One theory on why were not signing our guys now

ghst187

Reaction score
I just think Lawrence has a really high opinion of himself and is unreasonable in negotiations.

Did his asking price go up?
He originally tweeted he wanted 20 mil per year, seemed relatively fair to me based on what other top pass rushers are getting...can’t think the guaranteed money was such a big deal where he felt “insulted”.....
Not sure what happened unless Stephen went at him with a 17 or 18 per year offer...?
You want a top pass rusher it’s going to cost you 20

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
A theory is just a theory until someone proves it wrong. The theory of relativity has stood the test of time, much like Jason Garrett. Hey, my theory is we're gonna trade Tank for Robert Quinn but it's just a theory. I hope it's proven wrong soon

That's an interesting theory. I hope you are wrong too, but kudos for being outside the box.

Reactions: CWR

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Looking at the 2018 season Demarcus Lawrence would be considered a stud DE if one merely focuses on the 10.5 sacks he amassed. But take a closer look at those numbers and this illusion that he is a stud or even deserving of money that is being bandied about for him. 5 of his 10.5 sacks came against 2 teams - The Giants and the Lions. In the regular season we played 4 playoff teams last year -

1. Philly (played 2 times) - Lawrence registered 0 sacks.
2. Saints - Lawrence registered 0 sacks.
3. Colts - Lawrence registered 0 sacks .
4 Seattle - 0.5 Sacks

0 sacks in the playoffs.

Wow. I'd say some of his other traits have value too, like QB pressures, taking double-teams, and the ability to play the run. But this is enlightening.

LittleD

Reaction score
who is going to trade for tank? who wants 17+ mill a year? and would be his last contract before he is ineffective? why should we trade him? what do we do at DE? and is the draft pick (unknown who at this time) is better than Tank? do you want to win superbowls? or get more draft picks?

Why worry about getting to the SB. The statistical odds are 2/32th for each team which is pretty low odds except for the Patriots who seem to be
a given each year as long as Belicheat and Brady are in charge. Our odds are pretty low.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
A theory is just a theory until someone proves it wrong. The theory of relativity has stood the test of time, much like Jason Garrett. Hey, my theory is we're gonna trade Tank for Robert Quinn but it's just a theory. I hope it's proven wrong soon
Hey if they throw in a 1st or 2nd im good. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe were waiting till draft day to trade tank for a first. That gets him off the books. Then we sign our guys. "technically" it makes sense. Otherwise why are we dragging this out.

We typically wait till the last minute to extend our big free agents with QB's excluded.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Maybe were waiting till draft day to trade tank for a first. That gets him off the books. Then we sign our guys. "technically" it makes sense. Otherwise why are we dragging this out.

I think the reason is 2 fold - Hubris and the carrying cost of a big, big boat.

Flamma

Reaction score
Did his asking price go up?
He originally tweeted he wanted 20 mil per year, seemed relatively fair to me based on what other top pass rushers are getting...can’t think the guaranteed money was such a big deal where he felt “insulted”.....
Not sure what happened unless Stephen went at him with a 17 or 18 per year offer...?
You want a top pass rusher it’s going to cost you 20

What other pass rushers are getting 20 Mil? You can't go by Mack since he had leverage. He literally could have asked for more and got it. Tank doesn't have that leverage. Are there 2 other pass rushers in this entire league making 20 mil per?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If he's not worth a first then he damb sure ain't worth the contract he's looking for. You can't have it both ways eather he's valuable or he's not.
he maybe worth the contract (not what he is asking, but a little less), given what DEs get today. but he may not be worth a first, since he is getting older and has had injuries. some teams in this deeper DL draft may think they can a get younger guy for two contracts. instead of giving up a first, paying the high price for one contract....meaning they can get a young player for next 8-10 years, vs. an expensive veteran for 4 more years. Khalil mack is first team all pro and difference maker, the type of player you build around. he single handedly turned around the Chicago defense.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why worry about getting to the SB. The statistical odds are 2/32th for each team which is pretty low odds except for the Patriots who seem to be
a given each year as long as Belicheat and Brady are in charge. Our odds are pretty low.
then if that's the approach you take, we shouldn't complain about team under achieving and not getting to the superbowl. seems like you are saying, superbowl shouldn't be our goal, since only 1 team (from NFC) is going to make it and probability is the same for all teams right now.....

so if superbowl is not the goal...what's the goal?

LittleD

Reaction score
then if that's the approach you take, we shouldn't complain about team under achieving and not getting to the superbowl. seems like you are saying, superbowl shouldn't be our goal, since only 1 team (from NFC) is going to make it and probability is the same for all teams right now.....

so if superbowl is not the goal...what's the goal?

Goals are fine but, realistic goals. It's been 24 years since we got there which doesn't bode well for the future.

LittleD

Reaction score
I feel your frustration. but just because you have failed, doesn't mean you don't try.

Stephen and & McClay are trying...They just aren't going to break the bank to sign named players who want big money. You can see their strategy of signing 1 or 2 year deals and with incentives. No real big money is going to be handed out to a non-Cowboy player.

ghst187

Reaction score
What other pass rushers are getting 20 Mil? You can't go by Mack since he had leverage. He literally could have asked for more and got it. Tank doesn't have that leverage. Are there 2 other pass rushers in this entire league making 20 mil per?

Aaron Donald and Mack got more than that.
Tank isn’t that caliber but he’s a upper eschelon player and someone will pay him close to what he’s asking if not us I would suspect.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Maybe because theres no rush as they are all under contract right now.