under Garrett bound longterm to the franchise.

A new HC wants flexibility to establish his own way, his own players. He wants to decide which one to keep longterm.

So to wait one year to me is the logical decission here.

jnday

Reaction score
So we're going to trade the only quality def-lineman we have for a 1st round pick which is not guaranteed to become a stud player (Remember Taco) ya that makes total sense....:omg:
It is better than overpaying a player that disappears for several games at a time and also seems to have constant injuries hampering his play.

Flamma

Reaction score
KC insiders are talking about the Chiefs going all in this year with Mahomes on his rookie deal. 2 firsts. I hope and pray it happens.

Wait, what are the two firsts? I don't quite get this post. I think what I'm not understanding is the upside. Besides that, I'm pretty sure they'll wait to next season to sign him.

Flamma

Reaction score
hey could FT Dak and Transition Tag BJones( which gives DAL the right to match any offer)

I would Transition tag Dak and FT Jones. Or actually give Jones a contract. No team in this league is going to offer either of those players a contract under the FT. Very few players in this league are good enough. But maybe a few teams out there might offer Dak a contract under the Transition tag. Then we match that. Dallas would save money.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Maybe were waiting till draft day to trade tank for a first. That gets him off the books. Then we sign our guys. "technically" it makes sense. Otherwise why are we dragging this out.

A theory is just a theory until someone proves it wrong. The theory of relativity has stood the test of time, much like Jason Garrett. Hey, my theory is we're gonna trade Tank for Robert Quinn but it's just a theory. I hope it's proven wrong soon

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Looking at the 2018 season Demarcus Lawrence would be considered a stud DE if one merely focuses on the 10.5 sacks he amassed. But take a closer look at those numbers and this illusion that he is a stud or even deserving of money that is being bandied about for him. 5 of his 10.5 sacks came against 2 teams - The Giants and the Lions. In the regular season we played 4 playoff teams last year -

1. Philly (played 2 times) - Lawrence registered 0 sacks.
2. Saints - Lawrence registered 0 sacks.
3. Colts - Lawrence registered 0 sacks .
4 Seattle - 0.5 Sacks

0 sacks in the playoffs.