Twitter: One year ago today, Cowboys traded for Amari Cooper

Verdict

Reaction score

Great, great, trade.

And to think, nearly everyone was saying we gave up way too much.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news, driving back from court about 4 hours away from home. At the time I thought really good player, rich compensation, and it’s going to be a kick in the pills on our salary cap.

The traded pick ended up being a worse pick than I expected, he turned the team around almost single handedly. But his resigning is going to leave quite a mark. Much more than I expected.

If Richard stays it is probably going to be because of his perceived ability to select (draft) and coach up DBs, because I don’t see how we can pay Cooper a mega deal and Byron.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I said it then and I'll say it now. You only trade away a first round pick during the season if you think you are one piece away from a SB run.

We did it to save the season. And save Jason Garrett's job.

Neither of those reasons makes the cut.
This, this, and this. I enjoy having Cooper now, but the reality was the only reason we had to make this adjustment on the fly was because of the high water the people that built this team put us in.

The talk all off-season about making an offense "Dak-friendly" and seeing those results early on would've been enough for me to fire Garrett.

Verdict

Reaction score
One of the best trades in Cowboys history. I always have doubts when trading a 1st rd pick away but this has been a very good deal for Dallas and with a player who is still young and can help this team for a good while

Much better than the two #1’s we traded for Galloway and the two #1’s we traded for Roy Williams WR.

gmb1

Reaction score
I said it then and I'll say it now. You only trade away a first round pick during the season if you think you are one piece away from a SB run.

You have a point :huh:

Dallasfann

Reaction score
There’s some pure gold here:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/amari-cooper-traded-to-cowboys-merged.418243/

“Consider it a monumental failure if we gave up more than a 3rd round draft pick”.
lol

Just going through it and reading Sylda is pure gold. He was SOOO MAD. Lol, most of us posted one time with something like...****...oh well I'm over it. NOT him. SOO MAD hahah

As Usual I'm always trying to talk this fickle little fan base off the ledge.

If the Colts and Eagles both offered 2nd rounders then I beg to differ your 3rd round value assumption. I don't like the trade either but haters are blowing this WAY out of per portion. We were going to use a 1st round pick on a WR next year. They didn't think there was one better then Cooper. They also get to see how Dak does with a true #1. I really think they wanted to put pressure on Dak more then anything. Now we get 9 games this year to see how he does with an established #1 instead of hoping our 1st round next year becomes a number one.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Cowboys trade a 1st for Cooper. Patriots trade a 2nd for Sanu. Patriots got swindled on that deal.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I was concerned about his drops. Wasn't sure which Cooper we would be getting.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys trade a 1st for Cooper. Patriots trade a 2nd for Sanu. Patriots got swindled on that deal.

Not really. Sanu is a really good wr whose not being used in Atlanta. With Ryan out and the team 1-6, makes a lot of sense for both teams. Plus, how can you seriously doubt anything the Patriots do with a straight face?

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Not really. Sanu is a really good wr whose not being used in Atlanta. With Ryan out and the team 1-6, makes a lot of sense for both teams. Plus, how can you seriously doubt anything the Patriots do with a straight face?
I'm not as enamored with the Patriots as you and the media are. They have probably the best coach ever and the best QB ever. Their draft picks, offseason moves, and everything else is no better than the Cowboys. Best coach/best QB combo will win you multiple SB's and make everything else look much better than it actually is.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not as enamored with the Patriots as you and the media are. They have probably the best coach ever and the best QB ever. Their draft picks, offseason moves, and everything else is no better than the Cowboys. Best coach/best QB will win you multiple SB's and make everything else look much better than it actually is.

I'm just looking the facts straight in the eye. They are the best run organization in football and its been that way for a long time. Comparing them to the cowboys and our clown of a GM is laughable.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
I'm just looking the facts straight in the eye. They are the best run organization in football and its been that way for a long time. Comparing them to the cowboys and our clown of a GM is laughable.
Their owner supports sex trafficking. You should google that sometime.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score

Oh bs. No single player makes you sb bound. It's a stinkin team sport otherwise we would be in the sb.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Great, great, trade.

And to think, nearly everyone was saying we gave up way too much.

After Galloway and Roy Williams, you gotta let Cowboys fans be angry over trading a first round pick for a WR.

Cooper sold us pretty quickly on it